2018 Prospect: DT Bobby "Tre" Brown Flips Back to TAMU

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Not too surprised here. Mom wanted him close to home and I dig that. I wish the kid and his family the best really. Although I would like to have had him I am glad not to have to worry about his qualifying and getting on campus. That would be worse news that this flipping incident. Good luck.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Re: **** DT Bobby "Tre" Brown Commits to Bama ****

Exactly, recruiters are master salesmen , they are good at what they do
Right. Some recruiters are great at selling their product to a player, and, as hard as it as for a Bama fan to believe, some players have their own good reasons for choosing another school.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
At Bama he’s another guy, part of the process. At aTm he’s considered a centerpiece. That matters to some kids, the attention and context.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Just saying three straight years of "next year defensive line will be a priority" is a trend that will kill us in SEC play down the line.
I tend to agree Chop, we've been on the wrong end of these more often than not. Really, when compared to every position, I think D-line may be the weakest position consistently recruited over the course of the Saban era. I'm not saying we haven't gotten our fair share of pure beasts, but other than Hand we don't ever sign the top rated guys from each class. They always give us a look, but we've lost many head-to-head battles with Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, Florida State, and a few others for the guys at the top. I've always scratched my head at this with the talent we've placed in the NFL. It's like every other position gets it except those guys.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I tend to agree Chop, we've been on the wrong end of these more often than not. Really, when compared to every position, I think D-line may be the weakest position consistently recruited over the course of the Saban era. I'm not saying we haven't gotten our fair share of pure beasts, but other than Hand we don't ever sign the top rated guys from each class. They always give us a look, but we've lost many head-to-head battles with Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, Florida State, and a few others for the guys at the top. I've always scratched my head at this with the talent we've placed in the NFL. It's like every other position gets it except those guys.
I wonder if it is because of the function of Bama's DL: eating up blockers, thus, less aggression, less opportunity to "make plays"? I wonder if that is the reason for Tosh's reported "change in DL philosophy"? If I were a DL, I wound not want to play in Bama's scheme. OTOH, LB is another story, thus, the great LB recruiting.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I wonder if it is because of the function of Bama's DL: eating up blockers, thus, less aggression, less opportunity to "make plays"? I wonder if that is the reason for Tosh's reported "change in DL philosophy"? If I were a DL, I wound not want to play in Bama's scheme. OTOH, LB is another story, thus, the great LB recruiting.
That`s an interesting thought. I wonder if the staff gathers any " intelligence " as to why kids, in this case D line, don`t sign with us? It`d be fascinating to know if they`ve ever heard anything like this.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It has always been that way. If coaches can get players to believe Bama doesn't play freshmen, how hard do they have to sell low sack numbers (what defensive players all want because it makes sports center) for our defensive linemen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You make a good point but on the other hand almost all of our inside guys go onto the NFL. It is probably a combination of this and having a DL coach who is not a great recruiter over the past several years.

Cody
Chapman
Robinson
Reed
Payne

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Allen...Tomlinson...
You make a good point but on the other hand almost all of our inside guys go onto the NFL. It is probably a combination of this and having a DL coach who is not a great recruiter over the past several years.

Cody
Chapman
Robinson
Reed
Payne

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Cody
Chapman
Robinson
Reed
Payne
I obviously didn't mean they sign no one. And as you insinuated, the NFL recognizes that good DL play is not necessarily reflected in stats. I'm talking about perception, not real production. It seems that over Saban's years that Bama's DL recruiting has not been as fruitful as one might have expected - certainly not like LB and secondary, where there are top 100 players all over the place. Only Allen, Robinson and Payne were highly ranked. (The JCs are hard to consider since many schools don't even consider them and they aren't compared to the HS kids.) I just would have expected far more highly regarded DL. I realize there are many factors involved, but Bama couldn't even sign Miller and Langham from the state this year. (It may not be fair to refer to them, since it's just a couple, and each individual recruitment has a story of its own.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.