News Article: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910
    Football and Basketball Moderator

Re: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by dtgreg View Post
    My Oklahoma buddies are thinking the NCAA is about to come calling, with a hammer. The quote was "We're waiting for the other shoe to drop. We've always had the best team money can buy." I mentioned the theory that Stoops might be pulling an Urban Meyer retirement so he can become a 10 mil a year man at Notre Dame in a year. They told me that would be wonderful but they're not buying it. Prepared for the worst.
    I don't think you leave an Oklahoma when you've got it humming - and practically own lifetime contract because of your consistent success over your career - unless you are truly done. Nouveau Gators might not understand this but Oklahoma is a more prestigious job than Florida. You don't leave OU for a year layover to coach at Notre Dame. You've already arrived at a top 5 school, there is no reason to leave. I think Bob Stoops got a concerning physical result and decided to cut his career short rather than risk his heart health.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    This is the one thing that irks me with some Sooners fans - pretending football began in 1936. They used to claim they had "the most national titles in the poll era," not true anymore. Just a bone of contention because it's an Auburn-like word parsing I don't care for.

And you didn't even mention Wallace Wade.....an .811 winning percentage at Alabama, two Rose Bowl wins and a tie in three appearances and went to Duke and they named the stadium after him. He didn't win any SEC titles because the SEC didn't exist until after he left Alabama. But Wade and Stallings in that group, too, puts us over the top as a whole in my view.
    To be fair, this wasn't asked by an OU fan, but a sports writer. And that's why I didn't mention Wade because of the parameters of the question.

When was Bennie Owen coach at OU? Was he pre-AP era?

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    To be fair, this wasn't asked by an OU fan, but a sports writer. And that's why I didn't mention Wade because of the parameters of the question.

When was Bennie Owen coach at OU? Was he pre-AP era?
    Yes, he was 1905-26.

Sorry, I had a brain lock on your point.