News Article: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Re: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    can't say i blame him
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

2. Advertisement

Stoops' statement:

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Wow

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    can't say i blame him
    If that's his real reason then I completely agree. Life is too short to not enjoy the ride and become consumed by some made up imaginary "destination". That causes people to work themselves to death while their families get neglected.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

As far as how much Stoops has made, I've done a little digging.

His 1998 signed contract at OU was for $625,000. He got three pay raises in his first 18 months on the job and was at $2 million per in the 2001 season (after which Florida offered him $3M a year to replace Spurrier). After the 2002 season, he was given a $100K bump to $2.3 million. This is just base salary, incentives and accomplishments not included.

So doing some Internet checking, I located these:

1999 - $625K
    2000 -
    2001 - 1.4 million
    2002 - 2.1 million
    2003 - 2.3 million
    2004 - 2.6 million
    2005 -
    2006 - 3 million
    2007 - 3.45 million
    2008 - total value was $6 million guaranteed (this was not just base fyi)
    2009 -
    2010 - $4.3 million
    2011 - $4.4 million
    2013 - $4.55 million
    2014 - 5.1 million
    2015 - $5.15 million
    2016 - $5.15 million

So he's over $45 million just in salary alone since 1999.

Oh, and I stumbled across this article from 2009.....and look at the author's name for a good laugh....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ach-notre-dame
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

Wow certainly applies in this case. I did not see that coming. Stoops seemed to be in a position where he could coach there about as long as he wanted. I guess that's now.

This does feel a bit like the Urban Meyer situation though. I could imagine him taking some time off and getting the itch again.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Bill McCartney, the Colorado coach from 1982-1994, suddenly (and shockingly) resigned after an incredibly successful 1994 season where his team wound up in the top five. When he was asked what you call it when a guy at the top of his profession quits with so many good years left, McCartney said, "Un-American."

However, he had home issues (his daughter, who infamously got knocked up by CU's late quarterback Sal Aunese, had been knocked up by a second one of his players and his wife and he were having some serious relationship issues due to an affair he'd had in the 1970s), he was an outspoken conservative Christian coach in a very liberal community, and he himself said (and I think of this with Stoops) "Not everyone has a job as stressful as being a college football coach" as he spoke of all the missed meals with family, missed vacations, and time out on the road recruiting.

So I hope Stoops doesn't have any hidden health issues, and I hope he enjoys his next adventure.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

Wow...interesting. It may be that he just wants time with his family. It isn't a bad day when you are in your mid 50's and can retire with that much money. I doubt that he is completely done with football though. I bet will see him later on in some capacity.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

I can't believe there wasn't something in that statement about "owning" the SEC.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPassion's Avatar

If he never coaches another game, his last victory will have been a win over Auburn. Not too shabby!!

Last edited by CrimsonPassion; June 7th, 2017 at 04:19 PM.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I watched a Netflix documentary on McCartney. I'm probably in the minority but I'm not that impressed with the guy to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Bill McCartney, the Colorado coach from 1982-1994, suddenly (and shockingly) resigned after an incredibly successful 1994 season where his team wound up in the top five. When he was asked what you call it when a guy at the top of his profession quits with so many good years left, McCartney said, "Un-American."

However, he had home issues (his daughter, who infamously got knocked up by CU's late quarterback Sal Aunese, had been knocked up by a second one of his players and his wife and he were having some serious relationship issues due to an affair he'd had in the 1970s), he was an outspoken conservative Christian coach in a very liberal community, and he himself said (and I think of this with Stoops) "Not everyone has a job as stressful as being a college football coach" as he spoke of all the missed meals with family, missed vacations, and time out on the road recruiting.

So I hope Stoops doesn't have any hidden health issues, and I hope he enjoys his next adventure.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Damn, we never beat him...

BamaNation All-American PitMaster's Avatar

Why no press conference?