News Article: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I just hope ESPN does not team him with Mac Brown to do a college football show. But you know ESPN. I do not recall even turning on ESPN since the end of the football season.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I understand him wanting to spend more time with his family, especially if he is older than his dad was when he died. Plus he has tons of cash, so he is set for life.

The timing is odd, but if he had been grooming this guy to takeover, then the transition won't be as bad.

I just hope he means it, unlike Urban Meyer. I have nothing against him, so I wish him well and a long, happy retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I watched a Netflix documentary on McCartney. I'm probably in the minority but I'm not that impressed with the guy to be honest.
Are you referring to "The Gospel According to Mac?"

I think Mac was human, that's all. The question about him was always whether or not he was 'compromising his values' to win. The one guy who really slammed him at the time, Rick Reilly, has character flaws of his own (like recycling old columns as if they're new).

I thought what he accomplished was amazing but I can also see why he made himself a really easy target. Where I'll give him credit is that while he made mistake after mistake in his responses to things, he seemed to at least be willing to self-reflect and become self-aware.

His name came up as a replacement in the coaching search at CU several years ago (in a sort of "Colorado imitates Kansas State" way) in 2010 when Mac actually let them know he was interested. But I read a LOT of negative online comments from folks who appreciated his winning the national title but didn't want him within 100 miles of Boulder, too.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am aware that he has beaten Bama every time he has played us but still can't help it: Bob Stoops will go down as the greatest High School HC in America (sorry Gus and Hugh).

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Something just doesn't seem right here and like Krazy said this reminds me of Urban Meyer all over again. I would not be surprised to see him coaching again.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
Many of you know I haven't been a Stoops fan for quite some time. I sold my season tickets I had for nearly thirty years in response to what I saw, maybe mistakenly, as a guy too comfy to be hungry. Warts and all, then brought Sooner football back from the dead. You folks know only too well that probation is designed to break your program, it broke OU football for the better part of ten years. Bob brought it back, and I will be thankful for that from now on.
Just a week or so ago, there was a lot of talk about Bob's son being recruited heavily, and that Bob didn't want him playing at OU. I just wonder if the timing has something to do with getting out of the way for his son to play wherever he wants.

Will he coach again? You heard it here first. Dallas Cowboys.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Once you turn 50 your life starts heading down the home stretch....like turning over an hour glass.

Can't blame anyone for shrinking the old hamster wheel while they still can.

Good for Coach Stoops.....wishing him all the best as he heads in another direction.

Love to see him coaching high school in some capacity one day, if he gets the itch to return to his profession. That would be awesome for the kids!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I can understand retiring given his dad's dying at a younger age than he is. I can relate since my dad died at 50 and I am 42. The closer I get to it the more aware I am of it. He may just hang it up forever and enjoy his millions and family.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Once you turn 50 your life starts heading down the home stretch....like turning over an hour glass.
I turn 50 Tuesday. Thanks for the encouragement.

Neither of my parents made it to 50 and I have always joked I wouldn't make it, either. So if I suddenly vanish in the next five days, thanks for the good times and Roll Tide.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I can understand retiring given his dad's dying at a younger age than he is. I can relate since my dad died at 50 and I am 42. The closer I get to it the more aware I am of it. He may just hang it up forever and enjoy his millions and family.
My dad passed away at 48. I'll be 63 on Sunday. Every situation is different so hard to put everyone in the same boat. But the one important constant is how time really does fly and tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Got to stop and smell the roses....while you can.

I turn 50 Tuesday. Thanks for the encouragement.

Neither of my parents made it to 50 and I have always joked I wouldn't make it, either. So if I suddenly vanish in the next five days, thanks for the good times and Roll Tide.
Sorry if what I posted hit home. Maybe it's a good thing. Think positive! And Happy Birthday in advance! :)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Something just doesn't seem right here and like Krazy said this reminds me of Urban Meyer all over again. I would not be surprised to see him coaching again.
As we all know Bob was under a lot of pressure to win another natty. When he looks at the schedule this year two things stand out. One, Oklahoma will not beat Ohio State if recruiting means a lot, and it does. Two, Texas has recruited at the same level as Oklahoma and now they appear to have a good HC again. I think the pressure was part of this. The fans will be up in arms when they lose to tOSU and then face a toss up game with Texas.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm not buying the " I want to spend more time with my family " line. That's boiler plate coachspeak and frankly standard language that a lot of people use to put a smiley face on a resignation. I think there's something else at work here, though not necessarily nefarious in the least. Bob is still very young and I'll think you'll see him on the sidelines--somewhere--in 2018.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I'm not buying the " I want to spend more time with my family " line. That's boiler plate coachspeak and frankly standard language that a lot of people use to put a smiley face on a resignation. I think there's something else at work here, though not necessarily nefarious in the least. Bob is still very young and I'll think you'll see him on the sidelines--somewhere--in 2018.
Interesting to think about: Stoops is from Big Ten country and coached in the ACC and Big Twelve. Can you see him replacing Riley at archrival Nebraska? :) Can you see him at Texas A&M, Tennessee?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Leaving a potential championship team? Hmmmm ... I have to believe the other shoe will fall in the next year. Maybe not something nefarious but more than "time with family". When I ask myself why I don't like him, I have to admit he is cocky and backed it up more often than not ... that and the fact the he pretty much owned us on our way back up. I have to wish him the best ... until he gets on the ESPN panel and Big Mouth Bob comes out again anyway :)

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
Or maybe Stoops is serious and wants to take it easy.

His Dad collapsed on the field at close to the same age and died on the way hospital. He might be serious about enjoying his family and his wealth.

Bingo! I think you've got it. Bob has millions in his investment portfolio and is probably tired of chasing 18 year old prima donna athletes. Also doesn't have "fire in the belly" that you have to have. Not too many Sabans out there that still have that burning desire to be the best. So yes, he's either burned out or bored by winning half of the Big XII Championships the last 18 years.
Do not think he will coach again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.