News Article: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Re: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I can understand retiring given his dad's dying at a younger age than he is. I can relate since my dad died at 50 and I am 42. The closer I get to it the more aware I am of it. He may just hang it up forever and enjoy his millions and family.
    My dad passed away at 48. I'll be 63 on Sunday. Every situation is different so hard to put everyone in the same boat. But the one important constant is how time really does fly and tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Got to stop and smell the roses....while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I turn 50 Tuesday. Thanks for the encouragement.

Neither of my parents made it to 50 and I have always joked I wouldn't make it, either. So if I suddenly vanish in the next five days, thanks for the good times and Roll Tide.
    Sorry if what I posted hit home. Maybe it's a good thing. Think positive! And Happy Birthday in advance!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Something just doesn't seem right here and like Krazy said this reminds me of Urban Meyer all over again. I would not be surprised to see him coaching again.
    As we all know Bob was under a lot of pressure to win another natty. When he looks at the schedule this year two things stand out. One, Oklahoma will not beat Ohio State if recruiting means a lot, and it does. Two, Texas has recruited at the same level as Oklahoma and now they appear to have a good HC again. I think the pressure was part of this. The fans will be up in arms when they lose to tOSU and then face a toss up game with Texas.
    If there is no God then there is no reason to be an atheist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I'm not buying the " I want to spend more time with my family " line. That's boiler plate coachspeak and frankly standard language that a lot of people use to put a smiley face on a resignation. I think there's something else at work here, though not necessarily nefarious in the least. Bob is still very young and I'll think you'll see him on the sidelines--somewhere--in 2018.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I'm not buying the " I want to spend more time with my family " line. That's boiler plate coachspeak and frankly standard language that a lot of people use to put a smiley face on a resignation. I think there's something else at work here, though not necessarily nefarious in the least. Bob is still very young and I'll think you'll see him on the sidelines--somewhere--in 2018.
    Interesting to think about: Stoops is from Big Ten country and coached in the ACC and Big Twelve. Can you see him replacing Riley at archrival Nebraska? Can you see him at Texas A&M, Tennessee?
    If there is no God then there is no reason to be an atheist.

BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar

Leaving a potential championship team? Hmmmm ... I have to believe the other shoe will fall in the next year. Maybe not something nefarious but more than "time with family". When I ask myself why I don't like him, I have to admit he is cocky and backed it up more often than not ... that and the fact the he pretty much owned us on our way back up. I have to wish him the best ... until he gets on the ESPN panel and Big Mouth Bob comes out again anyway

BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar

Re: BREAKING: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Take a year off -- make some TV Money
    Great, just what we want to hear, him bashing the SEC from a booth. Maybe he and Danny Kannell will do a podcast together.
    I changed my user name to something less boring. I am formerly known as WSIV70

"(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban

"I come in peace" -WSIV70

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Re: BREAKING: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma

Hopefully Owenfieldreams will give us some insight on this.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Or maybe Stoops is serious and wants to take it easy.

His Dad collapsed on the field at close to the same age and died on the way hospital. He might be serious about enjoying his family and his wealth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bingo! I think you've got it. Bob has millions in his investment portfolio and is probably tired of chasing 18 year old prima donna athletes. Also doesn't have "fire in the belly" that you have to have. Not too many Sabans out there that still have that burning desire to be the best. So yes, he's either burned out or bored by winning half of the Big XII Championships the last 18 years.
    Do not think he will coach again.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Lincoln Riley ready for this???

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Tarleton State, yes, Oklahoma, very doubtful. That's a top 10 gig.

I came hear to see if and what you all were saying because I've always respected you all...and I've enjoyed reading through this thread.

Bob has always said he didn't want to end up like his father. He's been saying that since the early 2000s.

I'm really shocked though because of the timing and because we seem to have a decent shot at another CFP appearance. And recruiting has gone well, and just because of the fact that he's been the HC here for two decades -- the best part of my life. Something I'll always treasure.

If the ball would have bounced a little differently against LSU in New Orlean or Florida in Miami (notice we played them both in their home states!) then Bob would be ranked as one of the greatest coaches of all time. I still think he's a first-ballot HOF inductee. The level of consistency he's given to OU has been amazing -- 190 wins in 18 years. Easy math, there.

And he's won all the major bowl games and 10 Big 12 titles -- there's basically nothing left accomplish other than winning another NC and that's a tough spot to be in as a coach because it's so difficult. I think that had to factor into his decision-making process.

I basically got to see this country --my country --from one side to the other following Oklahoma Football...in every major bowl game and big-time venue we played in from Southern California to the Pacific Northwest to South Beach and everywhere in-between...including Tuscaloosa. And that happened for me because he resurrected Oklahoma after the NCAA train wreck.

So I'll always be grateful to Bob. I wish him well in whatever he does.

I appreciate many of the comments I've read here on this forum. Cheers to you all. Enjoy Coach Saban while you have him.

BamaNation All-American

Stoops set the bar awfully high for himself by winning the title so early in his career. Good for him to be able to walk away from a job with unimaginable scrutiny and pressure.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Tarleton State, yes, Oklahoma, very doubtful. That's a top 10 gig.
    He might do pretty well this year (got a lot of talent), but may start dropping off later. Hard to tell right now.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll