News Article: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Re: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma

In my humble opinion Bob Stoops will go down as the greatest coach in Sooner history...and that's saying something. When you consider the times: limited s holarships, social media, restricted practice regulations, early NFL departure, the whole B.C.S. playoff drama, etc. Owen, Bud, or Barry never dealt with any of this. Bob's pragmatic decision to retire is classic STOOPS. There are many factors but I have been told that in the final analysis he just wanted to "live his life." His father died at 56 from heart disease and my sources tell me that he was told by doctor recently he needed to reduce his stress level. There are other factors as well but none are nefarious. He will stay on with the university in some capacity. Also, the timing is right...possible playoff team in 2017, recent facility upgrade completed, stable coaching staff, recruiting going well, and the perfect guy waiting in the wings to pass the baton to.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Thanks Coach Stoops
    Last edited by bamamc1; June 9th, 2017 at 02:56 PM.

It's a shame all of you couldn't have been in the stands at Owen Field that day. As the score mounted the OU student body began chanting "Roll Tide."

Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    In my humble opinion Bob Stoops will go down as the greatest coach in Sooner history...and that's saying something. When you consider the times: limited s holarships, social media, restricted practice regulations, early NFL departure, the whole B.C.S. playoff drama, etc. Owen, Bud, or Barry never dealt with any of this. Bob's pragmatic decision to retire is classic STOOPS. There are many factors but I have been told that in the final analysis he just wanted to "live his life." His father died at 56 from heart disease and my sources tell me that he was told by doctor recently he needed to reduce his stress level. There are other factors as well but none are nefarious. He will stay on with the university in some capacity. Also, the timing is right...possible playoff team in 2017, recent facility upgrade completed, stable coaching staff, recruiting going well, and the perfect guy waiting in the wings to pass the baton to.
    If he retired because of his dad and his doctor's opinion then good on him. I'm sure it was hard to let go but I'd rather squeeze a few more years out with family and not have to put those hours in.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post

Thanks Coach Stoops
    Now this was one time for sure that I was pulling for Oklahoma. I wanted at least 100 on their side of the scoreboard. Reason: Fran..........
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

I'm not sure we've seen the last of Big game Bob. After taking a year off, he may love not having to deal with coaching 24/7/365 and dealing with players who don't exhibit appropriate behaviors or he could get bored not being in the middle of the action.

Only TIME will tell but I agree with what he said about Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    You know, I was trying to figure out who actually brought the "spread" offense to the Big 12. Stoops brought it with him to Oklahoma. His first year there, they set several passing records. Of course, Oklahoma had been a wishbone offense even throughout the 80s, until Switzer was forced out. One of the coaches after Switzer went back to the wishbone for a year but it was a disaster.

So, I was trying to remember if it was Stoops who brought the spread to the Big 12. I think it was. Mike Leach was his OC that first season before he went to Texas Tech...

But I agree with your point. He did what he had to do to win at Oklahoma.

More than anything, it was was mike leach that flipped OU from a traditionally run-oriented O to one mainly driven by the pass--and after that the entire Big 12 followed suit. He was the OC that Bob brought in early on to install the spread O. Of course his exposure to Spurrier and the fun-and-gun did not hurt the cause...
    Last edited by deliveryman35; June 9th, 2017 at 11:25 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Bob said when he hired Leach that he made the decision based on his DC experience at Florida. He said that of all the O schemes he faced while in Gainesville, the most difficult to defend was at Kentucky. Of course, Leach found when he got to Norman there was no quarterback enrolled capable of running such a scheme so he recruited a little known juco quarterback from Snow J.C. in Utah named Josh Heupel. As the Hal Mumme spread flourished in the Big 12 the southern division became, with the SEC West, the strongest division in college football. Over the years, the OU offense evolved over time with more than one coordinator having a hand in the scheme. Riley seems to have reached a balance incorporating a power running game with a spread, hurry-up concept. Sooner fans my age still miss the split-t and the wishbone but no-one can argue with our success in our current O.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    For some folks it's live to work, instead of work to live.
    Coach Bryant once said he'd "croak in a week" if he ever quit coaching. He lasted about a month.

Of course, he had severe health issues due to his drinking and smoking, but I wonder how he would have enjoyed retirement and if he'd have spent much time peering over Perkins' shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

I've never been a fan of Stoops, but, I can have respect for a person that retires on their own terms..

At least one thing is true about Stoops...Bob Stoops > Mack Brown.

BamaNation First Team

My Oklahoma buddies are thinking the NCAA is about to come calling, with a hammer. The quote was "We're waiting for the other shoe to drop. We've always had the best team money can buy." I mentioned the theory that Stoops might be pulling an Urban Meyer retirement so he can become a 10 mil a year man at Notre Dame in a year. They told me that would be wonderful but they're not buying it. Prepared for the worst.
    A
    A
    Well, get un-tired, because tonite is 2-for-1 crab legs at Captain O’Landers.

Quote Originally Posted by dtgreg View Post
    My Oklahoma buddies are thinking the NCAA is about to come calling, with a hammer. The quote was "We're waiting for the other shoe to drop. We've always had the best team money can buy." I mentioned the theory that Stoops might be pulling an Urban Meyer retirement so he can become a 10 mil a year man at Notre Dame in a year. They told me that would be wonderful but they're not buying it. Prepared for the worst.
    Why? I don't recall anything to suggest OU has been under investigation or anything.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson