Jim Piersall Former MLB Player Dead at 87

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...or-leaguer-jim-piersall-dies-at-87/102487646/

Did not see this posted anywhere, can't believe we missed it. The former Red Sox outfielder endured hoffific mental issues his entire life and his life was portrayed in the movie Fear Strikes Out. I remember once when he had one of his episodes he hit a home run and and rounded the bases starting with third base. Another player of my youth gone. RIP Jimmy.

ETA. Should be spelled Piersall.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw this a couple of days ago elsewhere. My dad was a huge Barons fan and we listened to every broadcast. His antics were hilarious and scary all at the same time...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I was also surprised to see that he lived that long. The stories that were told about him! I hope he found calm and was in good health in the latter part of his life. He was often on a national stage with his illness manifested.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I saw this a couple of days ago elsewhere. My dad was a huge Barons fan and we listened to every broadcast. His antics were hilarious and scary all at the same time...
Everyone remembers the scene form the movie based on his life where (I think it was) Anthony Perkins portraying him climbed the backstop at Rickwood Field while he was with the Barons, but my dad tells a story of him taking a called strike 3 in a game at Rickwood and pulling a water gun from his back pocket and shooting the umpire in the face.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Everyone remembers the scene form the movie based on his life where (I think it was) Anthony Perkins portraying him climbed the backstop at Rickwood Field while he was with the Barons, but my dad tells a story of him taking a called strike 3 in a game at Rickwood and pulling a water gun from his back pocket and shooting the umpire in the face.
I was actually listening to the water pistol game... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.