2018 4* OLB Quay Walker Flips to UGA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: *** 2018 4* OLB Quay Walker Commits to Bama *** (Announcing 10 a.m.)

Worst kept secret ever. Cases like this make me wonder why Saban didn't pull the offer months ago.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Worst kept secret ever. Cases like this make me wonder why Saban didn't pull the offer months ago.
Heck, he might have. We wouldn't know though since Saban isn't going to publicly comment.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

Let's just see if GA can keep up with the hype of 5* athletes. First you get them to sign, then you must develop them. They have to get over a prima donna attitude first. I agree, with all of the expectations fans have on Kirby, let's just see how this goes. JMO and it's not worth much.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Let's just see if GA can keep up with the hype of 5* athletes. First you get them to sign, then you must develop them. They have to get over a prima donna attitude first. I agree, with all of the expectations fans have on Kirby, let's just see how this goes. JMO and it's not worth much.
With this type of talent, Kirby will need to win big and do it quickly, IMHO. And by "win", I`m not talking about just getting to the national championship game, much less just winning the SEC.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Heck, he might have. We wouldn't know though since Saban isn't going to publicly comment.
Kind of like V. Jackson knew what he was doing and said no LOI for you. Not insinuating walker didn't get one

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

With this type of talent, Kirby will need to win big and do it quickly, IMHO. And by "win", I`m not talking about just getting to the national championship game, much less just winning the SEC.
Agreed. The "star ratings", while helpful, don't really mean that much to me. This ain't high school football any more. IMHO

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Al.com posted an unsubstantiated report that Kirby asked him to wait till NSD to maximize the flip from Bama. Anyone else out there still wishing him well?

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Al.com posted an unsubstantiated report that Kirby asked him to wait till NSD to maximize the flip from Bama. Anyone else out there still wishing him well?
uhhhh...not me...especially after the well known stunt he pulled when he left. Kirby can kick rocks for all I care....we will see if Pruitt turns out that way, but I highly doubt it since he was a Bama guy. I hope Pruitt waxes Kirby next year and from here on out, and I freaking hate UT LOL.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I hope this doesn't surprise anyone. The flip was expected. Why else wait until today?

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
True that Kirby isn't Saban, but the first step to becoming like CNS is recruiting like him. I'd say step 1 has been taken.

I think we'd be whistling past the graveyard to not acknowledge he's building something that, with good coaching, ought to produce some results.

This is not to say they become the king of the SEC, but I think Bama/Georgia becomes an annual showdown for the SEC more years than not.

Considering he is not Saban, and the verdict is still out on his coaching acumen, I'll add that the next 2 years will go a long way in revealing what kind of HC Kirby is going to be. With a class like this, there's going to be the highest of expectations. No excuses really after a class like this.
While I agree Kirby has completed step 1 I’m not sold on him, yet. He has won with Richt’s recruits. The next 2 years, player development, will definitely show us what kinda HC Kirby will be with his own recruits.

Not sold on annual SEC showdowns of Bama/Georgia either. Florida hit a home run in hiring Mullen. In my opinion, Mullen will challenge for the east an may overtake Kirby by 2019 or 2020. I think Mullen is a really good HC an putting him in Florida where he can recruit elite athletes is a dangerous mixture that is gonna turn Florida around very quickly.

I do think it’ll be Bama/Georgia for the SEC for the next year or two but I’m fully expecting it to be Bama/Florida on a regular basis by 2020 at the latest.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
While I agree Kirby has completed step 1 I’m not sold on him, yet. He has won with Richt’s recruits. The next 2 years, player development, will definitely show us what kinda HC Kirby will be with his own recruits.

Not sold on annual SEC showdowns of Bama/Georgia either. Florida hit a home run in hiring Mullen. In my opinion, Mullen will challenge for the east an may overtake Kirby by 2019 or 2020. I think Mullen is a really good HC an putting him in Florida where he can recruit elite athletes is a dangerous mixture that is gonna turn Florida around very quickly.

I do think it’ll be Bama/Georgia for the SEC for the next year or two but I’m fully expecting it to be Bama/Florida on a regular basis by 2020 at the latest.
And Muschamp has made progess at USCe. I think it's enough to make UGA sweat just a little bit. We'll see.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I haven't seen a surprising class like this since the days of Hugh Freeze. What kind of snake oil are they selling in Georgia?
I'm not sure there is anything Smart wouldn't do to get a recruit. Things may turn out the same.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
uhhhh...not me...especially after the well known stunt he pulled when he left. Kirby can kick rocks for all I care....we will see if Pruitt turns out that way, but I highly doubt it since he was a Bama guy. I hope Pruitt waxes Kirby next year and from here on out, and I freaking hate UT LOL.
It worked for him this time around.............but now he will have the same done to him by Pruitt, Mullen, Dabo and a few others. The shoe will be on the other foot from now on, and we shall see how he likes getting a taste of his own medicine. At one time I would have thought he would be a great coach to come in when Saban retires, but now I wish him no good will...............I'd love to see him succumb to the pressure at UGA that comes when you don't win the NC or the SEC................to heck with him

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

we have seen at Bama and other high profile schools, these elite blue chippers are very impatient. let's see how many guys from this great 2018 class remain intact the next few years. Saban has been the master of keeping the studs at bay until their time. can Kirby do the same? time will tell.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
From everything I can tell Pruitt handled everything the right way, unlike Kirby. I'm with you on the UT-UGA game for the foreseeable future!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.