What will the roster look like for 2018? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar

Re: What will the roster look like for 2018?

Here's some good news from Jake Walters for the roster next year. Didn't see it mentioned anywhere else.:

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

2. Advertisement

Alabama Baseball: MLB Draft poaches some of Alabama’s high-profile recruits

The 2017 MLB draft was held on Monday-Wednesday this week. As expected, two high profile recruits that were signed by Alabama, Bubba Thompson and Jacob Heatherly, were taken early and will forego college to sign professional contracts.

Thompson, an outfielder out of McGill-Toolen High School in Mobile, was the 26th pick of the first round, chosen by the Texas Rangers. The slot money for that postion is listed at 2.45 million dollars. Thompson announced on Twitter that he would sign.

Heatherly, a left handed pitcher out of Cullman, was a third round pick, 77th overall. The 77th pick is slated to be paid $743,000. Heatherly looks poised to sign as well.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

I don't envy the numbers issue CBB is inheriting. Goff offered 8-9 scholarships to the gaggle who signed LOI's. The 5 seniors had 1.5 between them. Our 2 signees reportedly had 1.5 between them. That leaves CBB 5-6 short to fit all the signees.

A best case scenario is Taylor and Suchey sign freeing up one. Lumpkin has left the team and was on big money, not sure why as he isn't D1 material.

That still leaves us at least 3-3.5 short. If Taylor and Suchey come back, 4-4.5. At that point we have 2 options. Yank a kids offer which I believe is binding to both parties. Not to mention it could hurt us on the recruiting trail..... Or, convince some kids to leave. We'd have to be careful there not to raise the eyebrow of the NCAA.

The best bet would be for CBB to have the kids who were freshman this year on big $$ that don't need to be, sit down with the parents and tell them "your kid has his scholarship but is being removed from the team." Then tell them "I will do all I can to get them $$ at a new school, short of that, they are welcome to stay but will not be part of the team going forward."

Chances are enough will leave b/c they want to play. Byrne told them in the team meeting that would likely happen so, I'd bet some who didn't play are already looking.

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    I don't envy the numbers issue CBB is inheriting. Goff offered 8-9 scholarships to the gaggle who signed LOI's. The 5 seniors had 1.5 between them. Our 2 signees reportedly had 1.5 between them. That leaves CBB 5-6 short to fit all the signees.

A best case scenario is Taylor and Suchey sign freeing up one. Lumpkin has left the team and was on big money, not sure why as he isn't D1 material.

That still leaves us at least 3-3.5 short. If Taylor and Suchey come back, 4-4.5. At that point we have 2 options. Yank a kids offer which I believe is binding to both parties. Not to mention it could hurt us on the recruiting trail..... Or, convince some kids to leave. We'd have to be careful there not to raise the eyebrow of the NCAA.

The best bet would be for CBB to have the kids who were freshman this year on big $$ that don't need to be, sit down with the parents and tell them "your kid has his scholarship but is being removed from the team." Then tell them "I will do all I can to get them $$ at a new school, short of that, they are welcome to stay but will not be part of the team going forward."

Chances are enough will leave b/c they want to play. Byrne told them in the team meeting that would likely happen so, I'd bet some who didn't play are already looking.
    Good post Wylie and I think your thoughts are good. With the scholarship limitations you have to be creative in the way you give and take the money.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    Good post Wylie and I think your thoughts are good. With the scholarship limitations you have to be creative in the way you give and take the money.
    Yeah, I just hope it does not get ugly. Telling kids they do not have room at this late date is horrible and could really ruin recruiting relationships with the HS coaches. (Also I'm pretty positive the LOI's are binding so we HAVE to produce the money.)

As much as I want Suchey and Taylor back, they need to sign their pro contracts. If that happens, we will then only need a few kids to leave. My understanding is a few redshirting had left before the season ended.

I definitely expect us to be greatly improved under CBB next spring.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

I doubt it word hurt recruiting down the road. A couple guys might get screwed (thanks to Coach Goof), but hopefully high school coaches will understand the situation and not hold it against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I doubt it word hurt recruiting down the road. A couple guys might get screwed (thanks to Coach Goof), but hopefully high school coaches will understand the situation and not hold it against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Short term it could hurt as coaches may warn their kids about coming to BAMA until CBB gets the roster issues under control. Long term, probably not a huge deal as long as CBB reaches out and is a good relationship builder.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

Let's just hope we do have a 'long term' coach right now. Sounds like Jake Walters thinks we do.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cjhadley View Post
    Bubba Thompson was drafted 26th by the Texas Rangers.
    Yeah, heard that, during the stRangers game. He was introduced to everyone today, and was just interviewed during the game.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own, to do as I please."

Quote Originally Posted by cuda.1973 View Post
    Yeah, heard that, during the stRangers game. He was introduced to everyone today, and was just interviewed during the game.
    Hey CUDA, your Strangers are back to .500 and only a game out of the 2nd WC. What I say about a month ago? TX will make the playoffs and win 90+ games. Y'all are getting healthy as the 'Stros are losing starters like BAMA threw WP's. TX still has a legit shot at the AL West.

Well Suchey signed with the Royals, so that should help out scholarship situation a bit and hurt our potential pitching staff next year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

I definitely don't have "high hopes" for next year after Goof was fired this late in the year and CBB not having much time to make an impact on this incoming class. I do expect us to rail the barn in state for next years class though. I'm sick of seeing big names leave for other places like the barn, Vandy and MSU. Of course there is no way we get all the top kids because of the draft and lottery scholarships, but we do put out good talent in state every year. The draft and signees at top colleges prove that.

I hate we cancelled our camps this summer. Really will set us behind on recruiting with the kids who are going to be Soph/Jr's this fall. I have a feeling the Sr's probably already have committed but, the Jr's are the ones who will be committing soon.