What will the roster look like for 2018?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Interesting to me is with DeVinny and Poe having graduated and with Webb and Poe transferring we do not have a catcher with any experience. I believe we have a Juco coming in but..... I am glad that CBB was able to talk to some of the returning guys and get them to look elsewhere. Would've been a nightmare had they refused to give up their spot.

Ozark Ike

Feb 27, 2017
Very interesting WTT...entering fall practice without a catcher that has caught 1 pitch in D1 competition...and CBB didn't want Webb to compete for playing time.
Interesting to me is with DeVinny and Poe having graduated and with Webb and Poe transferring we do not have a catcher with any experience. I believe we have a Juco coming in but..... I am glad that CBB was able to talk to some of the returning guys and get them to look elsewhere. Would've been a nightmare had they refused to give up their spot.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Catcher is a concern. I'm very high on Praytor but it would've been nice to have DJ Petrinsky, who put up huge numbers in JUCO this past season, stay with us. Unfortunately he went to Texas after the coaching change. That leaves us, unless I am missing something, with only Praytor and Jake Sims coming in. Sims did well his freshman year in JUCO but dipped significantly this past season.

I have a hard time seeing us not taking our lumps with Praytor this season. His bat will play right away. Hopefully he's ready to handle the defensive responsibilities, and hopefully he stays healthy.

Mtram

Jul 13, 2017
Kauffman was the day 1 starter last season but got injured and was only DH much of the year. Odds are there is a 3rd catcher no one is aware of. The name Matt Malkin was mentioned last week so he may be coming.

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
Its been too quiet...any news? I am just a fan but I am curious if you guys who have insights have heard anything about the roster in the last few days!

Mtram

Jul 13, 2017
It appears that John Trousdale will be coming back rather that going to Shelton. Another site has posted it and a reliable source has confirmed it. Pretty sure JT Salter is not coming anymore.

Last edited:

Ozark Ike

Feb 27, 2017
When a kid is living a dream...playing for UA and competing in the SEC while making the Dean's list...and receives a phone call giving him 3 choices. 1. Remain a student with scholarship money but you can't play baseball. 2. Your parents pay the total cost and you can walk on. 3. You can transfer.

To a kid that truly loves the University of Alabama and the game of baseball...and who's parents can't afford the total cost...this was most disappointing. To say that a player "jumped ship" is to imply that he quit...and I think is grossly unfair to the kids. I don't believe there was a quitter on the 2017 roster. Sincere best wishes to those that chose to transfer....RTR

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
You a Cullman guy right? I bet those were some great games!
Hartselle. They weren't really :)...the first, my oldest started on the mound. 48deg and a tight zone. He did his job and put it across the plate...they did theirs and hit it...defense didn't do theirs and made 5 errors in 2 innings. The other game I remember was in the hoover buc classic, it was a better game...but I'm thinking we were getting short on quality pitching. Saw Russellville beat them 1-0 at Hartselle one nite, heckuva game there. We followed that one up beating rhs and their au commit 3-2.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
That's right Hartselle. When I was playing h.s. ball I remember Hartselle and Tallassee playing one year in the finals I think it was. Both teams were no joke!

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
With students showing up this weekend, do we have a final understanding of who is or is not going to be on the roster as of start of fall workouts?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
That's right Hartselle. When I was playing h.s. ball I remember Hartselle and Tallassee playing one year in the finals I think it was. Both teams were no joke!
gman, who was that CF for Hartselle in the late 90's that came to Bama? I remember he was on those Hartselle teams too.

I'm with Ebay, I'm interested in seeing how things totally played out in the end.

Mtram

Jul 13, 2017
Coach Bo said the roster was 37 for the fall. I assume that includes Love and Rukes who had Tommy John. If they are declared out for the 2018 season, they will not count toward the 35 man roster. There was an open tryout this past Thursday with around 22 or so players participating. No idea if any of them made the fall roster.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.