What will the roster look like for 2018?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
There is a lot of knowledge here and I was wondering if anyone had a clue what CBB is going to with the roster for next year's squad?

Rtr

Ozark Ike

Feb 27, 2017
At this time I think we can only wait until the MLB free agent draft concludes next Wednesday. Then CBB will have more information regarding the list of eligible players he can choose from regarding the 27 player roster.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Bubba Thompson from what I hear is at worst a 2nd rounder and he is going to the draft itself. Many think the Dodgers will take him at 23.

Heatherly is going to go pretty high too, so I imagine we lose both sadly. Haven't heard a whole lot on the others yet.

Ozark Ike

Feb 27, 2017
If Thompson is drafted by the Dodgers as the 23rd pick...would certainly expect him to sign, with that slot value being $2,573,800. Regarding Heatherly...BA latest top 500 projection has him at number 63...a Red Sox pick with a slot value of $946,500...if this happens then I agree we probably lose both players.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The draft will likely claim 2 or 3 of our signees. Before Goff was dismissed, several of our draft eligible under classmen made it known they were going to move on as long as they were drafted and a couple of others are transferring. I have heard they are reconsidering now that Goff is gone.

Even after the draft plays out, it may be until after fall practice until they have the roster 100% figured out. As Byrne told the team when he met with them " All scholarships are being honored. However, there is no guarantee they will have a roster spot". He made that point 2x.

Ozark Ike

Feb 27, 2017
Does anyone know an online source that would have the name of each signee? As always will be following the draft closely...just for the love of the game.

Ozark Ike

Feb 27, 2017
Speculation really starting to heat up on draft day. Latest projection from BA posted at 9:07 AM EDT has Thompson going to the Rays at number 4 due to the improvement of his bat over the last six months. Hope it works out for the kid and his family...pick number 4 slot value is $5,860,000

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Holy smokes!

Do y'all realize that there has NEVER been a first round draft pick from Mobile/Baldwin counties? Of course, this goes back a long time before we had the draft as we know it, but we are talking Billy Williams, Willie McCovey, Henry Aaron, Satchel Paige, Josh Donaldson, Jake Peavy, etc. An area of the country with a rich heritage of success in baseball.

rtr

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Goff has made a mess out of this roster. Thompson, obviously is gone. Not sure how much had been promised to him but you'd have to think it was a lot. Heatherly, a bit surprisingly, is still on the board. I doubt he lasts long today and I still expect him to sign, but if he was expecting to be a first rounder and now he's 3rd round at best, he's going to be getting at least $1.5 M less than he expected. At least gives him something to think about.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Goff has made a mess out of this roster. Thompson, obviously is gone. Not sure how much had been promised to him but you'd have to think it was a lot. Heatherly, a bit surprisingly, is still on the board. I doubt he lasts long today and I still expect him to sign, but if he was expecting to be a first rounder and now he's 3rd round at best, he's going to be getting at least $1.5 M less than he expected. At least gives him something to think about.
Looks like he's gone...

Alabama LHP signee Heatherly selected by Reds in 3rd round, leaning toward going pro

“It definitely wasn’t where I expected to go, but I’m really grateful for the opportunity,” Heatherly told the Decatur Daily/TimesDaily over the phone. “I put it in God’s hands and I knew he was going to take care of it. I’m just really excited for the future.”

But might that future also include Alabama?

While nothing is set in stone until he and his agent negotiate with the Reds, Heatherly is leaning toward forgoing his college eligibility and turning pro.

“I think I’m going to be a Cincinnati Red, but … we’re going to have to wait and see,” Heatherly said, “because it could be a few days before all the stuff works out.”

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Alabama Baseball: MLB Draft poaches some of Alabama’s high-profile recruits

The 2017 MLB draft was held on Monday-Wednesday this week. As expected, two high profile recruits that were signed by Alabama, Bubba Thompson and Jacob Heatherly, were taken early and will forego college to sign professional contracts.

Thompson, an outfielder out of McGill-Toolen High School in Mobile, was the 26th pick of the first round, chosen by the Texas Rangers. The slot money for that postion is listed at 2.45 million dollars. Thompson announced on Twitter that he would sign.

Heatherly, a left handed pitcher out of Cullman, was a third round pick, 77th overall. The 77th pick is slated to be paid $743,000. Heatherly looks poised to sign as well.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I don't envy the numbers issue CBB is inheriting. Goff offered 8-9 scholarships to the gaggle who signed LOI's. The 5 seniors had 1.5 between them. Our 2 signees reportedly had 1.5 between them. That leaves CBB 5-6 short to fit all the signees.

A best case scenario is Taylor and Suchey sign freeing up one. Lumpkin has left the team and was on big money, not sure why as he isn't D1 material.

That still leaves us at least 3-3.5 short. If Taylor and Suchey come back, 4-4.5. At that point we have 2 options. Yank a kids offer which I believe is binding to both parties. Not to mention it could hurt us on the recruiting trail..... Or, convince some kids to leave. We'd have to be careful there not to raise the eyebrow of the NCAA.

The best bet would be for CBB to have the kids who were freshman this year on big $$ that don't need to be, sit down with the parents and tell them "your kid has his scholarship but is being removed from the team." Then tell them "I will do all I can to get them $$ at a new school, short of that, they are welcome to stay but will not be part of the team going forward."

Chances are enough will leave b/c they want to play. Byrne told them in the team meeting that would likely happen so, I'd bet some who didn't play are already looking.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't envy the numbers issue CBB is inheriting. Goff offered 8-9 scholarships to the gaggle who signed LOI's. The 5 seniors had 1.5 between them. Our 2 signees reportedly had 1.5 between them. That leaves CBB 5-6 short to fit all the signees.

A best case scenario is Taylor and Suchey sign freeing up one. Lumpkin has left the team and was on big money, not sure why as he isn't D1 material.

That still leaves us at least 3-3.5 short. If Taylor and Suchey come back, 4-4.5. At that point we have 2 options. Yank a kids offer which I believe is binding to both parties. Not to mention it could hurt us on the recruiting trail..... Or, convince some kids to leave. We'd have to be careful there not to raise the eyebrow of the NCAA.

The best bet would be for CBB to have the kids who were freshman this year on big $$ that don't need to be, sit down with the parents and tell them "your kid has his scholarship but is being removed from the team." Then tell them "I will do all I can to get them $$ at a new school, short of that, they are welcome to stay but will not be part of the team going forward."

Chances are enough will leave b/c they want to play. Byrne told them in the team meeting that would likely happen so, I'd bet some who didn't play are already looking.
Good post Wylie and I think your thoughts are good. With the scholarship limitations you have to be creative in the way you give and take the money.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Good post Wylie and I think your thoughts are good. With the scholarship limitations you have to be creative in the way you give and take the money.
Yeah, I just hope it does not get ugly. Telling kids they do not have room at this late date is horrible and could really ruin recruiting relationships with the HS coaches. (Also I'm pretty positive the LOI's are binding so we HAVE to produce the money.)

As much as I want Suchey and Taylor back, they need to sign their pro contracts. If that happens, we will then only need a few kids to leave. My understanding is a few redshirting had left before the season ended.

I definitely expect us to be greatly improved under CBB next spring.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I doubt it word hurt recruiting down the road. A couple guys might get screwed (thanks to Coach Goof), but hopefully high school coaches will understand the situation and not hold it against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I doubt it word hurt recruiting down the road. A couple guys might get screwed (thanks to Coach Goof), but hopefully high school coaches will understand the situation and not hold it against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Short term it could hurt as coaches may warn their kids about coming to BAMA until CBB gets the roster issues under control. Long term, probably not a huge deal as long as CBB reaches out and is a good relationship builder.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.