What will the roster look like for 2018?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What will the roster look like for 2018?

There is a lot of knowledge here and I was wondering if anyone had a clue what CBB is going to with the roster for next year's squad?

Rtr

2. Advertisement

Re: What will the roster look like for 2018?

At this time I think we can only wait until the MLB free agent draft concludes next Wednesday. Then CBB will have more information regarding the list of eligible players he can choose from regarding the 27 player roster.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Bubba Thompson from what I hear is at worst a 2nd rounder and he is going to the draft itself. Many think the Dodgers will take him at 23.

Heatherly is going to go pretty high too, so I imagine we lose both sadly. Haven't heard a whole lot on the others yet.

If Thompson is drafted by the Dodgers as the 23rd pick...would certainly expect him to sign, with that slot value being $2,573,800. Regarding Heatherly...BA latest top 500 projection has him at number 63...a Red Sox pick with a slot value of $946,500...if this happens then I agree we probably lose both players.
    Last edited by Ozark Ike; June 11th, 2017 at 03:49 PM.

The draft will likely claim 2 or 3 of our signees. Before Goff was dismissed, several of our draft eligible under classmen made it known they were going to move on as long as they were drafted and a couple of others are transferring. I have heard they are reconsidering now that Goff is gone.

Even after the draft plays out, it may be until after fall practice until they have the roster 100% figured out. As Byrne told the team when he met with them " All scholarships are being honored. However, there is no guarantee they will have a roster spot". He made that point 2x.

Does anyone know an online source that would have the name of each signee? As always will be following the draft closely...just for the love of the game.

Speculation really starting to heat up on draft day. Latest projection from BA posted at 9:07 AM EDT has Thompson going to the Rays at number 4 due to the improvement of his bat over the last six months. Hope it works out for the kid and his family...pick number 4 slot value is $5,860,000

Holy smokes!

Do y'all realize that there has NEVER been a first round draft pick from Mobile/Baldwin counties? Of course, this goes back a long time before we had the draft as we know it, but we are talking Billy Williams, Willie McCovey, Henry Aaron, Satchel Paige, Josh Donaldson, Jake Peavy, etc. An area of the country with a rich heritage of success in baseball.

rtr

BamaNation Second Team

Bubba Thompson was drafted 26th by the Texas Rangers.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

2.5 million dollar slot too. He gone. I knew there was no way he went top 10.

Goff has made a mess out of this roster. Thompson, obviously is gone. Not sure how much had been promised to him but you'd have to think it was a lot. Heatherly, a bit surprisingly, is still on the board. I doubt he lasts long today and I still expect him to sign, but if he was expecting to be a first rounder and now he's 3rd round at best, he's going to be getting at least $1.5 M less than he expected. At least gives him something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Love the Ping View Post
    Goff has made a mess out of this roster. Thompson, obviously is gone. Not sure how much had been promised to him but you'd have to think it was a lot. Heatherly, a bit surprisingly, is still on the board. I doubt he lasts long today and I still expect him to sign, but if he was expecting to be a first rounder and now he's 3rd round at best, he's going to be getting at least $1.5 M less than he expected. At least gives him something to think about.
    Looks like he's gone...

Alabama LHP signee Heatherly selected by Reds in 3rd round, leaning toward going pro

It definitely wasnt where I expected to go, but Im really grateful for the opportunity, Heatherly told the Decatur Daily/TimesDaily over the phone. I put it in Gods hands and I knew he was going to take care of it. Im just really excited for the future.

But might that future also include Alabama?

While nothing is set in stone until he and his agent negotiate with the Reds, Heatherly is leaning toward forgoing his college eligibility and turning pro.

I think Im going to be a Cincinnati Red, but were going to have to wait and see, Heatherly said, because it could be a few days before all the stuff works out.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Of course. Not saying I blame him cause that's still a good amount of money, but damn I'd love to be on the receiving end of a "top draft pick forgoes signing and goes to school" type headline...