Link: College football's top 10 games of the past 10 years - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: College football's top 10 games of the past 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    It's tough to dispute the kick 6 game imo. I just happened to catch a show on it the other day. Consider it without the names:

#1 at #4
    #4 had been 3-8 previous year
    Conference title berth on the line
    #1 jumps out to 21-7 lead
    #4 answers to tie it at 21
    Multiple lead changes
    Biggest rivalry in the country
    National TV
    #4 had just won on a miracle the week before
    #1 is trying for a 3 peat
    Down late, the big RPO to tie
    The disputed 1 second
    And then the return

In truth, it was phenomenal game. Id put the first bama Clemson title game a close 2nd, but 2nd nonetheless. That the kick 6 was a rivalry game with the sec and national title implications, and bama going for 3 straight, this game was monumental.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    You can do this with a lot of games. Do it with the 2nd NCG or the 1st and you will have an equal or more impressive list but with IMO better games.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    For starters, you have to compile a list from each season. Before you vote feel free to add. These are just off the top of my head

App State-Michigan
    USC-Stanford
    LSU-Florida (five fourth down conversions on a drive for Les)
    LSU-Kentucky (triple overtime)
    LSU-Auburn
    LSU-Alabama
    LSU-Arkansas
    Ohio St-Illinois

Texas-Texas Tech (Harrell to Crabtree)
    Alabama-LSU (overtime)
    Florida-Oklahoma
    Oregon St-USC
    Ole Miss-Florida (the infamous upset that led to the Tebow speech)
    Arky-LSU
    UGA-Kentucky
    UGA-Ga Tech
    Ohio St-Texas (Fiesta Bowl)

Alabama-Auburn
    Washington-USC

Auburn-LSU
    Auburn-Alabama
    Auburn-Oregon
    Utah-BYU
    Alabama-Arkansas
    Nebraska-Okie St (51-41)
    LSU-Florida (Tigers win with six seconds left, 33-29)
    Wisconsin-Iowa
    Stanford-USC
    Okie-Okie Lite
    Nevada-Boise St

Alabama-LSU (game one)
    Okie St-Iowa St
    Boise St-TCU
    USCe-UGA
    Okie St-Kansas St (played at same time as LSU-Bama on another network)
    Vandy-Arky
    Mich St-Wisconsin (the infamous Hail Mary)
    Mich St-Wisconsin (the rematch in the B1G title game)
    Baylor-TCU
    USC-Oregon
    Baylor-OU
    Oregon-Wisconsin
    Arizona St-Mizzou (Tigers miss a winning FG at end and lose in OT)

Alabama-LSU (the Yeldon screen)
    Alabama-ATM
    Alabama-UGA
    N Dame-Stanford
    N Dame-Pitt
    N Illinois-Kent St (2 OT - MAC title game)
    Stanford-Oregon (Tide rises again)
    UNC-NC St
    Arizona-Nevada (N Mexico Bowl)
    S Carolina-Michigan (Clowney hit and fumble recovery)
    TCU-WVA (39-38 in OT)
    Wazzu-Washington
    Michigan-Northwestern (OT)
    Clemson-LSU (Chick-fil-A Bowl)

Alabama-Auburn
    Nebraska-Northwestern
    Ohio St-Michigan (42-41, helluva game)
    Alabama-ATM
    ATM-Duke
    FSU-Auburn (BCS title game)
    Auburn-UGA
    UGA-Tennessee
    ATM-Ole Miss
    ATM-Auburn
    Michigan St-Ohio St
    Oregon-Oregon St
    Oregon St-Utah (OT)
    Oregon-Stanford (there's a thread on here for this and it was hilarious)
    Miss St-Kentucky
    Miss St- Ole Miss

Ohio St-Alabama
    Alabama-Auburn
    Alabama-Ole Miss
    Michigan St-Baylor (Cotton Bowl)
    Baylor-TCU
    Houston-Pitt (25-point comeback in Armed Forces Bowl)
    Alabama-LSU (OT in Red Stick)
    Alabama-Miss St
    Miss St-Auburn
    Miss St-Ole Miss

Alabama-Ole Miss
    Alabama-Clemson
    Ole Miss-Arkansas
    Arkansas-ATM
    Ga Tech-FSU
    Miami-Duke
    Michigan-Michigan St
    Michigan St-Ohio St
    TCU-Oregon
    Tennessee-Georgia
    Alabama-Tennessee
    Cal-Texas
    Iowa-Michigan St
    Nebraska-Mich St
    BYU-Nebraska
    Florida-Tennessee
    Tennessee-OU
    OU-TCU

I'm sure I don't have some really good games but...knock yourselves out.
    This is a great list. I had forgotten about a lot of these games. Baylor vs OU in 2011 was incredibly fun to watch. This is proof that CFB is more fun than the NFL. I doubt many people(if any) could make a list of great entertaining games from the NFL for each year like this.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Also, I would include last year's OSU/UM game in my top 10 of the last decade.
    That game came to mind for me as well. I mean, we're discussing Kick 6 a lot and what might be the top game, but it seems like a lot of people didn't spend much time looking over the list. There are games the author declared to be top 10 games in the past 10 years:

8. East Carolina 51, Tulsa 49 on Sept. 5, 2010

7. Texas A&M 52, Duke 48, Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31, 2013

6. Missouri 36, Kansas 28 on Nov. 24, 2007

5. TCU 47, Oregon 41 (3OT), Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2, 2016

I mean, just look at that list. What was so great about any of those games? It's absurd, but clearly the writer has a lot of bias when putting the list together. I laugh at the idea that those are the best though, those games might, might have been top ten in the year they were played, but put them against the top games in the decade? Come on, it's a joke.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    That game came to mind for me as well. I mean, we're discussing Kick 6 a lot and what might be the top game, but it seems like a lot of people didn't spend much time looking over the list. There are games the author declared to be top 10 games in the past 10 years:

I mean, just look at that list. What was so great about any of those games? It's absurd, but clearly the writer has a lot of bias when putting the list together. I laugh at the idea that those are the best though, those games might, might have been top ten in the year they were played, but put them against the top games in the decade? Come on, it's a joke.
    The Oregon- TCU game was pretty entertaining, the Mizzou-KU game was a huge deal (2 vs 3) but wasn't a game until the 4th, the other two are absurd.

The Kick Six is probably the biggest and most important game in the last 10 years. The rematch was probably the more entertaining game but the scale wasn't the same.

Forgot about that Michigan State/Baylor Cotton Bowl. That was a great game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

I mean, just look at that list. What was so great about any of those games?
    I didn't see ECU/Tulsa.

But I DID see ATM/Duke, and it WAS a very entertaining game. Duke led by scores of 21-3 and were up 38-17 at the half. Manziel made a play where he went into the line, got back out without getting tackled, leaped a defender and then hit a short pass for a TD - this all on the same play. ATM took the winning lead on a 55-yard pick six.

I don't know where I'd rank it, but it was an exciting game. So, too, TCU-Oregon, with the huge comeback.

It's absurd, but clearly the writer has a lot of bias when putting the list together.
    The problem with this is that EVERYONE has bias, it's just not equally biased.

I'm guessing she ATTENDED the Mizzou game as a freshman and has fond memories just fwiw.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    She probably is young but then so is a lot of this board demographic.

In the last two years, I've had to explain:
    a) Bartles and Jaymes
    b) Howard Cosell
    c) Jimmy the Greek ("who?")

There's a 1992 clip on You Tube of Johnny Carson making fun - in the same monologue - of last year's two candidates. I was sharing this with a person at work and after indulging me this person said, "Who's Johnny Carson?"

That same day, I was having lunch with a hottie young enough to be my daughter and was referencing a scene from "When Harry Met Sally," which is only on AMC like every single day. She'd never even HEARD of it.
    Lol, I wonder which scene that could be? "I'll have what she's having."

As I went through the article I could think of a bigger/better game for almost every team that had a game on the list. It's not that these games weren't good games, it's that they aren't close to the best games.

I guess part of the problem here is that any list you try to "objectively" create won't be accurate because college football is about fandom more so than many sports. For Example: Texas A&M vs Duke might have been a really fun game to watch, but I would be shocked if a single A&M fan would rate that game over the 2012 game vs us. So, it's hard to make lists like this because part of what makes CFB so great is the bias of fandom.

2011 LSU @ Bama absolutely lived up to the hype. Hate the outcome, but a real heavyweight bout. it was the best.
    Roll Tide

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE24 View Post
    2011 LSU @ Bama absolutely lived up to the hype. Hate the outcome, but a real heavyweight bout. it was the best.
    I have to disagree. To a person that just likes the game of football and didn't care about the outcome, I can see how the game would have been boring.

No, I don't want every game to be 56-52, but I can see why someone would say the 2012 SECCG was a better game than the 2011 LSU game.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

The common denominator:

1. Most were high scoring games (so our defensive battles with LSU aren't going to make the list).
    2. Most ended with high drama (hard to get a more exciting ending that the 2013 Bama/barn ending - from a football perspective).
    3. Bama is the team people like to see lose because we are at the top of the heap.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I have to disagree. To a person that just likes the game of football and didn't care about the outcome, I can see how the game would have been boring.

No, I don't want every game to be 56-52, but I can see why someone would say the 2012 SECCG was a better game than the 2011 LSU game.
    Here is my issue with the 2011 LSU -Bama game.... tell me where you heard this narrative going into a LSU-Bama game in the last 10 years... LSU comes in with an incredible finesse defense, Stud receivers and running backs, but a horrible qb. While Bama comes in with an incredibly physical defense, great running backs and receivers, and a very competent quarterback. Answer: every LSU-Bama game except 07,12, and 13. LSU won mostly because our AJ was limited in what he was allowed to do and our kicking game was just bad that night. The rematch was more or less the type of game that the first one should have been.

The 2012 game in Baton Rouge was a way better game than either of the games in the 2011 season. Granted a big reason it was a good game was because Nuss called a horrible game, but it is an ongoing tradition of Bama OCs calling horrible games in BR. I seriously don't know if it is the noise, late season look at me moments, or sneaking out to NOLA the night before because we have had the most brain dead moments from our OCs since 2008 when we go down there.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 13th, 2017 at 01:51 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Here is my issue with the 2011 LSU -Bama game.... tell me where you heard this narrative going into a LSU-Bama game in the last 10 years... LSU comes in with an incredible finesse defense, Stud receivers and running backs, but a horrible qb. While Bama comes in with an incredibly physical defense, great running backs and receivers, and a very competent quarterback. Answer: every LSU-Bama game except 07,12, and 13. LSU won mostly because our AJ was limited in what he was allowed to do and our kicking game was just bad that night. The rematch was more or less the type of game that the first one should have been.

YouThe 2012 game in Baton Rouge was a way better game than either of the games in the 2011 season. Granted a big reason it was a good game was because Nuss called a horrible game, but it is an ongoing tradition of Bama OCs calling horrible games in BR. I seriously don't know if it is the noise, late season look at me moments, or sneaking out to NOLA the night before because we have had the most brain dead moments from our OCs since 2008 when we go down there.
    I believe its simply overthinking, and frankly, something that may have hurt along the way is CNS's history there. I'm sure the mood is very different the week before that game, especially when it's at Baton Rouge. Yes, I know "The Process" dictates that not be the case. But reality dictates otherwise.

The last really good offensive game I remember us having down there was probably 2002. Although 2008 wasn't that bad.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE24 View Post
    This is difficult to say.

If by 'lived up to the hype' you mean "was expected to be a close, defensive struggle won on the last play" then you most certainly have a legitimate argument. It was an "okay" game, but I think proof it's not as 'magic' as the Kick Six is this:

Moments after the Kick Six, non-Alabama fans who weren't partisans of (say) Ohio State or FSU began fantasizing about how a rematch between Alabama and Auburn on a neutral field would be "the REAL national championship." In the days after LSU-Alabama 2011, there was a national "we don't wanna see that one again" even before Okie State lost in Ames.

I think the proof Alabama was literally light years better than LSU in 2011 is the fact that seven different things went wrong in the regular season and yet it still took them overtime to beat us. Indeed, the overtime had more to do with them winning than anything because they had a decent kicker and got to START on the 25-yard line. Go back and look at the stats for the game. LSU only had 222 yards in regulation.....we had nearly that many yards just PASSING the ball with a still new game manager QB. Seventy-four yards......fully 1/3 of their regulation yardage - came on ONE hurry-up drive at the end of the first half.

LSU played "your quarterback can't beat us" and it was more precise to say "we didn't even allow our quarterback to TRY to beat" them.

Make no mistake: LSU was far and away the number two team.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma