Link: College football's top 10 games of the past 10 years

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Link

Saw this and found it absurd that the Kick Six was #1. Objectively, it was an entertaining enough game for those who didn't have a side to pull for but #1? No way.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
What game would you say belongs at #1? There haven't been many great games.
Alabama vs Clemson 2015 championship.

Easily one of the best football games I've ever seen. Regardless of who you root for, both teams played well. Incredible catches by Clemson, great heroics by Coker a few times.

Kickoff return for td.
Onside kick.

Holy crap, now I've gotta go to YouTube and watch it again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Link

Saw this and found it absurd that the Kick Six was #1. Objectively, it was an entertaining enough game for those who didn't have a side to pull for but #1? No way.
As much as I hate it - the Kick Six and nothing else is even close.

A year or so ago, ESPN was going over their "greatest sports games of the decade" selections. And TWO stood out far and away above others where even fans with no rooting interest chose these contests:

1) 2013 Iron Bowl
2) 2011 World Series Game 6

And only one of those is a cfb game.

And fwiw - my team close to heart lost BOTH of those games listed above......

I think the 2012 SEC title game was quite the barn burner myself.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
What game would you say belongs at #1? There haven't been many great games.
I don't know because lists like this are hard. But from Bama games alone I think I would rank both Bama vs Clemson games above the Kick Six and possibly our game vs Georgia in the SECCG (though I understand having kick six above this).

I can't remember when the OU vs Boise State game was but that is up there for me.

I fully accept that the Kick Six as a play is one of the craziest if not THE craziest in college football history. But, the whole game being ranked #1 just seems off to me. Auburn only threw for 97 yards! I know they ran for a billion but still. Maybe it's just me and I'm off base here

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
Just looking at the list from the top level shows its ridiculous. Apparently the going in consideration was that there couldn't be any defensive play involved.

Houston-Louisville?! - the game was irrelevant. Lots of scoring, might as well watch arena football.

Temple?!

Both AL Clemson games belonged on the list. The kick six game does not. Crappy game with exciting ending.

Very unimpressive list.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That the most recent Alabama/Clemson game is on the list but the first one is not is pretty egregious. Even with an unbiased view, that first game was better than the second, although the second was a fantastic game.

The Kick 6 game had the greatest ending, but it wasn't the greatest game. I like how we get three losses on the list, and no wins.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't know because lists like this are hard. But from Bama games alone I think I would rank both Bama vs Clemson games above the Kick Six and possibly our game vs Georgia in the SECCG (though I understand having kick six above this).

I can't remember when the OU vs Boise State game was but that is up there for me.

I fully accept that the Kick Six as a play is one of the craziest if not THE craziest in college football history. But, the whole game being ranked #1 just seems off to me. Auburn only threw for 97 yards! I know they ran for a billion but still. Maybe it's just me and I'm off base here
I'm thinking 'last ten years' is 'last ten seasons' and although that Boise St game was in 2007, it was for the 2006 season.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
That the most recent Alabama/Clemson game is on the list but the first one is not is pretty egregious. Even with an unbiased view, that first game was better than the second, although the second was a fantastic game.
The Kick 6 game had the greatest ending, but it wasn't the greatest game. I like how we get three losses on the list, and no wins.
I think most objective observers would say the second Alabama/Clemson game was better. It came down to the final seconds. Both great games, obviously.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think most objective observers would say the second Alabama/Clemson game was better. It came down to the final seconds. Both great games, obviously.
I think this might be my disconnect with the kick six. People weigh the end of games really heavily so last second games get huge boosts. But IMO the 1st NCG was a lot more exciting throughout the game regardless of who you were rooting for. The 2nd game seemed much slower paced and less exciting in the first 3 quarters. Both incredible games though and I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
It's too bad that what is objectively probably the greatest game is one I will never, ever - not even a highlight - watch again.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think this might be my disconnect with the kick six. People weigh the end of games really heavily so last second games get huge boosts. But IMO the 1st NCG was a lot more exciting throughout the game regardless of who you were rooting for. The 2nd game seemed much slower paced and less exciting in the first 3 quarters. Both incredible games though and I don't think you can really go wrong with either.
Yes. There was a lot more back and forth and several more big plays in that first game.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Link

I agree with you. No way it's the best game. The author of that piece seems pretty young, I'd be surprised to find out she was even watching cfb 10 years ago.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The author is Joan Niesen, whose undergrad is from Georgetown and her journalism degree is from the outstanding journalism school at Mizzou.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Looking at things from an Alabama point of view I think I'd have to put the Arky 53 Ole Miss 52 OT game played on Nov. 7 2015 in my top 10. That game was close all the way, had the crazy lateral play on 4th and 25, and put us in position to get into the SECCG and ultimately the NC.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For starters, you have to compile a list from each season. Before you vote feel free to add. These are just off the top of my head

App State-Michigan
USC-Stanford
LSU-Florida (five fourth down conversions on a drive for Les)
LSU-Kentucky (triple overtime)
LSU-Auburn
LSU-Alabama
LSU-Arkansas
Ohio St-Illinois

Texas-Texas Tech (Harrell to Crabtree)
Alabama-LSU (overtime)
Florida-Oklahoma
Oregon St-USC
Ole Miss-Florida (the infamous upset that led to the Tebow speech)
Arky-LSU
UGA-Kentucky
UGA-Ga Tech
Ohio St-Texas (Fiesta Bowl)

Alabama-Auburn
Washington-USC

Auburn-LSU
Auburn-Alabama
Auburn-Oregon
Utah-BYU
Alabama-Arkansas
Nebraska-Okie St (51-41)
LSU-Florida (Tigers win with six seconds left, 33-29)
Wisconsin-Iowa
Stanford-USC
Okie-Okie Lite
Nevada-Boise St

Alabama-LSU (game one)
Okie St-Iowa St
Boise St-TCU
USCe-UGA
Okie St-Kansas St (played at same time as LSU-Bama on another network)
Vandy-Arky
Mich St-Wisconsin (the infamous Hail Mary)
Mich St-Wisconsin (the rematch in the B1G title game)
Baylor-TCU
USC-Oregon
Baylor-OU
Oregon-Wisconsin
Arizona St-Mizzou (Tigers miss a winning FG at end and lose in OT)

Alabama-LSU (the Yeldon screen)
Alabama-ATM
Alabama-UGA
N Dame-Stanford
N Dame-Pitt
N Illinois-Kent St (2 OT - MAC title game)
Stanford-Oregon (Tide rises again)
UNC-NC St
Arizona-Nevada (N Mexico Bowl)
S Carolina-Michigan (Clowney hit and fumble recovery)
TCU-WVA (39-38 in OT)
Wazzu-Washington
Michigan-Northwestern (OT)
Clemson-LSU (Chick-fil-A Bowl)

Alabama-Auburn
Nebraska-Northwestern
Ohio St-Michigan (42-41, helluva game)
Alabama-ATM
ATM-Duke
FSU-Auburn (BCS title game)
Auburn-UGA
UGA-Tennessee
ATM-Ole Miss
ATM-Auburn
Michigan St-Ohio St
Oregon-Oregon St
Oregon St-Utah (OT)
Oregon-Stanford (there's a thread on here for this and it was hilarious)
Miss St-Kentucky
Miss St- Ole Miss

Ohio St-Alabama
Alabama-Auburn
Alabama-Ole Miss
Michigan St-Baylor (Cotton Bowl)
Baylor-TCU
Houston-Pitt (25-point comeback in Armed Forces Bowl)
Alabama-LSU (OT in Red Stick)
Alabama-Miss St
Miss St-Auburn
Miss St-Ole Miss

Alabama-Ole Miss
Alabama-Clemson
Ole Miss-Arkansas
Arkansas-ATM
Ga Tech-FSU
Miami-Duke
Michigan-Michigan St
Michigan St-Ohio St
TCU-Oregon
Tennessee-Georgia
Alabama-Tennessee
Cal-Texas
Iowa-Michigan St
Nebraska-Mich St
BYU-Nebraska
Florida-Tennessee
Tennessee-OU
OU-TCU

I'm sure I don't have some really good games but...knock yourselves out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While I realize none of us are fans of it, let's be honest: the Kick Six was the game with the MOST important historical value to the sport - it prevented the first-ever totally legit three-peat in college football history.

However, I actually think the UGA-Auburn GAME was better than the 2013 Iron Bowl. Georgia climbed up off the mat and took the lead only to lose it on a freak play. Alabama should - SHOULD - have won the Iron Bowl in 2013 by double digits. But for historic import one cannot mistake it.

I ran into a friend in Boston the next summer and up there they were STILL talking about that game being watched in bars the previous November. I'd never experienced anything like that in my life, especially when you remember the Red Sox won the championship a month earlier.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.