Second time in a month Pat Dye makes sense - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Second time in a month Pat Dye makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Like him or Hate him... Pat Dye is a hard nosed football guy. Red Neck too. That's not a lot of put on when he talks like a Reel Town bumpkin...
    Pat Dye wanted the Alabama job, didn't get it so he signed on at
    'Little Brother U'.
    Dye worked real hard to rub our noses in the fact he was a Auburn man now.
    I have never been a Auburn fan, but I got to hand it to them... The people in that area see him as some kind of Country Royalty. Dye and Tubby represent the only successes Auburn has really sustained in the last 1/4 Century... Pretty sad.
    Are we allowed to use the R-word?

2. Advertisement

This thread title deserves some sort of award...
    "I have never understood why it is 'greed' to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take the money someone else has earned.

- Thomas Sowell

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I've met Dye before. My impression is that he more plays the part than actually believes it. I think he understands to be successful at Auburn you need to make Alabama your number #1 priority. I think Tubberville, Bowden, and Chizik wanted to make Auburn a national power, and when things went south fans turned on them. Tubberville is probably the exception with his war with Lowder, Yella Fella, and Milton, but he sure didn't have the fan's support in the end.

BamaNation All-SEC dadleyblane5's Avatar

Betcha he'll catch alotta sh** around the plains for a long time for saying that.

BamaNation Second Team

I sat and talked with Coach Dye for a few hours several years ago. Very approachable and overall nice guy. A couple of things struck me. First he really loved and respected Coach Bryant. Second he does not hate Alabama. Met Coach Superior in St Augustine total opposite. TIFWIW

I always liked Dye. He spent a lot of time at Bama. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was him that told the story of his interview with Coach Bryant. He went an bought a new suit for the interview. Afterwards, Bryant said he like the new suit. Dye asked how he knew it was new. Bryant said you forgot to take the sticker off.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by barrytide View Post
    I sat and talked with Coach Dye for a few hours several years ago. Very approachable and overall nice guy. A couple of things struck me. First he really loved and respected Coach Bryant. Second he does not hate Alabama. Met Coach Superior in St Augustine total opposite. TIFWIW
    Certainly never met Spurrier personally, but to me he projected an image of being a totally egotistical jerk. Don`t know if that`s how he truly is or not.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Certainly never met Spurrier personally, but to me he projected an image of being a totally egotistical jerk. Don`t know if that`s how he truly is or not.
    This is how a conversation I once heard went when referring to Spurrier as a family man and a jerk:

Person 1: "Coach Spurrier is not the jerk that everyone makes him out to be. Just look at all the time we makes for his family and how much time he spends with them."
    Person 2: "That is because no one wants to hang out with the jerk. His family is forced to."

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    The media completely gave him a pass when he quit on his team in the middle of the season. That is total crap. If CNS were to take a look midyear and see imminent doom for the remainder of the year and quit, the media would be in full meltdown mode.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I took his comments to mean that Dye, though he may truly be an Auburn man to the core, nevertheless understands the natural order of things in this state and does not live in a fantasy world like many barn fans do.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American

I am surprised that Spurrier being a quitter is conveniently overlooked. Not quitting is fundamental, and he did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    The media completely gave him a pass when he quit on his team in the middle of the season. That is total crap. If CNS were to take a look midyear and see imminent doom for the remainder of the year and quit, the media would be in full meltdown mode.

Looking at it differently...

First college football game: 1869
    Number of Auburn champions: 2
    That's one per roughly 75 years.

Bama 16 national titles, or 14 more than Auburn.

In order to have the same number of titles, Auburn would have needed to begin playing roughly
    1050 years ago. This was about the time the Vikings Great Heathen Army sacked Britain. This was also when the Mayans dissapeared. It was the time of Charlemagne and was around the time the first Book was printed and gunpowder was developed.

So Pat is being very optimistic with 500 years.