Link: LSU Works Behind the Scenes to Kill Satellite Camp in Hammond Where Texas Was Expecte

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Interesting. Obviously Coach O is deadly serious about "building a fence" around Louisiana and Texas is one of the interlopers he plans to fence out. Probably Bama's haul of Louisiana talent last year really smarted and he intends to deny exposure to any major opponent to the greatest extent he possibly can. The LSU fanbase will probably be on-board with this.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The NCAA should not have opened this box but here we are. If people didn't see turf wars happening, they weren't paying attention.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, that is what these camps were suppose to help but I thought it was obvious that someone would start protecting the homeland and end up hurting more kids than sat camps would ever help.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Yeah, that is what these camps were suppose to help but I thought it was obvious that someone would start protecting the homeland and end up hurting more kids than sat camps would ever help.

Totally agree and just talking shop here but I can't imagine Texas or even Houston was going to find much here.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I don't give a rat's backside about his stupid fence. There are marginal kids being denied opportunities here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? Since you mentioned 1-star players in an earlier post, I presume these are the players you are referring to as marginal kids. I trust that you are aware that, to be technical about it, the 1-star rating is not really a talent rating but rather simply indicates that player has not been rated as yet? These kids could be anything from late blooming all-stars to kids that can't even play at the small high school level. In any case the reality is that Orgeron's paycheck is to some extent dependent on his success at retaining in-state talent for his own program, hence his desire to keep programs like Texas, Alabama, and others of the same ilk from siphoning off Louisiana talent, and that the satellite camps represent a threat to him. While I agree that it certainly isn't a very charitable position to take, nonetheless his motivation for attempting to protect his own turf from interlopers isn't that hard to comprehend given that he is on shaky ground employment-wise, and probably badly wants to preserve his job.

Candidly, I suspect the Orgeron probably doesn't give a rat's backside what any off fan forum denizens think about his tactics but rather is concerned about doing whatever he believes is necessary to keep that paycheck coming in. Please forgive me if I seem cynical but I've never viewed coaches as group as being a particularly altruistic lot.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I can't speak for CrimsonProf, but I think it is obvious sat camps are about major programs that can travel all over the country being able to get around elite prospects. The system was pitched as a way to bring opportunities to more marginal players. That was a lie. It is being proven a lie by the battle lines already being drawn by protective coaches w/r/t their in-state talent base.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Really? Since you mentioned 1-star players in an earlier post, I presume these are the players you are referring to as marginal kids. I trust that you are aware that, to be technical about it, the 1-star rating is not really a talent rating but rather simply indicates that player has not been rated as yet? These kids could be anything from late blooming all-stars to kids that can't even play at the small high school level. In any case the reality is that Orgeron's paycheck is to some extent dependent on his success at retaining in-state talent for his own program, hence his desire to keep programs like Texas, Alabama, and others of the same ilk from siphoning off Louisiana talent, and that the satellite camps represent a threat to him. While I agree that it certainly isn't a very charitable position to take, nonetheless his motivation for attempting to protect his own turf from interlopers isn't that hard to comprehend given that he is on shaky ground employment-wise, and probably badly wants to preserve his job.

Candidly, I suspect the Orgeron probably doesn't give a rat's backside what any off fan forum denizens think about his tactics but rather is concerned about doing whatever he believes is necessary to keep that paycheck coming in. Please forgive me if I seem cynical but I've never viewed coaches as group as being a particularly altruistic lot.
Yeah, I'm sure that Cornell and Delta Sate were going to be real competition with LSU.

Bellhaven did this *twice* in Birmingham and no one in Tuscaloosa or Auburn flinched.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Good job solely focusing on the 1-star comment instead of the entire picture.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Jumping back on this with a couple of points.

I don't expect Ed O to care what I think so that's frankly neither here not there.

While it's true that a 1* or 2* player could be a diamond in the rough - Eddie Jackson, Javier Arenas - it's also true that most of those players are who they are. Certainly Tom Herman and Major Applewhite are on the lookout for those players but the majority of those kids are, at best, hoping to play for a weak D1 school and more likely something lower. Not to mention that in a poor state like Louisiana, those kids can't just travel to camps all over the place. So under the guise of protecting his state, Orgeron has limited those kids' opportunity for exposure.

I hope this bites him, and bites him hard.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Major college coaches have no real ownership over their state talent pool but the NCAA rules allowing this has made it such that the major schools will certainly try exert force over high schools in such a way that isn't in the high school's students best interest. Most kids aren't playing in the SEC. They're looking for opportunities at UNA, UWA, and the like. Allowing major colleges to co-opt other school camps for their self-interest was a bad call. Pure and simple. It will do nothing but harm the kids who truly will go pro in something other than football the second they walk off the high school graduation podium. Allowing the major colleges to exert this force over the system so they can wall off the 10-20 guys in their state who will go pro is absolutely absurd.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Coming from a football family I can tell you that these camps are as essential as Prof suggests. The vast majority of the better HS football players hope to continue their dream by playing in college, and most need the scholarships of smaller schools to make that a reality. I hate what Harbaugh tried to do to camps, but this is worse.

If you have a son or nephew playing the sport, you understand. These camps win the smaller guys scholarships at smaller schools. Without them, college dreams die. Not just college football dreams, but college dreams, and dreams of a better future for themselves and their families.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Jumping back on this with a couple of points.
I don't expect Ed O to care what I think so that's frankly neither here not there.
While it's true that a 1* or 2* player could be a diamond in the rough - Eddie Jackson, Javier Arenas - it's also true that most of those players are who they are. Certainly Tom Herman and Major Applewhite are on the lookout for those players but the majority of those kids are, at best, hoping to play for a weak D1 school and more likely something lower. Not to mention that in a poor state like Louisiana, those kids can't just travel to camps all over the place. So under the guise of protecting his state, Orgeron has limited those kids' opportunity for exposure.
I hope this bites him, and bites him hard.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I believe it is starting to bite him and I think it will be curious to see what comes of the recruits they begin to sign over the next 2 to 3 years. They have a high school camp later this week and I heard from several parents this past weekend at a camp that their kids were not attending the LSU camp. Some were by the kid's choice and some were of the parents decision. Even heard one parent say that there was no way his kid was playing for LSU and the family was from Louisiana. That caught my attention as these are kids in their upcoming Junior and Senior years of high school who are attending camps all over the SEC and are being recruited by SEC schools in some cases. Not sure what is going on there but it is turning some SEC recruits and their families off.

And the point about helping the kids with offers to other schools that are smaller, is very true and it helps the host school find a gem that they may not have known about. Seen that happen with my own eyes and have seen kids get their first contact with an FCS or smaller D1 school and get scholarships they otherwise would not have gotten.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.