Link: The coming solar eclipse!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm a little surprised at how few people I know prepared for this. Weeks ago I checked the NASA web site. They listed which glasses to buy. I ordered 20 of the ones they recommended for a whopping $31. They were delivered over a month ago. Made in the US and not recalled. Last I checked on Amazon a 10-pack of these was running $150.

Other than the 2 Mrs BamaSC and I are using, I've given the rest away to family and friends because apparently nobody I know prepared for this.

Luckily, we have 2:36 of totally here in the Lake Murray area of SC. Unfortunately, they're predicting over 300k people on Lake Murray. I'll just enjoy it from the shore.
having worked many years in retail in the past, it doesn't surprise me. every year, people were caught off guard by christmas.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From the NASA page, you're unlikely to get harmed with #12 welding goggles. OTOH, they say that many people find it too bright with less than #13...
One thing that is never explained is the effect of time. For example would a shade factor of 8 be ok for quick looks while s shade factor of 12 be bad if you stare at it from start to finish which is over 2 hours.:conf2:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I wasn't able to get glasses, but some friendly folks near the coffee shop shared theirs with me. It was only a 70-80% partial eclipse here, but grand celestial events are always inspiring to witness. I was lucky enough to view the transit of Venus several years ago from an observatory, and seeing the Milky Way from atop Mauna Kea is a view I'll never forget.

For those who missed it, you can replay NASA's coverage on youtube.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Past max here a little while ago. Cloudy and a few raindrops. Eclipse probably caused drop in temperature causing humidity to go up and make it worse for viewing. There are a few holes in the sky in the area but pretty big clouds.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Past max here a little while ago. Cloudy and a few raindrops. Eclipse probably caused drop in temperature causing humidity to go up and make it worse for viewing. There are a few holes in the sky in the area but pretty big clouds.
Hate to hear that. I've got a lot of friends near you. Interesting - my glasses were manufactured in Bartlett, or at least, the solar film was...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.