Link: The coming solar eclipse!

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
It got pretty dark here. Pretty much full-on gloaming. I saw stars and the nighttime insects were making noise. This was my first totality and the difference even from just 2-3% is huge. Being able to look around and take it all in is also a lot different than watching on TV or seeing photos. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to live where it crossed and had good viewing weather. Just 8 miles up the road it was blocked by a big cloud. I may actually travel to see the one in 2024.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I saw where a store in Cullman bought 13,000 of the glasses and sold every one of em. Christmas came early for that retailer!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We got up early and drove to Boaz, KY (just south of Paducah) where we could see the eclipse in totality on a private farm. It was absolutely incredible - almost 2 minutes of totality and it was truly breathtaking. Absolutely worth the drive, so glad I got the chance to see this!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK, hope everyone is sitting down, and are not eating or drinking anything.................(you are being warned)...............

Walked down the street, several houses, to where a young couple, with several kids, live. It has turned into Neighborhood Central, as most folks have kids that are grown up. They have livened things up quite bit.

Anyway, Mr. Engineer shows up with 2 pieces of cardboard, one of which has a small hole in it. So, I experiment with it, trying to get a good image, so the kids can look at it. (They also had the right glasses, so it was mainly showing them another way to do things.)

Anyway...................a lady, who is unknown to me (like 98% of the rest of the street), said she tried a pinhole viewer, but couldn't get it to work. Then she starts looking at mine, with a look of befuddlement.

"I tried making a pinhole viewer, but just couldn't get it to work. I put a hole, in the cardboard box, just like you are supposed to, and then put it on my head. I couldn't see anything."

Mensa material there, folks................

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Save your glasses and get ready for 2024!

Someone earlier pointed out that Austin is supposed to be the best place, in Texas, to see it.

"Maybe we should all plan to go there."
"Too bad it won't wipe it off the face of the earth........................" quipped some grumpy old coot.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Due to two sick kiddos (and a commitment at 6pm tonight) we had to stick around Athens and enjoy the 99.1% show. At 0.9% I was surprised still how bright the sun was. We got some weird shadows and lighting here. Crickets chirped, birds roosted, dogs started barking, dusk to dawn lights around my house came on. (All this at 2:38pm). Also those weird beams of light coming through the trees onto our driveway. It was all very surreal, but very cool over here. Wish I could have made it, but hope to make the 2024 one (my son was completely disinterested in it, and was playing in the dirt the whole time:rolleyes:).
Should have gotten my eclipse glasses from a reputable dealer...

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My wife ran across an organization accepting donations of glasses to redistribute to SE Asia and South American, where they have eclipses over the next few years. My glasses have a warning on them not to use them after 3 years. IDK why...

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
My wife ran across an organization accepting donations of glasses to redistribute to SE Asia and South American, where they have eclipses over the next few years. My glasses have a warning on them not to use them after 3 years. IDK why...
I saw that as well and wondered why. Do they lose the ability to block the harmful rays? Do they develope cracks? I Googled it, but found nothing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.