Link: The coming solar eclipse!

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
My wife ran across an organization accepting donations of glasses to redistribute to SE Asia and South American, where they have eclipses over the next few years. My glasses have a warning on them not to use them after 3 years. IDK why...
They do that so you will buy more for the next eclipse. :)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
They don't have a date and they came in a sealed plastic sleeve. I've emailed the company with an inquiry...
The sealed plastic sleeve suggests to me they really do have an expiration date, and it's not just a ploy to sell more. The sleeves bumps the cost for the manufacturer, I don't think they would raise the price to advance a scam.

It's a legitimate warning would be my guess.

But the next question, were they good for three years after purchase, or after the seal was broken.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
The sealed plastic sleeve suggests to me they really do have an expiration date, and it's not just a ploy to sell more. The sleeves bumps the cost for the manufacturer, I don't think they would raise the price to advance a scam.

It's a legitimate warning would be my guess.

But the next question, were they good for three years after purchase, or after the seal was broken.
It's possible the lens material starts to break down after being exposed to air.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I wish I had thought to ask when I picked up my glasses last weekend. My lenses (film) on mine looked a little wavy after leaving a pair in the hot car so maybe they do break down. I was planning on using mine again when the next solar eclipse comes near our area.

I did ask about fireworks glasses. American Paper Optics makes these as well including ones that convert each exploding light into an image. I had looked through this type in the past in which each starburst turned into a shower of Mickey heads.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wish I had thought to ask when I picked up my glasses last weekend. My lenses (film) on mine looked a little wavy after leaving a pair in the hot car so maybe they do break down. I was planning on using mine again when the next solar eclipse comes near our area.

I did ask about fireworks glasses. American Paper Optics makes these as well including ones that convert each exploding light into an image. I had looked through this type in the past in which each starburst turned into a shower of Mickey heads.
Mylar tolerates up to 440F and I doubt your car got that hot...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If I'm going to save my pair for the next eclipse, and I wonder if it would extend the shelf-life if I keep it in a sealed bag.

Edit: I should have read the link first. :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.