Most Overrated Games Of All-Time - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

Speaking of ND Manti Te'o's "game" was way way overrated.
    Last edited by LA4Bama; June 15th, 2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: tried to spell his name better

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

2011 Bama vs LSU in Tuscaloosa. It was more of what we didn't do than what they did do. The 1st AJ vs Mettenberger game was way better

SB 42. I think the end result is more memorable than the game itself. I still don't see why everyone unconsciously ranks it ahead of the rematch 4 years later.

2015 Ole Miss vs Bama. I really think it's obvious why.

SB 47. Does anyone really remember this game aside from the lights literally going out? I don't get why folks put it on their top 10.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 15th, 2017 at 02:36 PM.

I LOVED watching it the first time...and the second..and the third...

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Does anyone say otherwise, though? I'm not sure anyone says that was a good game to watch.
    Referencing the Bama-v-ND NC Game...

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    2011 Bama vs LSU in Tuscaloosa. It was more of what we didn't do than what they did do. The 1st AJ vs Mettenberger game was way better

SB 42. I think the end result is more memorable than the game itself. I still don't see why everyone unconsciously ranks it ahead of the rematch 4 years later.

2015 Ole Miss vs Bama. I really think it's obvious why.

SB 47. Does anyone really remember this game aside from the lights literally going out? I don't get why folks put it on their top 10.
    I agree with all of these. We made my son come watch the fourth quarter because of the history potential.....that part was pretty good but the game as a whole was absolutely boring.

SB 47 was bad for me for a lot of reasons. I never thought the 49ers had a real shot - yeah, they got a prayer at the end, but I never felt it. Two days later I returned home from my parents and my wife of 21 years informed me she was leaving, so I obviously have an association there.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    1975 World Series Game 6-Because the team that won lost the next game.

Super Bowl III-Contrary to popular belief, the game had nothing to do with the NFL-AFL merger. That had been agreed on 2 1/2 years earlier. The score was 16-7. Namath didn't even throw a pass in the fourth quarter. The Jets defense, which intercepted four passes and recovered a fumble, played a big role in the win. And Namath was a mediocre pro quarterback overall. Yes, he had injuries, but he threw more interceptions than touchdowns and had a .500 record as a starter.
    I didn't see the Fisk game at the time, we were living in England (I'm guessing that with the time difference I was about to wake up as Fisk hit it at 0033).

I have SB 3 and I realize the historic import - but the game itself save for the fourth quarter was rather stuffy and bland. The Colts continually missed opportunities as well. Lou Michaels missed two field goals and, of course, Earl Morrall missed Jimmy Orr being wide open. Those three plays right there would have won the game for the Colts.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I didn't see the Fisk game at the time, we were living in England (I'm guessing that with the time difference I was about to wake up as Fisk hit it at 0033).

I have SB 3 and I realize the historic import - but the game itself save for the fourth quarter was rather stuffy and bland. The Colts continually missed opportunities as well. Lou Michaels missed two field goals and, of course, Earl Morrall missed Jimmy Orr being wide open. Those three plays right there would have won the game for the Colts.
    Since you would probably know ...What was the better game SB X or SB XIII?

I've also have heard the 73 Dolphins were actually a more impressive team than the 72 team despite not being undefeated. I've seen cases against the 72 team suggesting the only real teams they played were the Steelers and the Redskins the last two games of the season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I would add

- Super Bowl XLIX - Because it was the Patriots vs Seahawks (the media darlings) and the last real play was a pick on the goal line its talked about as a great super bowl. But that game was mostly boring the entire game.

- Super Bowl XLII - I don't even understand why people love this game so much. I get the David Tyree catch was crazy but for 3 quarters that game was terrible.
    49 was more of a defensive slugfest. But everyone wants to talk the Malcom Butler play, but they don't want to talk about the Kearse play 2 plays before. For whatever reason the past 4 Patriots Super Bowls have some sorta once in a lifetime catches at key points in the game, the only difference in the last two is the Pats canceled them out with a catch of their own.

42: tyree
    46: Mario manningham
    49: Kearse and Butler
    51: Julio and Edelman

Point is the Hawks should've never been on the goal line to begin with. Then you could argue the crazy two minute offense at the end of the first half. Had the Hawks not made it there then we could be talking about a 28-10 Patriots win. But both defenses played well, it's just the Patriots weren't going to get boatraced like Manning and the Broncos the year prior.

All in all it's probably #3 or #4 for me.

Fwiw I would say the 3 worst Super Bowls I watched were 37, 47, and 50.

37: was just hard seeing Jerry Rice get beat like that

47: I honestly can't remember much of the game it was so boring

50: I've always felt the Burfect should've been the MVP, because without his hit on Antonio Brown it would've been the Patriots/Steelers vs the Panthers. This game was so bad that it was nearly the first time a super bowl winner didn't score an offensive touchdown. The only satisfying aspect of the game was watching cam acting like a scardy cat and kid.

The only reason 48 isn't on that list is because it was more entertaining to watch the crow being tossed around. I've never seen so much bull crap from the media. Peyton Manning is one of the worst playoff qbs of all time (holding the record for most losses), and the Broncos lost their best defensive player that year. But everyone was convinced that that offense didn't need a defense because they beat an injury riddled patriots team. I won my work's pool by saying 28-10 win for the Seahawks, granted I was off by a good margin but I was the only one out of 300 people that picked the Seahawks to win by double digits. So I like it for multiple reasons. Horrible game, but hilarious Monday morning crow the next day.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 16th, 2017 at 04:58 AM.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

SuperBowl 13 was better than SuperBowl 10 (have only seen this one in replay). Growing up in Mobile, you only really got to watch the Cowboys or the Saints. The Saints (or the Aints) then were absolutely terrible. I became a Cowboys fan. Jackie Smith dropping the pass was awful to see though. One of the few times I think I've ever seen Roger Staubach get upset. He was a cool customer. I was a Cowboys fan until Jerry Jones took over and fired Coach Landry. Have hated them ever since.

The 75 World Series was the first one I ever watched. Game 6 was the best baseball I have ever seen (though I was 6 when I saw it -- became a Red Sox fan until 86 -- then no more baseball until 91 for me when the Braves started playing good baseball). Again, being from Mobile as a kid, there was no natural team to root for. The Braves stunk until 91. I pulled for the Red Sox again until they won in 2004. After that, the mystique I think died out for me.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

Since you would probably know ...What was the better game SB X or SB XIII?

I've also have heard the 73 Dolphins were actually a more impressive team than the 72 team despite not being undefeated. I've seen cases against the 72 team suggesting the only real teams they played were the Steelers and the Redskins the last two games of the season.
    I did not see X at the time, either (we were living in England, I was not yet aware of football, and the Super Bowl back then was shown the NEXT Sunday).

However, I have an eclectic collection of games that I compiled on VHS back in the late 90s that I've converted to DVD. One of the first games I got was Super Bowl III, and I eventually got ALL of them.

X was far more exciting on 'later watch' than III. In fact, X along with the 1977 Alabama games against Nebraska and USC were games that I could get into even though I knew the outcome already. The first Super Bowl I saw live was XIII, so I'll give you an overview at the time:

XIII - this was a "big play" game, but I thought it lulled in the period of time when Pittsburgh got a huge lead following Jackie Smith's infamous fluff..

XIV - awesome game, don't let the final score fool anyone. The Rams were driving for the lead while trailing 24-19 with about five minutes left when Lambert intercepted Ferragamo. Bradshaw went for broke and broke caught it (Stallworth), but the game wasn't over until Franco scored.

XV - first half was okay, second half so so

XVI - final score is misleading as 49ers kept short shooting the end zone but built a 20-0 lead and held on. The goal line stand was the critical series.

XVII - incredible game and not over until the final two minutes.

XVIII - Marcus Allen's dash was the death blow, this game was massively hyped but save for the first drive of the second half the Skins were never in it.

XIX - over-hyped Marino.....and over by halftime. Yuge disappointment.

XX - awful. Bears were funny to watch but.....awful. (Most entertaining thing being the Duraliner commercial).

XXI - awesome first half, not so good second.

XXII - a truly awesome game until the Skins were suddenly up 35-10. Then it was awful.

XXIII - here's another entry for the 'overrated' list. Once again, the fourth quarter was really good but there were as many broken legs (Krumrie, Wallace) in the first half as scores.

XXIV - we knew this one was over the moment we knew the match-up.

XXV - possibly the greatest Super Bowl, particularly with the surrounding atmosphere.

XXVI - bore war, interesting second quarter was about all.

XXVII - I hate the Cowboys and they win in a rout so.....

XXVIII - entertaining right up until Dallas tied it

XXIX - deployed to Gitmo, didn't see it - saw it later and fell asleep.

XXX - hate both teams but a great game.

That's enough for now on those.

On the Dolphins....the 1972 Dolphins might be one of the most overrated teams of all-time. Of their 14 regular season games, TEN were against teams with records of 5-9 or worse. Their opponents had an overall record of 51-86-3 (overtime was not used in the regular season NFL until 1974). Home field advantage was NOT determined by record back then so the Dolphins actually played the AFC Championship on the road in Pittsburgh the week after the Immaculate Reception game. The Dolphins flipped the game while trailing Pittsburgh with a fake punt by Larry Seiple.

So unconvinced were people AT THE TIME of Miami's record that they were UNDERDOGS to the Washington Redskins in the Super Bowl (Shula's 0-2 SB record at the time didn't help). To be honest, they were somewhat similar to the 1980 Georgia team that won the national title against a horrific schedule (45-75-1) and getting so lucky against Notre Dame that you couldn't write a believable script about it (one of the Dawgs's two TDs came about because the kickoff team miscommunicated and Georgia got the ball at the one-yard line. It still took them two plays to fall three feet despite having Herschel Walker).

Even in Super Bowl VII, the Dolphins had Auburn-style luck. Back then the goal post was on the goal line (they moved it back the next year) and Billy Kilmer had a wide open Jerry Smith for a touchdown and the ball hit the goal post. On the next play, Jake Scott intercepted the pass and took it all the way back to the Redskins 48-yard line. That missed TD was the difference in the final score - although one could argue that perhaps Shula doesn't try the Yepremian field goal from 42 yards on fourth and four if he only leads by one score (he probably punts with his great defense).

I'm not trying to discredit what was a phenomenal accomplishment of which Miami should be proud - but let's not confuse "won every game" with "great team" or especially "greatest of all-time." Only four teams that won the SB since 1972 have faced EASIER schedules.

I'm not sure whether the 1973 Dolphins were better, but we could make some points in their favor:
    1) they blew out a Minnesota team in the Super Bowl by 17 points
    2) they blew out both opponents in the playoffs
    3) during the regular season they faced two ten-win teams (Dallas, Pittsburgh,) and three nine-win teams (Oakland and Buffalo twice), which is five more than they faced in 1972

Oh and then remember this - the 1972 Dolphins played such a soft schedule that they won NINE of the 14 regular season games with a backup quarterback. I realize that Earl Morrall was a competent quarterback, but he wasn't exactly Steve Young taking over for Joe Montana. There's usually a reason that a backup is a backup.

49 was more of a defensive slugfest. But everyone wants to talk the Malcom Butler play, but they don't want to talk about the Kearse play 2 plays before. For whatever reason the past 4 Patriots Super Bowls have some sorta once in a lifetime catches at key points in the game, the only difference in the last two is the Pats canceled them out with a catch of their own.

Point is the Hawks should've never been on the goal line to begin with. Then you could argue the crazy two minute offense at the end of the first half. Had the Hawks not made it there then we could be talking about a 28-10 Patriots win. But both defenses played well, it's just the Patriots weren't going to get boatraced like Manning and the Broncos the year prior.

Fwiw I would say the 3 worst Super Bowls I watched were 37, 47, and 50.

37: was just hard seeing Jerry Rice get beat like that

47: I honestly can't remember much of the game it was so boring

50: I've always felt the Burfect should've been the MVP, because without his hit on Antonio Brown it would've been the Patriots/Steelers vs the Panthers. This game was so bad that it was nearly the first time a super bowl winner didn't score an offensive touchdown. The only satisfying aspect of the game was watching cam acting like a scardy cat and kid.

The only reason 48 isn't on that list is because it was more entertaining to watch the crow being tossed around. I've never seen so much bull crap from the media. Peyton Manning is one of the worst playoff qbs of all time (holding the record for most losses), and the Broncos lost their best defensive player that year. But everyone was convinced that that offense didn't need a defense because they beat an injury riddled patriots team. I won my work's pool by saying 28-10 win for the Seahawks, granted I was off by a good margin but I was the only one out of 300 people that picked the Seahawks to win by double digits. So I like it for multiple reasons. Horrible game, but hilarious Monday morning crow the next day.
    I didn't see 37 when it was played. I was sitting in a restaurant when the waiter came out and told us that Tampa was up, 31-3.......at that point I ceased to be in a hurry to get back for the second half.

47 was relatively boring, but it was the last one I watched with my Dad (at this point). I tuned mentally in and out.

The worst I've seen (in no order): XX, XXVII, XXV (save for the three TD sequence in the third), XXVIII.

To be fair, the games have mostly gotten better in recent years. 31, 32, 36, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 46, 51.

Go back and look at the reviews of the first 9 Super Bowls, NONE of them were "great" or even "good" games. Namath and the 72 Dolphins were important games historically, but the games were boring.

BamaNation All-American

I was hoping for a College Football. Games of all time...

I lost interest in the Pro's several years back. Now I watch it to see if any Alabama players has a good game.

Pros... Joe Nameth promissing a Super Bowl win for the Jets, and delivering...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    I was hoping for a College Football. Games of all time...

I lost interest in the Pro's several years back. Now I watch it to see if any Alabama players has a good game.

Pros... Joe Nameth promissing a Super Bowl win for the Jets, and delivering...
    Well, this is more of a 'bad games' of all-time, and I listed a few in the OP.

1996 Auburn
    2011 LSU
    1999 LSU

And while I enjoyed the game, the Texas title game with us was - absolutely boring.

I get why people like the game but I don't see how its top 5. It was a fine game but, at least IMO, it's not top 5.

FWIW I think Super Bowl 51 is the greatest NFL game of all time.