Most Overrated Games Of All-Time - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

How would y'all rank USC/Norte Dame from 05? My recollection was an awesome game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    How would y'all rank USC/Norte Dame from 05? My recollection was an awesome game.

I would say in the last 30 years there are 3 firm top 3 games in college football, and 3 put in any order games, but ahead of all the others.

1. USC vs Texas
    2. Miami vs tosu
    3 2013 iron bowl
    4-6: 2015 CFPNCG, 2016 CFPNCG, 2012 SECCG
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 16th, 2017 at 10:21 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post

FWIW I think Super Bowl 51 is the greatest NFL game of all time.
    Greatest comeback Yes, greatest game....

The 2nd and 4th quarter were role reversal moments. I think the level of difficulty was about the same in 49 and 51 with the deficit (51) and the greatest defense since the 2000 Ravens. I think the 2014 Ravens-Patriots and the Packers-Seahawks games were probably the best NFL games in recent memory IMO

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Greatest comeback Yes, greatest game....

The 2nd and 4th quarter were role reversal moments. I think the level of difficulty was about the same in 49 and 51 with the deficit (51) and the greatest defense since the 2000 Ravens. I think the 2014 Ravens-Patriots and the Packers-Seahawks games were probably the best NFL games in recent memory IMO
    I understand those who disagree but I don't think there is a football game that had more than this game did.

1. The GOAT QB
    2. The GOAT Coach
    3. Largest comeback in super bowl history by 15 points (Pats came back from 25 down the next closest is 10 down)
    4. 2 of the best catches in super bowl history (Julio and Edelman)
    5. The first OT in Super Bowl history
    6. Patriots had to convert TWO 2 point tries on their last 2 drives of the 2nd half to even tie the game(the tying score was on a 10 play drive too)
    7. Brady broke Super Bowl records with 466 yards and 43 completions
    8. Brady also did all of this while throwing his first ever playoff pick six

Idk. At least IMO this game was the greatest ever.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post

I'd have to think about that for a bit, but I concur that it was a GREAT game (and one of those rare times I was pulling for the Irish). One of the few non-Bama recordings from the VHS years that I kept (college football wise).

I would say in the last 30 years there are 3 firm top 3 games in college football, and 3 put in any order games, but ahead of all the others.

1. USC vs Texas
    2. Miami vs tosu
    3 2013 iron bowl
    4-6: 2015 CFPNCG, 2016 CFPNCG, 2012 SECCG
    The last 30 years takes us back to 1987 so I'd rank these somewhere high:

1987 Fiesta Bowl
    1988 Miami-Notre Dame
    1991 Miami-Florida St
    1992 SECCG
    1994 Colorado-Michigan
    1995 Orange Bowl
    (damn, this is nothing but a list of Miami games....)
    1998 Tennessee-Arkansas
    1999 Florida-Alabama
    2003 Fiesta Bowl
    2005 USC-Notre Dame
    2006 BCSNCG
    2008 Texas/Texas Tech
    2012 SECCG
    2013 Iron Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I understand those who disagree but I don't think there is a football game that had more than this game did.

1. The GOAT QB
    2. The GOAT Coach
    3. Largest comeback in super bowl history by 15 points (Pats came back from 25 down the next closest is 10 down)
    4. 2 of the best catches in super bowl history (Julio and Edelman)
    Well, Super Bowl XIV (Rams-Steelers) had a truly great QB (by the standards of the time) and the coach being the first to win four (Noll) and had two awesome catches by Stallworth, another one by Swann, and back-to-back incredible Rams passes from Ferragamo to Waddy and then a halfback option of McCutcheon to Smith.

It didn't have the comeback, but it had close to what's listed here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    5. The first OT in Super Bowl history
    6. Patriots had to convert TWO 2 point tries on their last 2 drives of the 2nd half to even tie the game(the tying score was on a 10 play drive too)
    OK, this is true, but context is necessary since two-point conversions weren't NFL rules until around 1994 or so. In the older days such a game would have been "over" because it would have taken three scores.
    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    7. Brady broke Super Bowl records with 466 yards and 43 completions
    8. Brady also did all of this while throwing his first ever playoff pick six

Idk. At least IMO this game was the greatest ever.
    Well, number eight is only relevant specifically to Brady, although the play was obviously important.

I think it was a very good game, and you make as strong a case as can be made. What I think would have made it BETTER would have been if Atlanta would have actually gotten the ball in overtime. As someone who has seen every Super Bowl since XIII as it aired (save for 29 and 37 - and I was ill in the bed for most of 46, but I saw the fourth quarter)...I'd rank it highly. But off the top of my head, I thought the total sum of the game was better in 25, 32, 36, 43, 44, and 45 (and probably 46).

I think 44 ranks highly because the Saints were an also-ran franchise for so long. In other words, everything you say is true but is ANYONE surprised the Patriots won the game? The Saints delivered the death blow to a pretty good QB with their own pick six.

As I said, you make some good points, but I concur with 81 here. Admittedly, I'm biased as a Falcons fan, but I'd love to call it the greatest ever even in the loss. (It was certainly better than the snooze-fest known as 33). I just don't see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    Yeah, I don't see how that's "overrated." It was a complete bloodbath from the 1Q, terrible game and everyone acknowledges that.
    Equals great game for us. RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

If you take off your Crimson specs, the first 2011 Alabama vs LSU game of the century was overrated, IMO. The average college football fan would view a 9-6 game as a dud.
    Last edited by GrayTide; June 16th, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but never preserved except in memory LLAP" Leonard Nimoy

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    If you take off your Crimson specs, the first 2011 Alabama vs LSU game of the century was overrated, IMO. The average college football fan would view a 9-6 game as a dud.
    But what a hockey game that would be!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Well, Super Bowl XIV (Rams-Steelers) had a truly great QB (by the standards of the time) and the coach being the first to win four (Noll) and had two awesome catches by Stallworth, another one by Swann, and back-to-back incredible Rams passes from Ferragamo to Waddy and then a halfback option of McCutcheon to Smith.

It didn't have the comeback, but it had close to what's listed here so far.

OK, this is true, but context is necessary since two-point conversions weren't NFL rules until around 1994 or so. In the older days such a game would have been "over" because it would have taken three scores.

Well, number eight is only relevant specifically to Brady, although the play was obviously important.

I think it was a very good game, and you make as strong a case as can be made. What I think would have made it BETTER would have been if Atlanta would have actually gotten the ball in overtime. As someone who has seen every Super Bowl since XIII as it aired (save for 29 and 37 - and I was ill in the bed for most of 46, but I saw the fourth quarter)...I'd rank it highly. But off the top of my head, I thought the total sum of the game was better in 25, 32, 36, 43, 44, and 45 (and probably 46).

I think 44 ranks highly because the Saints were an also-ran franchise for so long. In other words, everything you say is true but is ANYONE surprised the Patriots won the game? The Saints delivered the death blow to a pretty good QB with their own pick six.

As I said, you make some good points, but I concur with 81 here. Admittedly, I'm biased as a Falcons fan, but I'd love to call it the greatest ever even in the loss. (It was certainly better than the snooze-fest known as 33). I just don't see it that way.
    How I look at 51

Q1: an Anderson Silva/ Money Mayweather feel out stage in a fight. Very predictable and very conservative playcalling

Q2: Falcons are running away

Halftime: Best halftime since SB 39

Q3: the best quarter and probably more of the SB we should have seen

Q4: the Patriots avalanche destroys the winded Falcons, and Shanahan all of the sudden can't figure out Patrica's defense

OT: over after the coin toss

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Yeah I tried to convince myself that this was some great defensive matchup for the ages, but after the rematch and watching it over a few times it is clear that Alabama played very tight while LSU played loose. I tend to think the best game from that year without crimson specs is either ISU vs Okie Light or Okie Lite vs Stanford.

Yeah I tried to convince myself that this was some great defensive matchup for the ages, but after the rematch and watching it over a few times it is clear that Alabama played very tight while LSU played loose. I tend to think the best game from that year without crimson specs is either ISU vs Okie Light or Okie Lite vs Stanford.
    I think what made that whole thing worse is that because of:
    a) the prime time telecast
    b) both teams having an off week the week before
    c) 1 vs 2

I don't think this game could ever have lived up to the advanced billing.