Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
During the other thread, I thought about simple criteria to come up with the best games and never got around to posting it. No point in bumping it either, I suppose. But, I think the same rules apply when determining if a game was great or overrated.

A: Was the game meaningful?
This is something that can change in retrospect. Did the Boise St./Oklahoma game seem meaningful beforehand? On the other hand some games that seemed like an epic clash ended up looking a lot less like that later on. Either way, the game needs to have actually meant something.

B: Was it entertaining?
I put this second for a reason, because if the game doesn't mean anything then it doesn't matter how entertaining it was really. No one here is talking about high school or FCS games, right? But, I'd concede that barring something truly extraordinary, the game needs to be close to be entertaining. I don't buy the idea that merely being high scoring makes it more entertaining though, and I've seen low scoring games with huge ratings.

C: Was it memorable?
This is the true test of how great a game was or wasn't. We remember the great games, we name some of them afterward. For instance going back to whether or not high scoring games are more entertaining, there's no question it doesn't seem to impact how memorable they are. Who forgot the regular season meeting between Alabama and LSU in 2011? Applying this to whether or not a game is overrated, the truth is we've forgotten many of the most overrated games (except Selma)

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I didn't see that game; I was actually kinda ill that evening and went to bed early.

My guess would have been Bhomar. When I looked it up out of curiosity, I got 81s point perfectly.

You think of White. You think of Heupel. You think of Bhomar, Bradford, etc.

You never think of Thompson as QB at OU.
Yeah it kinda gets me that everyone remembers that game but not the OU qb. Yes AP played in the game, and OU was an above average team, but let's not pretend Boise won against a juggernaut, or got OU's best effort.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah it kinda gets me that everyone remembers that game but not the OU qb. Yes AP played in the game, and OU was an above average team, but let's not pretend Boise won against a juggernaut, or got OU's best effort.
No, but they spent nearly a decade living off of that one.

It always amused me how Boise BARELY beating an above average (at best) OU team was proof of how good they were but WVA blowing out a better OU team the next year didn't give them the same rep.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
There have been 10 SB MVPs that were on defense, but the Cowboys have the two oddest MVP categories. They have the only MVP on a losing team (V) and the only multiple MVPs in a single SB (XII)
Point taken. However I stand by my statement--Chuck Howley stands as the only Super Bowl MVP that was a defensive player AND played for the losing team. 😎

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.