Most Overrated Games Of All-Time - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Re: Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

Super Bowl V between the Colts and Cowboys. Despite the way the game ended, this game was full of mistakes and blunders by both teams, with neither offense really ever accomplishing anything significant. Still the only super bowl where a defensive player was named MVP and from the losing team(Chuck Howley).
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

2. Advertisement
    FB | BB Moderator

I can't argue with this list - at least the ones I have seen - but would love to see a companion "most underrated games" list too.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Super Bowl V between the Colts and Cowboys. Despite the way the game ended, this game was full of mistakes and blunders by both teams, with neither offense really ever accomplishing anything significant. Still the only super bowl where a defensive player was named MVP and from the losing team(Chuck Howley).
    There have been 10 SB MVPs that were on defense, but the Cowboys have the two oddest MVP categories. They have the only MVP on a losing team (V) and the only multiple MVPs in a single SB (XII)

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Before I quit watching the NFL; I always thought that the super bowl pitted 2 teams, 1 playing to win and 1 trying not to lose. This led to some pretty boring and blow out games. Maybe things have changed since my last super bowl Chicago vs New England.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I was a tiny tot at the time, but my old man said this same thing years ago when we watched the John Facenda narrated highlight film.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I would say in the last 30 years there are 3 firm top 3 games in college football, and 3 put in any order games, but ahead of all the others.

1. USC vs Texas
    2. Miami vs tosu
    3 2013 iron bowl
    4-6: 2015 CFPNCG, 2016 CFPNCG, 2012 SECCG
    I disagree strongly on USC vs Texas. Vince Young probably had the best individual performance by a player in a national title game ever, accounting for all but 91 of Texas' 558 yards (I'm not Selma; I had to look it up). As a game, however, objectively I don't see how it's any better than the two we've just played...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    But what a hockey game that would be!!!!
    Sounds like a Big 12 hockey score ; no defense...

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah 63:1 View Post
    I disagree strongly on USC vs Texas. Vince Young probably had the best individual performance by a player in a national title game ever, accounting for all but 91 of Texas' 558 yards (I'm not Selma; I had to look it up). As a game, however, objectively I don't see how it's any better than the two we've just played...

There was a lot more at stake. At the time you had a potential USC three peat * at the rose bowl with the two previous heisman trophy winners *. On importance to college football it is far more important than our two games vs Clemson.

BamaNation All-SEC

There was a lot more at stake. At the time you had a potential USC three peat * at the rose bowl with the two previous heisman trophy winners *. On importance to college football it is far more important than our two games vs Clemson.
    Sounds like the perfect setup for an overrated game to me. We'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose...

I would say in the last 30 years there are 3 firm top 3 games in college football, and 3 put in any order games, but ahead of all the others.

1. USC vs Texas
    2. Miami vs tosu
    3 2013 iron bowl
    4-6: 2015 CFPNCG, 2016 CFPNCG, 2012 SECCG
    Boise State vs. Oklahoma from the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is easily better than any of those. Stakes weren't quite as high but that game is the most dramatic football game I've ever seen. People only remember the Hook and Ladder and Statue of Liberty but the momentum swings that came before that were absolutely wild.

Yeah I tried to convince myself that this was some great defensive matchup for the ages, but after the rematch and watching it over a few times it is clear that Alabama played very tight while LSU played loose. I tend to think the best game from that year without crimson specs is either ISU vs Okie Light or Okie Lite vs Stanford.
    I think the game was a defensive struggle but lets face it, those games aren't all that fun. IMO it was great football but great football isn't always entertaining. I always use the analogy of Greece winning the Euro Cup in 2004. They played the most boring style of soccer that I have ever seen and yet, they won and that's all that really matters. That's how I see the 2011 game. Great football but boring game unless you were really invested in one of the teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Before I quit watching the NFL; I always thought that the super bowl pitted 2 teams, 1 playing to win and 1 trying not to lose. This led to some pretty boring and blow out games. Maybe things have changed since my last super bowl Chicago vs New England.
    I'm relatively young compared to some on here so I probably haven't seen the super bowls that many of you have. But, to me, each Super Bowl is completely different and real hit or miss. I would have thought going in that Super Bowl 43 was going to be a blow out but it turned into an incredible game. Meanwhile, I thought
    Super Bowl 48 was going to be a fantastic game but it turned into probably the worst super bowl I've ever seen.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    Boise State vs. Oklahoma from the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is easily better than any of those. Stakes weren't quite as high but that game is the most dramatic football game I've ever seen. People only remember the Hook and Ladder and Statue of Liberty but the momentum swings that came before that were absolutely wild.
    100 points if someone without looking can name Oklahoma's quarterback in that game without looking before Selma.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    They broadcast the games in color now, too. It's wild.