Most Overrated Games Of All-Time - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    100 points if someone without looking can name Oklahoma's quarterback in that game without looking before Selma.
    2006 season would have been Sam Bradford, no?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    2006 season would have been Sam Bradford, no?
    Sam was not the starter that game.

Sam was not the starter that game.
    Just looked it up. Would have never guessed it.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Football and Basketball Moderator

Thompson...or something...former WR I believe?
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

100 points if someone without looking can name Oklahoma's quarterback in that game without looking before Selma.
    I know the answer but feel like it'd be cheating since my fiance went to OU and her whole family are a huge Sooner fans.

Football and Basketball Moderator

Following the dismissal of quarterback Rhett Bomar, fifth-year senior Paul Thompson reconverted back to his former role of quarterback after spending 2005 as a wide receiver.[20]

BLESS IT I WAS RIGHT!
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Thompson...or something...former WR I believe?
    Ding Ding Ding. You just won 100 points....

It's one of those weird facts in football history. People usually answer pretty much every OU qb, but forget about Thompson. I just thought it was a fun trivia question since someone brought up that game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

I didn't see that game; I was actually kinda ill that evening and went to bed early.

My guess would have been Bhomar. When I looked it up out of curiosity, I got 81s point perfectly.

You think of White. You think of Heupel. You think of Bhomar, Bradford, etc.

You never think of Thompson as QB at OU.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Can I list every Pac/Big 10/12 85-74 score range game from the last 15 years?

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    Can I list every Pac/Big 10/12 85-74 score range game from the last 15 years?
    Which sport?
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

During the other thread, I thought about simple criteria to come up with the best games and never got around to posting it. No point in bumping it either, I suppose. But, I think the same rules apply when determining if a game was great or overrated.

A: Was the game meaningful?
    This is something that can change in retrospect. Did the Boise St./Oklahoma game seem meaningful beforehand? On the other hand some games that seemed like an epic clash ended up looking a lot less like that later on. Either way, the game needs to have actually meant something.

B: Was it entertaining?
    I put this second for a reason, because if the game doesn't mean anything then it doesn't matter how entertaining it was really. No one here is talking about high school or FCS games, right? But, I'd concede that barring something truly extraordinary, the game needs to be close to be entertaining. I don't buy the idea that merely being high scoring makes it more entertaining though, and I've seen low scoring games with huge ratings.

C: Was it memorable?
    This is the true test of how great a game was or wasn't. We remember the great games, we name some of them afterward. For instance going back to whether or not high scoring games are more entertaining, there's no question it doesn't seem to impact how memorable they are. Who forgot the regular season meeting between Alabama and LSU in 2011? Applying this to whether or not a game is overrated, the truth is we've forgotten many of the most overrated games (except Selma)
    Last edited by KrAzY3; June 19th, 2017 at 03:23 PM.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I didn't see that game; I was actually kinda ill that evening and went to bed early.

My guess would have been Bhomar. When I looked it up out of curiosity, I got 81s point perfectly.

You think of White. You think of Heupel. You think of Bhomar, Bradford, etc.

You never think of Thompson as QB at OU.
    Yeah it kinda gets me that everyone remembers that game but not the OU qb. Yes AP played in the game, and OU was an above average team, but let's not pretend Boise won against a juggernaut, or got OU's best effort.

Yeah it kinda gets me that everyone remembers that game but not the OU qb. Yes AP played in the game, and OU was an above average team, but let's not pretend Boise won against a juggernaut, or got OU's best effort.
    No, but they spent nearly a decade living off of that one.

It always amused me how Boise BARELY beating an above average (at best) OU team was proof of how good they were but WVA blowing out a better OU team the next year didn't give them the same rep.