Most Overrated Games Of All-Time
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

The thread on "this imbecile thinks THESE are the ten greatest games" has as always inspired me to contrarian thinking, so what do you think are the games that DON'T live up to the hype of "that was a GREAT game?"

Any sport is okay.

Here are a few that come to my mind:

1985 Georgia - the final two minutes of the game was totally awesome.....the rest looked like two MAC-level .500 teams with excessive rust.

1996 Auburn - Stallings's last game...well, it was three games in one......Tide jumps to a huge lead, Auburn comes back and pretty much owns the game......and then we win on a drive.......not near as exciting as one would think

1999 LSU - sure it came down to the last play........in a game we led by two scores.......and we lost players for the year

2005 Tennessee - yeah, I know Roman Harper's hit was awesome and the win was great....but the game as a whole wasn't that good.

2009 Tennessee - pretty much the same thing, more of a frustrating day where we couldn't generate any offense

Super Bowl XXXIV - you see, the way folks remember the story is that Mike Jones SAVED THE SUPER BOWL!!! No, he didn't - he prevented OVERTIME.......and it wasn't a great GAME, it was a great FOURTH QUARTER

Super Bowl XXXVIII - you'd think the second Super Bowl in three years to come down to a last second kick by the same kicker and that featured an 85-yard bomb and a wardrobe malfunction would be an insanely memorable game.

You'd think it - but you'd be wrong. BOR-ing.

1993 World Series Game 4 - most runs in a World Series game ever and one team comes from five runs down in the final innings.......but nobody liked this game, including the team that won the game.

More as I think of them.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

2. Advertisement

Re: Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

I would add

- Super Bowl XLIX - Because it was the Patriots vs Seahawks (the media darlings) and the last real play was a pick on the goal line its talked about as a great super bowl. But that game was mostly boring the entire game.

- Super Bowl XLII - I don't even understand why people love this game so much. I get the David Tyree catch was crazy but for 3 quarters that game was terrible.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I would add

- Super Bowl XLIX - Because it was the Patriots vs Seahawks (the media darlings) and the last real play was a pick on the goal line its talked about as a great super bowl. But that game was mostly boring the entire game.

- Super Bowl XLII - I don't even understand why people love this game so much. I get the David Tyree catch was crazy but for 3 quarters that game was terrible.
    Agree on both counts.

Those games were - at best - exciting fourth quarters, not exciting GAMES.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I would say 95% of all Super Bowls end up rather boring games.

Disagree on most of those Super Bowls. Titans/Rams is the best I've seen, IMO. Patriots/Seahawks was great too.

The first Pats/Giants I agree though. It's incredibly memorable but most of that game was extremely boring.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    Disagree on most of those Super Bowls. Titans/Rams is the best I've seen, IMO. Patriots/Seahawks was great too.

The first Pats/Giants I agree though. It's incredibly memorable but most of that game was extremely boring.
    Titans/Rams was the best SB.

The first Pats/Giants game reminded me of our last with Clemson. We were undefeated and should have won but lost it in the last second. Our game was at least more exciting for the most part.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

1975 World Series Game 6-Because the team that won lost the next game.

Super Bowl III-Contrary to popular belief, the game had nothing to do with the NFL-AFL merger. That had been agreed on 2 1/2 years earlier. The score was 16-7. Namath didn't even throw a pass in the fourth quarter. The Jets defense, which intercepted four passes and recovered a fumble, played a big role in the win. And Namath was a mediocre pro quarterback overall. Yes, he had injuries, but he threw more interceptions than touchdowns and had a .500 record as a starter.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPaul's Avatar

The Notre Dame vs Alabama for the National Championship. I loved the game but from a nation viewer's standpoint it was a dud.
    " If you stick your head above the crowd, you're going to have people trying to knock it off." -Coach Paul Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonPaul View Post
    The Notre Dame vs Alabama for the National Championship. I loved the game but from a nation viewer's standpoint it was a dud.
    Does anyone say otherwise, though? I'm not sure anyone says that was a good game to watch.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonPaul View Post
    There was one in 1973 that was an incredible game, however, we were on the wrong end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Does anyone say otherwise, though? I'm not sure anyone says that was a good game to watch.
    Yeah, I don't see how that's "overrated." It was a complete bloodbath from the 1Q, terrible game and everyone acknowledges that.

BamaNation All-SEC

Hard category. Game at least had to be entertaining and somewhat close, yet overrated for some reason. I'll say 2016 Texas-ND. It was back and forth, had excitement, but it also was not played at a high level and it turned out both teams were stinkers.

BamaNation All-SEC

Notre Dame against us was terrible from a competitive standpoint. Notre Dame did have a couple of last second wins that year which got lots of coverage as great games but in retrospect we're probably overrated just as the team was.