Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The thread on "this imbecile thinks THESE are the ten greatest games" has as always inspired me to contrarian thinking, so what do you think are the games that DON'T live up to the hype of "that was a GREAT game?"

Any sport is okay.

Here are a few that come to my mind:

1985 Georgia - the final two minutes of the game was totally awesome.....the rest looked like two MAC-level .500 teams with excessive rust.

1996 Auburn - Stallings's last game...well, it was three games in one......Tide jumps to a huge lead, Auburn comes back and pretty much owns the game......and then we win on a drive.......not near as exciting as one would think

1999 LSU - sure it came down to the last play........in a game we led by two scores.......and we lost players for the year

2005 Tennessee - yeah, I know Roman Harper'***** was awesome and the win was great....but the game as a whole wasn't that good.

2009 Tennessee - pretty much the same thing, more of a frustrating day where we couldn't generate any offense

Super Bowl XXXIV - you see, the way folks remember the story is that Mike Jones SAVED THE SUPER BOWL!!! No, he didn't - he prevented OVERTIME.......and it wasn't a great GAME, it was a great FOURTH QUARTER

Super Bowl XXXVIII - you'd think the second Super Bowl in three years to come down to a last second kick by the same kicker and that featured an 85-yard bomb and a wardrobe malfunction would be an insanely memorable game.

You'd think it - but you'd be wrong. BOR-ing.

1993 World Series Game 4 - most runs in a World Series game ever and one team comes from five runs down in the final innings.......but nobody liked this game, including the team that won the game.

More as I think of them.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would add

- Super Bowl XLIX - Because it was the Patriots vs Seahawks (the media darlings) and the last real play was a pick on the goal line its talked about as a great super bowl. But that game was mostly boring the entire game.

- Super Bowl XLII - I don't even understand why people love this game so much. I get the David Tyree catch was crazy but for 3 quarters that game was terrible.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would add

- Super Bowl XLIX - Because it was the Patriots vs Seahawks (the media darlings) and the last real play was a pick on the goal line its talked about as a great super bowl. But that game was mostly boring the entire game.

- Super Bowl XLII - I don't even understand why people love this game so much. I get the David Tyree catch was crazy but for 3 quarters that game was terrible.
Agree on both counts.

Those games were - at best - exciting fourth quarters, not exciting GAMES.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Disagree on most of those Super Bowls. Titans/Rams is the best I've seen, IMO. Patriots/Seahawks was great too.

The first Pats/Giants I agree though. It's incredibly memorable but most of that game was extremely boring.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Disagree on most of those Super Bowls. Titans/Rams is the best I've seen, IMO. Patriots/Seahawks was great too.

The first Pats/Giants I agree though. It's incredibly memorable but most of that game was extremely boring.
Titans/Rams was the best SB.

The first Pats/Giants game reminded me of our last with Clemson. We were undefeated and should have won but lost it in the last second. Our game was at least more exciting for the most part.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
1975 World Series Game 6-Because the team that won lost the next game.

Super Bowl III-Contrary to popular belief, the game had nothing to do with the NFL-AFL merger. That had been agreed on 2 1/2 years earlier. The score was 16-7. Namath didn't even throw a pass in the fourth quarter. The Jets defense, which intercepted four passes and recovered a fumble, played a big role in the win. And Namath was a mediocre pro quarterback overall. Yes, he had injuries, but he threw more interceptions than touchdowns and had a .500 record as a starter.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hard category. Game at least had to be entertaining and somewhat close, yet overrated for some reason. I'll say 2016 Texas-ND. It was back and forth, had excitement, but it also was not played at a high level and it turned out both teams were stinkers.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Notre Dame against us was terrible from a competitive standpoint. Notre Dame did have a couple of last second wins that year which got lots of coverage as great games but in retrospect we're probably overrated just as the team was.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
2011 Bama vs LSU in Tuscaloosa. It was more of what we didn't do than what they did do. The 1st AJ vs Mettenberger game was way better

SB 42. I think the end result is more memorable than the game itself. I still don't see why everyone unconsciously ranks it ahead of the rematch 4 years later.

2015 Ole Miss vs Bama. I really think it's obvious why.

SB 47. Does anyone really remember this game aside from the lights literally going out? I don't get why folks put it on their top 10.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
2011 Bama vs LSU in Tuscaloosa. It was more of what we didn't do than what they did do. The 1st AJ vs Mettenberger game was way better

SB 42. I think the end result is more memorable than the game itself. I still don't see why everyone unconsciously ranks it ahead of the rematch 4 years later.

2015 Ole Miss vs Bama. I really think it's obvious why.

SB 47. Does anyone really remember this game aside from the lights literally going out? I don't get why folks put it on their top 10.
I agree with all of these. We made my son come watch the fourth quarter because of the history potential.....that part was pretty good but the game as a whole was absolutely boring.

SB 47 was bad for me for a lot of reasons. I never thought the 49ers had a real shot - yeah, they got a prayer at the end, but I never felt it. Two days later I returned home from my parents and my wife of 21 years informed me she was leaving, so I obviously have an association there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1975 World Series Game 6-Because the team that won lost the next game.

Super Bowl III-Contrary to popular belief, the game had nothing to do with the NFL-AFL merger. That had been agreed on 2 1/2 years earlier. The score was 16-7. Namath didn't even throw a pass in the fourth quarter. The Jets defense, which intercepted four passes and recovered a fumble, played a big role in the win. And Namath was a mediocre pro quarterback overall. Yes, he had injuries, but he threw more interceptions than touchdowns and had a .500 record as a starter.
I didn't see the Fisk game at the time, we were living in England (I'm guessing that with the time difference I was about to wake up as Fisk hit it at 0033).

I have SB 3 and I realize the historic import - but the game itself save for the fourth quarter was rather stuffy and bland. The Colts continually missed opportunities as well. Lou Michaels missed two field goals and, of course, Earl Morrall missed Jimmy Orr being wide open. Those three plays right there would have won the game for the Colts.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I didn't see the Fisk game at the time, we were living in England (I'm guessing that with the time difference I was about to wake up as Fisk hit it at 0033).

I have SB 3 and I realize the historic import - but the game itself save for the fourth quarter was rather stuffy and bland. The Colts continually missed opportunities as well. Lou Michaels missed two field goals and, of course, Earl Morrall missed Jimmy Orr being wide open. Those three plays right there would have won the game for the Colts.
Since you would probably know ...What was the better game SB X or SB XIII?

I've also have heard the 73 Dolphins were actually a more impressive team than the 72 team despite not being undefeated. I've seen cases against the 72 team suggesting the only real teams they played were the Steelers and the Redskins the last two games of the season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would add

49 was more of a defensive slugfest. But everyone wants to talk the Malcom Butler play, but they don't want to talk about the Kearse play 2 plays before. For whatever reason the past 4 Patriots Super Bowls have some sorta once in a lifetime catches at key points in the game, the only difference in the last two is the Pats canceled them out with a catch of their own.

42: tyree
46: Mario manningham
49: Kearse and Butler
51: Julio and Edelman

Point is the Hawks should've never been on the goal line to begin with. Then you could argue the crazy two minute offense at the end of the first half. Had the Hawks not made it there then we could be talking about a 28-10 Patriots win. But both defenses played well, it's just the Patriots weren't going to get boatraced like Manning and the Broncos the year prior.

All in all it's probably #3 or #4 for me.

Fwiw I would say the 3 worst Super Bowls I watched were 37, 47, and 50.

37: was just hard seeing Jerry Rice get beat like that

47: I honestly can't remember much of the game it was so boring

50: I've always felt the Burfect should've been the MVP, because without his hit on Antonio Brown it would've been the Patriots/Steelers vs the Panthers. This game was so bad that it was nearly the first time a super bowl winner didn't score an offensive touchdown. The only satisfying aspect of the game was watching cam acting like a scardy cat and kid.

The only reason 48 isn't on that list is because it was more entertaining to watch the crow being tossed around. I've never seen so much bull crap from the media. Peyton Manning is one of the worst playoff qbs of all time (holding the record for most losses), and the Broncos lost their best defensive player that year. But everyone was convinced that that offense didn't need a defense because they beat an injury riddled patriots team. I won my work's pool by saying 28-10 win for the Seahawks, granted I was off by a good margin but I was the only one out of 300 people that picked the Seahawks to win by double digits. So I like it for multiple reasons. Horrible game, but hilarious Monday morning crow the next day.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.