Most Overrated Games Of All-Time

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I can't argue with this list - at least the ones I have seen - but would love to see a companion "most underrated games" list too.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Super Bowl V between the Colts and Cowboys. Despite the way the game ended, this game was full of mistakes and blunders by both teams, with neither offense really ever accomplishing anything significant. Still the only super bowl where a defensive player was named MVP and from the losing team(Chuck Howley).
There have been 10 SB MVPs that were on defense, but the Cowboys have the two oddest MVP categories. They have the only MVP on a losing team (V) and the only multiple MVPs in a single SB (XII)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Before I quit watching the NFL; I always thought that the super bowl pitted 2 teams, 1 playing to win and 1 trying not to lose. This led to some pretty boring and blow out games. Maybe things have changed since my last super bowl Chicago vs New England.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Super Bowl V between the Colts and Cowboys. Despite the way the game ended, this game was full of mistakes and blunders by both teams, with neither offense really ever accomplishing anything significant. Still the only super bowl where a defensive player was named MVP and from the losing team(Chuck Howley).
I was a tiny tot at the time, but my old man said this same thing years ago when we watched the John Facenda narrated highlight film.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I would say in the last 30 years there are 3 firm top 3 games in college football, and 3 put in any order games, but ahead of all the others.

1. USC vs Texas
2. Miami vs tosu
3 2013 iron bowl
4-6: 2015 CFPNCG, 2016 CFPNCG, 2012 SECCG
I disagree strongly on USC vs Texas. Vince Young probably had the best individual performance by a player in a national title game ever, accounting for all but 91 of Texas' 558 yards (I'm not Selma; I had to look it up). As a game, however, objectively I don't see how it's any better than the two we've just played...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I disagree strongly on USC vs Texas. Vince Young probably had the best individual performance by a player in a national title game ever, accounting for all but 91 of Texas' 558 yards (I'm not Selma; I had to look it up). As a game, however, objectively I don't see how it's any better than the two we've just played...

There was a lot more at stake. At the time you had a potential USC three peat * at the rose bowl with the two previous heisman trophy winners *. On importance to college football it is far more important than our two games vs Clemson.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
There was a lot more at stake. At the time you had a potential USC three peat * at the rose bowl with the two previous heisman trophy winners *. On importance to college football it is far more important than our two games vs Clemson.
Sounds like the perfect setup for an overrated game to me. We'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose...

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I would say in the last 30 years there are 3 firm top 3 games in college football, and 3 put in any order games, but ahead of all the others.

1. USC vs Texas
2. Miami vs tosu
3 2013 iron bowl
4-6: 2015 CFPNCG, 2016 CFPNCG, 2012 SECCG
Boise State vs. Oklahoma from the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is easily better than any of those. Stakes weren't quite as high but that game is the most dramatic football game I've ever seen. People only remember the Hook and Ladder and Statue of Liberty but the momentum swings that came before that were absolutely wild.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yeah I tried to convince myself that this was some great defensive matchup for the ages, but after the rematch and watching it over a few times it is clear that Alabama played very tight while LSU played loose. I tend to think the best game from that year without crimson specs is either ISU vs Okie Light or Okie Lite vs Stanford.
I think the game was a defensive struggle but lets face it, those games aren't all that fun. IMO it was great football but great football isn't always entertaining. I always use the analogy of Greece winning the Euro Cup in 2004. They played the most boring style of soccer that I have ever seen and yet, they won and that's all that really matters. That's how I see the 2011 game. Great football but boring game unless you were really invested in one of the teams.
Before I quit watching the NFL; I always thought that the super bowl pitted 2 teams, 1 playing to win and 1 trying not to lose. This led to some pretty boring and blow out games. Maybe things have changed since my last super bowl Chicago vs New England.
I'm relatively young compared to some on here so I probably haven't seen the super bowls that many of you have. But, to me, each Super Bowl is completely different and real hit or miss. I would have thought going in that Super Bowl 43 was going to be a blow out but it turned into an incredible game. Meanwhile, I thought
Super Bowl 48 was going to be a fantastic game but it turned into probably the worst super bowl I've ever seen.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Boise State vs. Oklahoma from the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is easily better than any of those. Stakes weren't quite as high but that game is the most dramatic football game I've ever seen. People only remember the Hook and Ladder and Statue of Liberty but the momentum swings that came before that were absolutely wild.
100 points if someone without looking can name Oklahoma's quarterback in that game without looking before Selma.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
They broadcast the games in color now, too. It's wild.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
100 points if someone without looking can name Oklahoma's quarterback in that game without looking before Selma.
I know the answer but feel like it'd be cheating since my fiance went to OU and her whole family are a huge Sooner fans.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Following the dismissal of quarterback Rhett Bomar, fifth-year senior Paul Thompson reconverted back to his former role of quarterback after spending 2005 as a wide receiver.[20]

BLESS IT I WAS RIGHT!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Thompson...or something...former WR I believe?
Ding Ding Ding. You just won 100 points....

It's one of those weird facts in football history. People usually answer pretty much every OU qb, but forget about Thompson. I just thought it was a fun trivia question since someone brought up that game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn't see that game; I was actually kinda ill that evening and went to bed early.

My guess would have been Bhomar. When I looked it up out of curiosity, I got 81s point perfectly.

You think of White. You think of Heupel. You think of Bhomar, Bradford, etc.

You never think of Thompson as QB at OU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.