Otto Warmbier (N. Korea's hostage) brain damage - update - dead...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Otto Warmbier (N. Korea's hostage) brain damage

The next time someone says living under a certain president is like being in North Korea, show them this story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had to chuckle at this. One day I was gassing up at Costco and they had a nice young attendant. Not too busy, so he wandered over to chat. I commented that I cut my Taco off at the first click, but that, if I did that with the Miata, I would be more than a gallon short of full, so I had to take 5-6 clicks, no matter what their sign said. He said no problem and then, he told me of an incident where he looked over and saw a guy with the nozzle almost all the way out of the filler tube and with his finger down it, suppressing the cutoff. Now, that wouldn't work with any of mine, but I guess this guy knew his vehicle. The attendant said "Sir, you can't do that." The guy said "Why not? It'll hold more." The attendant replied that it was a company rule, posted, and also it was a federal regulation violation. The guy, who had a very thick accent, said "I left Russia so I wouldn't have to talk to the KGB any more. Talking to you is like talking to the KGB." The attendant was too straight arrow, looked ex-military, to make it up, so I believed him... :)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Re: Otto Wambier (N. Korea's hostage) brain damage

He was 20 or 21 when he stole the poster. The prefrontal cortex doesn't mature until middle to late 20's. This allows kids to do dumb things without having the ability to reason out potential consequences. Unfortunately at this point I dont know what recourse we have, if we even have any.
This is really for another thread, but if that's the case, should we not raise the voting age? Age to contract?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Have we axed those North Korean assassins yet? If not, maybe now is the time...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Otto Wambier (N. Korea's hostage) brain damage

Didn't the doctors say Otto had no sign of traumatic injury? No sign of botulism that the North Koreans claimed as the cause.

I think the doctors said the injury was consistent with oxygen deprivation. Perhaps the young man tried to hang himself?
I think it's more likely that some North Korean sadist in prison choked him out for a bit too long.
And then, having damaged a perfectly viable hostage/bargaining chip, Kim Jung Un killed the sadist with an anti-aircraft gun.
Then the North Koreans tell the Americans, "We don't know what happened to Warmbier. We just found him like that."

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Yeah, it's like those hikers from a few years back who decided to go to Iran without permission. At no point no one said, "Maybe hiking anywhere else might be a better idea?"
Yea we all know that Iran has so much good looking scenery that they were compelled to go:biggrin: It's worth the risk they said!:biggrin:

They did - said it was what is commonly seen in cardiopulmonary arrest where the brain is starved of oxygen. Not a doctor, but I'd think hanging yourself would mimic that.
That or he was choked out. If he hung himself surely there are marks on his neck. Meanwhile anyone with knowledge of MMA could choke him to sleep and not leave a mark. Who knows?!

I hate it too that his life is probably over, but as it has been said earlier in this thread; WHY in the world would you think "hey let's go to North Korea and get hammered and party!". Nothing about that even remotely sounds good, much like hiking in Iran, committing theft and vandalism in Singapore, etc. God gave us a brain for a reason. A case of "not thinking" generally happens when you have too many and you're arrested for public drunkenness, not doing something stupid in Iran or North Korea.

Also idiotic American's going overseas need to realize the minute you left the U.S. your so called "rights" have just gone out the window.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Yea we all know that Iran has so much good looking scenery that they were compelled to go:biggrin: It's worth the risk they said!:biggrin:

That or he was choked out. If he hung himself surely there are marks on his neck. Meanwhile anyone with knowledge of MMA could choke him to sleep and not leave a mark. Who knows?!

I hate it too that his life is probably over, but as it has been said earlier in this thread; WHY in the world would you think "hey let's go to North Korea and get hammered and party!". Nothing about that even remotely sounds good, much like hiking in Iran, committing theft and vandalism in Singapore, etc. God gave us a brain for a reason. A case of "not thinking" generally happens when you have too many and you're arrested for public drunkenness, not doing something stupid in Iran or North Korea.

Also idiotic American's going overseas need to realize the minute you left the U.S. your so called "rights" have just gone out the window.
Actually there are places in Iran that would be worth going to see if the regime wasn't so crazy. A lot of ancient Persian monuments and the Darius cliff are some sites that many historians would find very interesting to go see, but between history and safety I think most would choose the latter over the former

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Ripping down the poster is an impulsive act by a youngster that wasn't thinking clearly.

Going to North Korea in the first place is just plain stupid. Did his parents pay for his trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I think the weirdest thing about this is how the NK handled this. Usually American prisoners are just used as propaganda and have trumped up charges and harsh sentences, but are released very early. That moron Matthew Miller only served 8 months of his 6 year sentence.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

This is going to sound cold and uncaring but..........you can't fix stupid.

I hate it for the family but I have very little sympathy for Warmbier. He knew the risks and he still went. He gets no sympathy from me, only his family.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

I never would have jumped at the chance to go to NK. That's next level potato stupidity. I HAVE done plenty of things in my youth that would/could/should have killed me and were absolutely, stunningly, Darwin Award stupid.

Either it is the way of youth or I am the Highlander. There is no in-between.

For that reason I have sympathy. Probably a good kid even, or would have become a good man.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

CNN is reporting that Otto just died
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/politics/otto-warmbier-dies/index.html

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.