US F/A-18 downs Syrian bomber

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think it really matters if your child comes home in a body bag.

I'm sick and tired of our government wasting US lives on this kind of crap.
I would agree. The question is whether the cost of inaction now will lead to a greater cost of a larger intervention later. Think Rhineland in 1936 or Sudetenland in 1938. Actually, in his Victory Day speech this year, Putin made exactly this point. Putin is not right about much, but I think he was right about that. A little intervention in 1936 might have saved millions of lives 1939-1945.

But on the other hand, I agree with you that this has been too glibly applied to too many situations since 1938. Some crappy situations you just have to let play out.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
When I was younger and more naive about this country I detested 'draft dodgers'. Now, as I have kids who might be called on similarly, I'm thankful I have resources available.

I already sacrifice a ridiculous amount of my income via taxation to fund our involvement all over the world - most of which I wish we would cease. I'm not going to sacrifice my kids for some ideology or for resources. Nope.
I don't think either of us are shocked that I agree on all points.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I have a 17 year old son. This has certainly been on my mind lately.
I have a 21 yr old son and 18 yr old son. The 18 yr old just graduated high school and is not sure what his next step is. I told him enlist in the Coast Guard if he's thinking about a couple of years of service.

The 21 yr old is a Construction Science major so I can see him already getting sucked into the SeeBees or an engineering outfit of the Army. No disrespect, but I'm not happy at all about either of their prospects. I respect the hell out of all the folks that serve and have served, but dammit, defending your country is one thing, securing resources for global cartels is quite another.

I was at the Metallica concert the other night and when I was leaving, I saw this guy who was burned over most of his body sitting in a wheel chair and the thought hit me, "that could be my son if he's sent to one of these God forsaken hell holes."

Screw that. I'll make them "disappear" before they get sent over to the ME.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think it really matters if your child comes home in a body bag.

I'm sick and tired of our government wasting US lives on this kind of crap.
Come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, and don't hesitate
To send your sons off before it's too late.
And you can be the first ones in your block
To have your boy come home in a box.
"I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag"
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/countryjoeandthefish/ifeellikeimfixintodierag.html

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I hope I don't come off as an uncaring father, but I'm desperately trying to get my daughter to sign up for selective service (y'know that thing all men are required by law to do in case of draft.)

She's 17, a huge proponent of equal rights (who isn't) and I explained the gross inequality that the draft presented. The supreme court (this is paraphrasing) had rejected in either 2015 or 16 a request to make SS mandatory for women. Reasoning: the jobs in the military weren't openly available to both sexes.

Fast forward to today and combat jobs are now available to all. I for one genuinely hope it happens. As many stated here, they have sons that have to worry about this. It's about time everyone had to worry about it.

Maybe I am the world's worst father.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I hope I don't come off as an uncaring father, but I'm desperately trying to get my daughter to sign up for selective service (y'know that thing all men are required by law to do in case of draft.)

She's 17, a huge proponent of equal rights (who isn't) and I explained the gross inequality that the draft presented. The supreme court (this is paraphrasing) had rejected in either 2015 or 16 a request to make SS mandatory for women. Reasoning: the jobs in the military weren't openly available to both sexes.

Fast forward to today and combat jobs are now available to all. I for one genuinely hope it happens. As many stated here, they have sons that have to worry about this. It's about time everyone had to worry about it.

Hey man, you know your own kid. If you both decide this is the best thing for her then more power to you.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Not sure how many of you saw this meme campaign against Clinton (#draftourdaughters) during the election, but I'll include it here, because of my above statement. Also, the girl in the first picture, I trained her and she was furious when they took hey picture from a military papers interview and used it for that crap.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Diff strokes, I guess. I'll openly proclaim that if the draft is instituted for a war in which we weren't attacked, I'll do everything in my power to help my kids avoid being drafted.

I have nothing but respect for those willing to lay down their lives in service for our country, but I also harbor nothing but resentment for those who send them over to be cannon fodder over steak-swinging (resources, ideology, whatever you want to call it)...

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'll openly proclaim that if the draft is instituted for a war in which we weren't attacked, I'll do everything in my power to help my kids avoid being drafted.
And that's why I love this country. I 100% believe those are your rights and I think any logical person can understand the desire of a parent trying to protect their child. Just the fact that you can openly state that with no negative repercussions is awesome.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Not at all. I would love my sons to serve and serve proudly, just not fight unconstitutional wars for global profiteering. That's all Iraq and Afghanistan are.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Not at all. I would love my sons to serve and serve proudly, just not fight unconstitutional wars for global profiteering. That's all Iraq and Afghanistan are.
I'm sorry but while I can agree Iraq was global profiteering, Afghanistan harbored the Taliban along with a crazy man that planned the attack on the twin towers.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm sorry but while I can agree Iraq was global profiteering, Afghanistan harbored the Taliban along with a crazy man that planned the attack on the twin towers.
No doubt the Taliban controlled Afghanistan. So what? We knew where Bin Laden was for years and Bill was too busy playing "hide the cigar" instead of sending special forces to take him out. Do you think we invaded Afghanistan strictly for Bin Laden? A trillion dollars worth of minerals are there....wanna guess who's getting those contracts just like they did in Iraq? The Chinese.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
No doubt the Taliban controlled Afghanistan. So what? We knew where Bin Laden was for years and Bill was too busy playing "hide the cigar" instead of sending special forces to take him out. Do you think we invaded Afghanistan strictly for Bin Laden? A trillion dollars worth of minerals are there....wanna guess who's getting those contracts just like they did in Iraq? The Chinese.
I think you could argue more that Bush was a dumb tactician and did not think the war through than him invading Afghanistan for minerals.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.