12 yr old Mormon girl comes out as lesbian at church, has mic cut

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I dunno, do you? :wink:

The serious answer that it's far from unusual for them to know what they're attracted to. Instead of having crush's on boy celebrities she probably has crushes on girl celebrities. The difference is it doesn't seem like she's been encouraged to hide or repress it.
I think an earnest question as a parent (I don't yet have children) is how much do you encourage or lean into your child's sexuality at the age of 12?

What I mean is this - the most recent estimate I can find states that 1.6 - 1.8% of the nation identify as homosexual. For arguments sake let's just say that number is low and double it to 3.1% of the nation. Most of the nation BELIEVES that figure is in the 20th percentile range, but studies haven't backed that up as of yet (some here may have access to studies I did not find).

Given the rarity of that occurrence and given the 'in-progress' nature of a child's puberty and development I would tend to wait and see where the chips fell later in life before I had my kid declaring their sexuality from the pulpit of my church.

I'm not approaching this from a moral point of view, merely an odds one. As a parent I'd take the wait and see approach not based out of a "Hope they grow out of it" mentality but a "this is more rare than people think, let's see how this develops."

Honestly, I'm not a parent so not sure how faithfully I'd stick by that conviction at the moment.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's ok to proceed. I don't think Earle is watching.
I'm pretty much always watching. We're OK so far. I don't think we can really go by little girls' attachments to female celebrities. It's not unusual for little girls to idolize such. The present fixation seems to be Grande. Both of my daughters had such attachments. One turned out gay; the other turned out straight...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I'm pretty much always watching. We're OK so far. I don't think we can really go by little girls' attachments to female celebrities. It's not unusual for little girls to idolize such. The present fixation seems to be Grande. Both of my daughters had such attachments. One turned out gay; the other turned out straight...
I didn't generally mean just attachments to celebrities. It's generally something not expressed openly (although it may manifest itself as appearing to be general fandom). Having heard from people that went through it growing up it's more that there's a little something extra to how they look at them, but they don't always know how to express it or feel that they can express it. It's more of a true crush.

Not trying to say your experiences are wrong or that you don't know what you're talking about or anything like that. Just going by people I know & have discussed it with. I know I was a huge fan of a lot of wrestlers growing up, but it never went beyond fandom attachedness to any sort of attraction, lol. In the cases of females I know it did. Outwardly it was expressed as just being a fan but in private it was much more than that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't generally mean just attachments to celebrities. It's generally something not expressed openly (although it may manifest itself as appearing to be general fandom). Having heard from people that went through it growing up it's more that there's a little something extra to how they look at them, but they don't always know how to express it or feel that they can express it. It's more of a true crush.

Not trying to say your experiences are wrong or that you don't know what you're talking about or anything like that. Just going by people I know & have discussed it with. I know I was a huge fan of a lot of wrestlers growing up, but it never went beyond fandom attachedness to any sort of attraction, lol. In the cases of females I know it did. Outwardly it was expressed as just being a fan but in private it was much more than that.
Well, as I said, I have a gay daughter I don't mind asking. I do remember that she became aware of her tendencies around puberty, not that that need be a general rule. There are many transgender stories of little boys and girls being convinced they were growing up in the wrong body...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
my issues with this have nothing to do with free speech, they had every right to cut the mike (i'm pretty sure the church i grew up in would've done similar if i had come out as a lesbian from the pupit).
You're in a safe space here. Feel free to come out as a lesbian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was about 10 when I saw Ghostbusters and noticed Sigourney Weavers legs and had some naughty thoughts. Plus there was Daisy Duke. So 12 is not too young to know.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I was about 10 when I saw Ghostbusters and noticed Sigourney Weavers legs and had some naughty thoughts. Plus there was Daisy Duke. So 12 is not too young to know.
I was legit a little perv straight on from kindergarten. Don't know why, just was. Never had a cooties phase. Doctor, show and tell, National Geographic magazines, underwear in catalogs, Sigourney Weaver also among many others.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I knew a woman that had a daughter that swore she was a young lesbian. Her mother was OK but as the girl had not fully reached puberty she took it with a grain of salt. Then one day she turned 13, soon she met a boy. Ran away with him at 14. Girls get hit hard with hormones. Anyone with a teenage daughter can testify.
Sometimes it may seem cool to kids to be different. Even if their not.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
My daughter recently turned 11 and has started to notice boys a little bit. At the same time, since Lily is very tall for her age (96th percentile) and has her mother's beautiful, slender features, she's starting to get noticed by boys several years older than her. Sigh. God help me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.