Link: 5 things we learned from Phil Savage's upcoming book on Nick Saban
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

5 things we learned from Phil Savage's upcoming book on Nick Saban

Interesting Read

Cooper Bateman's starting nod vs. Ole Miss in 2015 is (kind of) explained
    The 2015 Ole Miss game is an outlier in Alabama's 2015 national championship season, and not just because the Crimson Tide lost for the only time that year. It's also memorable because Cooper Bateman unexpectedly started over Jake Coker at quarterback. Savage writes that Coker and Saban got into a loud argument in Saban's office following a meeting during Thursday of that week, after Coker grew frustrated that Saban would not decide on a clear No. 1 quarterback. Savage stops short of implying that Coker was benched for disciplinary reasons, but the fact remains that Coker took over midway through the second quarter of the Ole Miss game and started every game after that.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

Re: 5 things we learned from Phil Savage's upcoming book on Nick Saban

I did, and still do, feel there was a Kiffin element in that whole situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Saban's 'Process' didn't begin with Bill Belichick
    Though Saban was greatly influenced by and borrowed liberally from his old friend Belichick while they worked together with the Cleveland Browns in the early 1990s, the roots of Saban's program go back some 50 years. In recruiting the best possible talent, Saban uses a version of the Dallas Cowboys' computerized scouting system, formulated by Gil Brandt, Tex Schramm and Tom Landry in the 1960s. Prospects must meet various "critical factors" in terms of body type, athleticism and character, and are assigned numerical grades in several categories before they are even considered potential recruits for Saban's team.
    Am I alone in never thinking the "Process" came from Belichick nor anything that is mentioned in this graph?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

4. Some insight into the famous sideline blowup between Saban and Lane Kiffin
    Saban and Kiffin's shouting match in the final moments of a 38-10 win over Western Kentucky in September 2016 was caught on camera and became a viral moment. Neither Saban nor Kiffin said publicly what caused the dustup, which occurred after a careless Alabama fumble led to a Western Kentucky touchdown in garbage time. Savage writes that Kiffin said into his headset "dumb players make dumb plays," which all the Crimson Tide coaches heard. Saban snapped back with "no, dumb offensive coordinators call dumb plays." There were probably a few expletives left out.
    This was interesting. Kiffin is an interesting dude..

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Am I alone in never thinking the "Process" came from Belichick nor anything that is mentioned in this graph?
    No you`re not. I`ve always assumed that the Process was an evolutionarily derived entity resulting from years of personal experience, observation ( including but not exclusively CBB ), and his own personal personality and beliefs in how things should work.

I'm betting I'll enjoy this book.
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I'm betting I'll enjoy this book.
    Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I imagine there are a few more adjectives out there that one might use to describe him.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Kiffin (even after being given an extraordinary chance to learn from the master) is an immature dude.

FIFY.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

Can't wait for this book. Sounds like a goody for sure.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    I imagine there are a few more adjectives out there that one might use to describe him.
    Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Kiffin (even after being given an extraordinary chance to learn from the master) is an immature dude.

FIFY.
    Haha I used interesting in order to encompass all such adjectives. He's such a weird dude

Haha I used interesting in order to encompass all such adjectives. He's such a weird dude
    The way that he feels like he has to troll people in social media or have no enthusiasm in his new job and things like that makes me think that he's still emotionally a teenager. You just don't see grown men doing that or at least you used to not see that. All of us have our personalities but if I had a chance to work around CNS I would do everything I could to emulate how he goes about his business.

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I thought it was interesting because we've heard several debates on Coker was sick...Bateman had better practice and etc.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*