Link: 5 things we learned from Phil Savage's upcoming book on Nick Saban - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: 5 things we learned from Phil Savage's upcoming book on Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    No you`re not. I`ve always assumed that the Process was an evolutionarily derived entity resulting from years of personal experience, observation ( including but not exclusively CBB ), and his own personal personality and beliefs in how things should work.
    Same here - it is what my father taught me starting 45+ years ago. The "process" is neither new nor revolutionary, though it use in college football may be.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American mikeua69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I thought it was interesting because we've heard several debates on Coker was sick...Bateman had better practice and etc.
    Saban seemed to use the reference "He has to grab the bull by the horns" a few times at the beginning of the season. I don't think Jake did that until the Ole Miss game. He also won the team over in that game per Saban.
    RTR

Quote Originally Posted by mikeua69 View Post
    Saban seemed to use the reference "He has to grab the bull by the horns" a few times at the beginning of the season. I don't think Jake did that until the Ole Miss game. He also won the team over in that game per Saban.
    We certainly scored enough to win that game. The Ole Miss offense just gave us too much trouble...and we were turning the ball over like crazy.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I think " the process" began from what he learned from Don James and he has tweeked it through the years.

I know one thing, I love Phil Savage. He's one of the best in the business.

Wish he had not spilled the beans in 5 on tamu tackle postures

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Am I alone in never thinking the "Process" came from Belichick nor anything that is mentioned in this graph?
    No. I think the notion Belichick had anything at all to do with Saban's 'process' is laughably anachronistic at best and utterly absurd at worst.

Saban began use of "the process" in the 1998 Ohio State game (played the same day as our sensational comeback against LSU in Baton Rouge in the 22-16 game). He was in his fourth season at Michigan State. If Belichick was so influential regarding the Process then why was Belichick such a monumental failure at Cleveland? Look, I have no doubt these two guys have strongly influenced each other but giving Belichick credit for it is little more than sportswriter simplistic thinking. ("Let me see....Saban worked for Belichick, both are successful, Belichick is at the higher league so Saban must have learned it from him").

What's funny is that people make fun of the hapless Browns now with, "This is the team that fired Bill Belichick." Not only is it not technically the same team (just the same name), but who wouldn't have fired a coach with a 37-45 overall record and ONE playoff win in five years? How many NFL coaches not named Jeff Fisher get to keep their jobs with four losing seasons? Dan Reeves got five with Atlanta, but he would have been gone had he not made the playoffs and beat Green Bay in the first game between the fourth and fifth year (and had taken them to a Super Bowl).

Even Tom Coughlin got fired after his fourth losing season with the Giants and he'd won two rings.

NOTHING suggested Bill Belichick was some sort of football coaching genius when New England hired him. He took over a team that had not had a losing season in five years and.......had their worst year since 1992. He lucked into Tom Brady with a sixth-round pick - and if anyone wants to say "Belichick is a draft genius who saw something," remember that New England picked an offensive tackle (Adrian Klemm), a running back who flopped with them (JR Redmond), another offensive tackle (Greg Randall), a tight end (Dave Stachelski) who never played a down with the Patriots, an offensive guard from Missouri (Jeff Marriott), and strong safety Antwan Harris BEFORE they picked Terrific Tom.

And even then......it was only because of an injury to Drew Bledsoe that Brady even started.

I'm not trying to knock Belichick, who has forgotten more football than I'll ever know......but where was the success of HIS "process" prior to Teaser Tom showing up? Nick Saban has never had a losing season as a head coach at any level; Belichick had five in his first six years. Should I assume "the Process" was in a comatose state or that Belichick was?

The idea that Belichick influenced Saban (and vice versa) is indisputable; the notion that Saban got the process from Belichick is at variance with ever available scrap of evidence.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I think my wife has found my birthday present this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PitMaster View Post
    Wish he had not spilled the beans in 5 on tamu tackle postures
    Well, We probably weren't the only team to notice that...
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by mikeua69 View Post
    He certainly won me over after the Ole Miss game. Now, I knew he was better than Bateman going into that season but I just was not sold on him. For me, Blake Sims (the year before) was obviously more ready than Jake was -- which to me was something of a shocker. When 2015 started he was still hesitant and unsure of himself. I was worried he was going to be a bust. Jake certainly improved his confidence from the Ole Miss game and going forward. He wasn't perfect but he was tough, could make most deep throws and out of nowhere started to seem like a true leader. It was something to see. It was one year and he won't be an NFL QB but I think we owe him a good deal of appreciation.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

Didn't Jake have a broken foot/toe early on and during the Ole Miss game? His game improved in part due to being healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    He certainly won me over after the Ole Miss game. Now, I knew he was better than Bateman going into that season but I just was not sold on him. For me, Blake Sims (the year before) was obviously more ready than Jake was -- which to me was something of a shocker. When 2015 started he was still hesitant and unsure of himself. I was worried he was going to be a bust. Jake certainly improved his confidence from the Ole Miss game and going forward. He wasn't perfect but he was tough, could make most deep throws and out of nowhere started to seem like a true leader. It was something to see. It was one year and he won't be an NFL QB but I think we owe him a good deal of appreciation.
    I think that benching really helped him because instead of all the pressure of being the starting QB for Alabama he was a guy coming in to a game we were already down and struggling in. While its really hard to be the guy that comes in during the middle of a game it is also a lot less pressure IMO and you have less time to think about it. You just have to go out there and play.

BamaNation Second Team

I can't wait to read this book... and I am ready for football season to start!! RTR!