Link: 5 things we learned from Phil Savage's upcoming book on Nick Saban

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Interesting Read

Cooper Bateman's starting nod vs. Ole Miss in 2015 is (kind of) explained
The 2015 Ole Miss game is an outlier in Alabama's 2015 national championship season, and not just because the Crimson Tide lost for the only time that year. It's also memorable because Cooper Bateman unexpectedly started over Jake Coker at quarterback. Savage writes that Coker and Saban got into a loud argument in Saban's office following a meeting during Thursday of that week, after Coker grew frustrated that Saban would not decide on a clear No. 1 quarterback. Savage stops short of implying that Coker was benched for disciplinary reasons, but the fact remains that Coker took over midway through the second quarter of the Ole Miss game and started every game after that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
[FONT=&quot]2. Saban's 'Process' didn't begin with Bill Belichick[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Though Saban was greatly influenced by and borrowed liberally from his old friend Belichick while they worked together with the Cleveland Browns in the early 1990s, the roots of Saban's program go back some 50 years. In recruiting the best possible talent, Saban uses a version of the Dallas Cowboys' computerized scouting system, formulated by Gil Brandt, Tex Schramm and Tom Landry in the 1960s. Prospects must meet various "critical factors" in terms of body type, athleticism and character, and are assigned numerical grades in several categories before they are even considered potential recruits for Saban's team.[/FONT]
Am I alone in never thinking the "Process" came from Belichick nor anything that is mentioned in this graph?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
4. Some insight into the famous sideline blowup between Saban and Lane Kiffin
[FONT=&quot]Saban and Kiffin's shouting match in the final moments of a 38-10 win over Western Kentucky in September 2016 was caught on camera and became a viral moment. Neither Saban nor Kiffin said publicly what caused the dustup, which occurred after a careless Alabama fumble led to a Western Kentucky touchdown in garbage time. Savage writes that Kiffin said into his headset "dumb players make dumb plays," which all the Crimson Tide coaches heard. Saban snapped back with "no, dumb offensive coordinators call dumb plays." There were probably a few expletives left out.[/FONT]
This was interesting. Kiffin is an interesting dude..

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Am I alone in never thinking the "Process" came from Belichick nor anything that is mentioned in this graph?
No you`re not. I`ve always assumed that the Process was an evolutionarily derived entity resulting from years of personal experience, observation ( including but not exclusively CBB ), and his own personal personality and beliefs in how things should work.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Haha I used interesting in order to encompass all such adjectives. He's such a weird dude
The way that he feels like he has to troll people in social media or have no enthusiasm in his new job and things like that makes me think that he's still emotionally a teenager. You just don't see grown men doing that or at least you used to not see that. All of us have our personalities but if I had a chance to work around CNS I would do everything I could to emulate how he goes about his business.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No you`re not. I`ve always assumed that the Process was an evolutionarily derived entity resulting from years of personal experience, observation ( including but not exclusively CBB ), and his own personal personality and beliefs in how things should work.
Same here - it is what my father taught me starting 45+ years ago. The "process" is neither new nor revolutionary, though it use in college football may be.

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
I thought it was interesting because we've heard several debates on Coker was sick...Bateman had better practice and etc.
Saban seemed to use the reference "He has to grab the bull by the horns" a few times at the beginning of the season. I don't think Jake did that until the Ole Miss game. He also won the team over in that game per Saban.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Saban seemed to use the reference "He has to grab the bull by the horns" a few times at the beginning of the season. I don't think Jake did that until the Ole Miss game. He also won the team over in that game per Saban.
We certainly scored enough to win that game. The Ole Miss offense just gave us too much trouble...and we were turning the ball over like crazy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No. I think the notion Belichick had anything at all to do with Saban's 'process' is laughably anachronistic at best and utterly absurd at worst.

Saban began use of "the process" in the 1998 Ohio State game (played the same day as our sensational comeback against LSU in Baton Rouge in the 22-16 game). He was in his fourth season at Michigan State. If Belichick was so influential regarding the Process then why was Belichick such a monumental failure at Cleveland? Look, I have no doubt these two guys have strongly influenced each other but giving Belichick credit for it is little more than sportswriter simplistic thinking. ("Let me see....Saban worked for Belichick, both are successful, Belichick is at the higher league so Saban must have learned it from him").

What's funny is that people make fun of the hapless Browns now with, "This is the team that fired Bill Belichick." Not only is it not technically the same team (just the same name), but who wouldn't have fired a coach with a 37-45 overall record and ONE playoff win in five years? How many NFL coaches not named Jeff Fisher get to keep their jobs with four losing seasons? Dan Reeves got five with Atlanta, but he would have been gone had he not made the playoffs and beat Green Bay in the first game between the fourth and fifth year (and had taken them to a Super Bowl).

Even Tom Coughlin got fired after his fourth losing season with the Giants and he'd won two rings.

NOTHING suggested Bill Belichick was some sort of football coaching genius when New England hired him. He took over a team that had not had a losing season in five years and.......had their worst year since 1992. He lucked into Tom Brady with a sixth-round pick - and if anyone wants to say "Belichick is a draft genius who saw something," remember that New England picked an offensive tackle (Adrian Klemm), a running back who flopped with them (JR Redmond), another offensive tackle (Greg Randall), a tight end (Dave Stachelski) who never played a down with the Patriots, an offensive guard from Missouri (Jeff Marriott), and strong safety Antwan Harris BEFORE they picked Terrific Tom.

And even then......it was only because of an injury to Drew Bledsoe that Brady even started.

I'm not trying to knock Belichick, who has forgotten more football than I'll ever know......but where was the success of HIS "process" prior to Teaser Tom showing up? Nick Saban has never had a losing season as a head coach at any level; Belichick had five in his first six years. Should I assume "the Process" was in a comatose state or that Belichick was?

The idea that Belichick influenced Saban (and vice versa) is indisputable; the notion that Saban got the process from Belichick is at variance with ever available scrap of evidence.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.