News Article: Supreme Court Ruling Is Great For Washington Redskins In Trademark Battle

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
CLICKY

The law used by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to prevent the Washington Redskins from registering trademarks in and relating to the word "Redskins" and the logos used by the team has been ruled unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court. An opinion authored by Justice Samuel Alito states that the law precluding the registration of offensive marks, such as "Redskins," is improper under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.The Supreme Court's opinion includes the Court's position that it is "far fetched to suggest that the content of a registered mark is government speech, especially given the fact that if trademarks become government speech when they are registered, the Federal Government is babbling prodigiously and incoherently."

Thoughts?

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
wait till you see the license plate that I order, can't even post it here but now the government can't stop me
Actually, since the state of Georgia issues the license plate, then they can deny you the plate that you would like and that you deem to be so bad that you cannot post it here.
And, you cannot file a lawsuit against the state of Georgia without their consent as per today's ruling from the Georgia State Supreme Court.

I just thought that was interesting that these two rulings were handed down on the same day.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Seems like a huge waste of time and money on the part of both the plaintiffs and defendants. If a Washington fan is offended by the use of the term "Redskins" then he/she/they should adopt a new team to pull for like the Ravens of Jets. Who cares.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.