Poll: Would Ray Perkins Have Won a National Championship at Bama, Had He Stayed?

If Perkins stayed at UA, would he have won a National Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I would say Curry would have had a better shot of getting lucky because of the crazy amount of talent he acquired. But the real problem for either Perkins and Curry is facing Spurrier in his prime.
Facing and beating Spurrier in his prime was a real problem for an awful lot of coaches including Coach Stallings.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I don't think Bama would have won a national championship under Perkins. He was a solid coach, but certainly not great.
I DO think Bama would have won a national championship in 1999 had Gene Stallings still been the coach.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I seriously doubt it. With a 1-3 record against Penn State(I realize one of those was a robbery), I don't think he would have been able to beat either the canes or the noles, who were both the more dominant programs during his tenure at Alabama.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I seriously doubt it. With a 1-3 record against Penn State(I realize one of those was a robbery), I don't think he would have been able to beat either the canes or the noles, who were both the more dominant programs during his tenure at Alabama.
Forget the canes and noles, I think he would've had a hard time beating spurrier and buster brown.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
'86 Penn State was a physical beatdown. I was there. 23-3 in Tuscaloosa. Penn State looked like men. We looked like boys.

That was Perks last year. We were unable to complete. He was NOT heading for any championships.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
'86 Penn State was a physical beatdown. I was there. 23-3 in Tuscaloosa. Penn State looked like men. We looked like boys.

That was Perks last year. We were unable to complete. He was NOT heading for any championships.
That game is not a fair one time litmus test of Perkins potential, nor was it a fair representation of our true team. Both teams were undefeated, and Alabama had risen to #2 in the nation. It was a day game, and Bama was coming in off the breaking of a mini tennessee streak, a 56-28 win in knoxville the week before. Bama had beaten Ohio State, Notre Dame, Florida, and Tennessee (3 game away from home) and I think was a bit physically and especially mentally drained that day.

Meanwhile, PSU had played ...

Temple
@BC
East Carolina
Rutgers
Cincinatti
Syracuse

PSU likely had been planning and pointing to UA for some weeks, had only played one game away from sappy valley, and looked to be fresher and just more ready to play. I think Bama hit a wall, while PSU was primed to run through one that day.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.