News Article: Bots Used to Bias Online Political Chats

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The use of these have been growing more and more prevalent and being used on a variety of things. Some people here will think I'm just talking about a certain election and tune out assuming it's fake news but it should be of growing concern to everyone out there no matter your political persuasion.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40344208

If you've been chatting about politics on social media recently, there's a good chance you've been part of a conversation that was manipulated by bots, researchers say.

The Oxford Internet Institute (OII) has studied such discussions related to nine places - US, Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Canada, China, Taiwan, Brazil and Poland - on platforms including Twitter and Facebook.

It claims that in all the elections, political crises and national security-related discussions it looked at, there was not one instance where social media opinion had not been manipulated.

It remains difficult to quantify the impact such bots have had.

But the OII's researchers believe that "computational propaganda is now one of the most powerful tools against democracy".

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, one thing that should be pointed out is that monetization by itself has really skewed political discussions on social media. To give one example, I was on a (edit: I should clarify it was a political page) Facebook page which was quite popular and had very good reach. At that point in time, the reach and interaction was pretty much legitimate and just helped along by Facebook algorithms. Even then though, the formula was pretty basic and we knew what it took to get a huge reach. Basically the more likes and responses you got, the more people would see it, and the more likes and responses you would get. I had posts that were viewed by hundreds of thousands of people and reluctantly fed into what it took to get a larger reach (like using images instead of just typing something). I have no doubt that there were many people goosing their numbers though, there were sites even then where you could do things like trade likes, and if you just had access to other pages you reach a massive audience by sharing posts on that page as well.

The thing is, Facebook changed things dramatically and cut off that easily manipulated method in favor of another (now you access a much smaller audience typically). Paid reach, which is more easily manipulated in truth. Facebook knows just about everything about their users, and if you're willing to pay up they will take any post and have it show up to in someone's feed that is more likely to react how you want them to react! You don't need bots, you just need money and Facebook will rig it for you. In that way though it's no different than paid advertisements I suppose, but think about it, what's the difference really? It's no more legitimate to buy reach than to employ an army of bots to achieve the same ends is it? Both are manipulations.

This all gets back to the fact that there never really has been an equitable and trustworthy way to get news or even share opinions. Newspapers have bias, the media in general has bias, and social media just amplifies how easily manipulated things are. Make no mistake though, there's nothing new about this manipulation. Badder Adder for Myspace, fake views for YouTube, fake plays on steaming sites, people complain about fake Twitter followers for Trump, but Hillary and Obama had a similar ratio. The truth is if it can be manipulated it will be manipulated, so just take it all with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The use of these have been growing more and more prevalent and being used on a variety of things. Some people here will think I'm just talking about a certain election and tune out assuming it's fake news but it should be of growing concern to everyone out there no matter your political persuasion.

That is why you need people like me to occasionally drop by, and see if I can screw with their algorithms.

A buddy decided, quite abruptly one day, that he had to delete his FakeLook account.

Someone told him it is run by the CIA.

(BTW, care to guess who his favorite kook Presidential candidate was, this last go-round?)

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

That is why you need people like me to occasionally drop by, and see if I can screw with their algorithms.

A buddy decided, quite abruptly one day, that he had to delete his FakeLook account.

(BTW, care to guess who his favorite kook Presidential candidate was, this last go-round?)
I wonder if there is something we can throw into a conversation and throw them off?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Tread carefully my liberal brother.

It's absolutely amazing how one man's incisive, deductive, incredibly discriminating reasoning is another man's profiling.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, one thing that should be pointed out is that monetization by itself has really skewed political discussions on social media. To give one example, I was on a (edit: I should clarify it was a political page) Facebook page which was quite popular and had very good reach. At that point in time, the reach and interaction was pretty much legitimate and just helped along by Facebook algorithms. Even then though, the formula was pretty basic and we knew what it took to get a huge reach. Basically the more likes and responses you got, the more people would see it, and the more likes and responses you would get. I had posts that were viewed by hundreds of thousands of people and reluctantly fed into what it took to get a larger reach (like using images instead of just typing something). I have no doubt that there were many people goosing their numbers though, there were sites even then where you could do things like trade likes, and if you just had access to other pages you reach a massive audience by sharing posts on that page as well.

The thing is, Facebook changed things dramatically and cut off that easily manipulated method in favor of another (now you access a much smaller audience typically). Paid reach, which is more easily manipulated in truth. Facebook knows just about everything about their users, and if you're willing to pay up they will take any post and have it show up to in someone's feed that is more likely to react how you want them to react! You don't need bots, you just need money and Facebook will rig it for you. In that way though it's no different than paid advertisements I suppose, but think about it, what's the difference really? It's no more legitimate to buy reach than to employ an army of bots to achieve the same ends is it? Both are manipulations.

This all gets back to the fact that there never really has been an equitable and trustworthy way to get news or even share opinions. Newspapers have bias, the media in general has bias, and social media just amplifies how easily manipulated things are.
Make no mistake though, there's nothing new about this manipulation. Badder Adder for Myspace, fake views for YouTube, fake plays on steaming sites, people complain about fake Twitter followers for Trump, but Hillary and Obama had a similar ratio. The truth is if it can be manipulated it will be manipulated, so just take it all with a grain of salt.
Just take the far left outlets and the far right, and disregard both. Take the remainder and you're pretty close as you can get to the actual situation....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40344208
The problem we have is that the current crop of Republicans are perfectly happy for the Russians to have their thumbs on the scales for their current candidate. The shortsightedness is both alarming and appalling but it is what it is. (I would be saying the same about Democrats, had they the same attitude, since I'm neither.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.