Link: US Boots on the ground in southern Philippines helping combat ISIS

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I received a phone call today from a Filipino pastor in Mindanao. They are apparently under martial law. As he was born Muslim and then converted, he is under a lifelong death sentence. ISIS is a genuine presence in Mindanao right now. Needless to say, things are a bit tense there at the moment.

***-To the OP, I don't agree with American boots on the ground without Congressional approval and a formal declaration of war. I just had this situation in the forefront of my mind as I only received the message an hour or two ago.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
IMO, the police/military of the country in question should be responsible for defending their citizens. I don't have a problem, when it comes to allies, of providing support in the form of intelligence, logistics, etc. But, I'm not in a rush to have our troops bleed for other people.
I view Isis as a global threat so while I generally agree with letting other countries solve their own problems, when it comes to Isis I disagree.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They can solve it themselves or ask the UN for help.
The level of incompetency of NATO and UN forces without USA and U.K. Involvement pretty much makes it better that if there need to be boots on the ground then it needs to be ours.

Fwiw the Aussies and the Canadians are also effective but they only go in if either of the two are in it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i think we can and should help in certain situations, but i am in agreement with bamachile about proper approval
Yeah just think, had we waited for proper approval from congress for that silly territorial issue in 1950, we wouldn't have concerns about Shortround invading or bombing lands south of his border... we would just have to worry about overthrowing their former overlords in the east. *** blue font***

Last time war was formally declared was WWII. You can't tell me every military engagement since then was unwarranted. Yes there are some, but a big reason we haven't formally declared since June 5, 1942 is because of our status as a super power and Cold War and post Cold War politics. Honestly presidential war powers resolution of 90 days is the best solution. So since January 6th, 2002 our involvement in Afghanistan has been on congressional extension.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah just think, had we waited for proper approval from congress for that silly territorial issue in 1950, we wouldn't have concerns about Shortround invading or bombing lands south of his border... we would just have to worry about overthrowing their former overlords in the east. *** blue font***

Last time war was formally declared was WWII. You can't tell me every military engagement since then was unwarranted. Yes there are some, but a big reason we haven't formally declared since June 5, 1942 is because of our status as a super power and Cold War and post Cold War politics. Honestly presidential war powers resolution of 90 days is the best solution. So since January 6th, 2002 our involvement in Afghanistan has been on congressional extension.
yes, i am aware of all of that.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
IMO, the police/military of the country in question should be responsible for defending their citizens. I don't have a problem, when it comes to allies, of providing support in the form of intelligence, logistics, etc. But, I'm not in a rush to have our troops bleed for other people.
The mission of US Army Special Forces (commonly called Green Berets) is to train allied nations to fight, especially fight against insurgents (called Foreign Internal Defense), or, alternatively, to recruit, organize, and train insurgents to fight against their government (Unconventional Warfare). SF can also fight directly, but their primary roles are FID and UW.

In the case of the PI, the Filipino government has legal constraints against foreigners fighting on their soil, so SF being sucked into the direct combat role is unlikely.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The level of incompetency of NATO and UN forces without USA and U.K. Involvement pretty much makes it better that if there need to be boots on the ground then it needs to be ours.

Fwiw the Aussies and the Canadians are also effective but they only go in if either of the two are in it.
It's the Aussies neighborhood, they should take point

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That's fine, but really, it's not our problem.
Maybe not, but the problem with the Non US coalition route is that they have the tendency to either half heartedly go in or mess up so bad that we get involved anyways, and usually it's worse due to the ground we have to make up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe not, but the problem with the Non US coalition route is that they have the tendency to either half heartedly go in or mess up so bad that we get involved anyways, and usually it's worse due to the ground we have to make up.
My point is if it's not affecting us directly, we shouldn't be involved at all. Non US coalition screws it up badly? Fine. I really don't care.

IMO, the attitude that we need to be involved in everything 'or it will affect us eventually' is why we've essentially been at war constantly since WWII ended. It's time to sit back and let the rest of the world take care of itself - I'm tired of our government wasting our kids' lives and untold amounts of money being involved in everything. It's ridiculous. And it only takes a bit of research to note the incredible amount of 'unintended consequences' the US has created for itself over the last few decades to see that stepping back would be better for everyone...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
If the US keeps fighting everyone's battles then no one will stand up for themselves. I'm a big believer in incentives (and disincentives). Encourage bad behavior or lazy behavior and that's what you'll get. This applies to domestic policy and foreign policy.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Please clarify one thing. I thought Muslim was a religion not a race? Since I am not Muslim, I do not know their practices. I just wanted to have some one clarify that point.

I received a phone call today from a Filipino pastor in Mindanao. They are apparently under martial law. As he was born Muslim and then converted, he is under a lifelong death sentence. ISIS is a genuine presence in Mindanao right now. Needless to say, things are a bit tense there at the moment.

***-To the OP, I don't agree with American boots on the ground without Congressional approval and a formal declaration of war. I just had this situation in the forefront of my mind as I only received the message an hour or two ago.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

You're probably right, but with the hatred in the world toward us and the alleged arrogance that we hold, maybe it's time for us to pull back a bit and let others use their "elite" problem solving skills to unwind some of these messes instead of big brother coming to bail their arses out time and time again.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.