Link: Jalen Reportedly a Counselor at the Manning Passing Academy

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Peyton offers tips to Jalen.
This just made me even more ready for the season. It can't get here fast enough.

Yup..That was expected playing a TF QB..Hopefully that won't happen with the experience he gained as starter last year..
Yea, I didn't mean to knock him for it just that it's something he needs to work on. From the above it sounds like he has been really working on his footwork which sounds promising.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
At this point (considering he started as a true freshman and won SEC Offensive Player of the Year), it's fair to start wondering why the recruiting services seemed to have missed on him somewhat.

I remember WMack at one point saying how important Hurts was, and that Alabama really couldn't afford to lose him. This was interesting to me because without taking a closer look, he felt a bit like filler (Alabama did after all have Bateman, Cornwell, and Barnett all highly rated recruits). 4 star, yes but we're talking about a guy who wasn't in the top 25 in his state. After that though I started to pay a bit more attention.

247 wasn't as far off, they had him as #3 dual threat, 26th in the state, 178 overall. That's pretty good, but still Bateman was rated higher (and contrast what he heard about him coming out of this same camp). Rivals had him at 9/31/231. ESPN really didn't like Hurts. He was 61st in the state according to them. I think at this point, even admitting some faults in his game, his recruiting rankings were off. I do wonder if perhaps some of the lingering doubts are driven by recruiting analysis that seems to have missed the mark.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Krazy - you're not wrong but each class is compared only against that years available talent. The Bateman/Cornwell/Barnett comparisons don't hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Krazy - you're not wrong but each class is compared only against that years available talent. The Bateman/Cornwell/Barnett comparisons don't hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are a few other factors that go into things, but this is main one. What was the competition for the position rankings in that given year? I like to use the 2010 recruiting class as the best example. We all loved getting Phillip Simms because he was highly ranked for his position. Turns out, the majority of that QB class was hot garbage.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I understand the point in respect to other quarterbacks, but when ESPN says there were 60 other senior high schoolers in the state of Texas better than him, that's just way off the mark. To get back to Bateman, ESPN had him 44th in the entire country! So yeah you can say sure talent is better overall one year vs the next, but when they say Hurts is 61st in his state and Bateman is 44th in the country, that's heck of a wide margin between the two (when if anything the inverse is true). It wasn't just that they didn't have Hurts as the top QB or anything, that's understandable. No one had him as a top 100 player at all (Bateman, Barnett, and Cornwell were all top 100 overall by at least one service).

Does anyone want to try listing the 100 recruits from last season that were better than Hurts? That was kind of my point...

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I understand the point in respect to other quarterbacks, but when ESPN says there were 60 other senior high schoolers in the state of Texas better than him, that's just way off the mark. To get back to Bateman, ESPN had him 44th in the entire country! So yeah you can say sure talent is better overall one year vs the next, but when they say Hurts is 60th in the state and Bateman is 44th in the country, that's heck of a wide margin between the two (when if anything the inverse is true). It wasn't just that they didn't have Hurts as the top QB or anything, that's understandable. No one had him as a top 100 player at all (Bateman, Barnett, and Cornwell were all top 100 overall by at least one service).
I think its fair at this point that almost everyone missed on Hurts. I know it can vary for each service/scout/style but I always assumed 5 stars were supposed to be immediate impact starters. Hurts certainly fits that description.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
That said, I do think Jacobs is the bigger miss. Dude is a star and if it wasn't for the incredible depth we have at RB the whole country would know it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That said, I do think Jacobs is the bigger miss. Dude is a star and if it wasn't for the incredible depth we have at RB the whole country would know it.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure his high school coach didn't do much publicizing until around December, which is why he was so under the radar. If a coach doesn't send out film on a guy and the player doesn't attend many camps, recruiting services won't know about him.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
To be fair, I'm pretty sure his high school coach didn't do much publicizing until around December, which is why he was so under the radar. If a coach doesn't send out film on a guy and the player doesn't attend many camps, recruiting services won't know about him.
True ... I'm just glad both are playing for the Tide :)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You can say that again. I`d be surprised if someone hasn`t been in his ear regarding a transfer. That kid can tote the rock.
I have a sneaking suspicion Daboll has a sizable roll for him in his offense. The patriots have always been creative with their RBs and Jacobs is a versatile guy. I would like to see him getting reps in the slot so he can become a good route runner as well. He might fit the Lewis role to Bo's Blount role.

Also, saw a PFF stat showing that Jacobs and Bo ranked 1 and 4 respectively in their elusive rating last year.

Good point. We are lucky to have found him. And to think, OU could have really used him with the departure of Perine & Mixon

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have a sneaking suspicion Daboll has a sizable roll for him in his offense. The patriots have always been creative with their RBs and Jacobs is a versatile guy. I would like to see him getting reps in the slot so he can become a good route runner as well. He might fit the Lewis role to Bo's Blount role.

Also, saw a PFF stat showing that Jacobs and Bo ranked 1 and 4 respectively in their elusive rating last year.

Good point. We are lucky to have found him. And to think, OU could have really used him with the departure of Perine & Mixon
Yep, RB James White had 10 catches in the Super Bowl and Jacobs had several catches in the spring game including the catch and run that set-up the game winning FG for the Crimson. He will get some carries but he will really be unleashed with catches matched up against LB's in the open field and they will have no chance with him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.