Senate Healthcare Bill Released (zombied for now)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Senate Healthcare Bill Released

Sometimes, reading these boards does indeed make me feel really, really old, and I don't mean from aches and pains. I see me 50 years ago...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

What an utterly ridiculous comment. If that's your take away from all my posts on this subject then your reading comprehension is nil, and you are devoid of any understanding of basic finance.
This amuses me. Especially coming from someone pitching savings plans traditionally used by high earners as a solution for the 30 million about to lose healthcare.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Sometimes, reading these boards does indeed make me feel really, really old, and I don't mean from aches and pains. I see me 50 years ago...

let's go live in Lake Wobegon, "" where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average." - .

You've grown weak in your old age, Boss Man. Tough love is where it's at. Fish or cut bait. No work no eat. I forgot to include get sick and die.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

This amuses me. Especially coming from someone pitching savings plans traditionally used by high earners as a solution for the 30 million about to lose healthcare.
The 30M reference is hyperbolic. The vast majority of that number, according to the CBO itself, will choose not to purchase insurance due to the absence of federal coercion.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

The 30M reference is hyperbolic. The vast majority of that number, according to the CBO itself, will choose not to purchase insurance due to the absence of federal coercion.
What coercion are you referring to? You think 30 million are being coerced now to buy insurance?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Preliminary stats from IRS indicate 6.5 million people paid the penalty in 2016. The average penalty was $470.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/newsroom/commissionerletteracafilingseason.pdf
Now how do you get to 30 million people coerced?
75% (or so) of that 30M number will choose not to purchase insurance in the future according to the CBO. These may be people who currently buy insurance (not just those who currently choose not to purchase insurance). But keep in mind that the CBO's numbers also include phantom insureds (i.e. additional people who would buy insurance in the future under current law).

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Why? It's dead on arrival .
Well for one thing, its so they don't look as inept as Republicans. They had 6 years to get their **** together, only to have their bills spiked by members of their own majority. At least this way, Democrats will appear as if they actually are trying to do the job they were sent there for instead of just being obstructionist because their guy isn't in office.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

Well for one thing, its so they don't look as inept as Republicans. They had 6 years to get their **** together, only to have their bills spiked by members of their own majority. At least this way, Democrats will appear as if they actually are trying to do the job they were sent there for instead of just being obstructionist because their guy isn't in office.
Trying to do what they were sent to do would be making a bill that both parties will agree on. Both parties instead make legislation that they know the other will disagree with so they can say : " look they are against saving babies. " or " they hate the military."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Trying to do what they were sent to do would be making a bill that both parties will agree on. Both parties instead make legislation that they know the other will disagree with so they can say : " look they are against saving babies. " or " they hate the military."
Unfortunately true.
The status quo probably puts slightly more pressure on the Democrats. The Republicans have the majority of the House/Senate/White House, but the current law is a Democrats-only creation. If it crashes and burns, the Republicans can say, "Thou canst not say I did it. Shake not thy gory locks at me."
Would be nice to see both parties cooperate to make things better, though.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

There is a problem with your position. In essence the Democrats did that with the ACA. They took what was for a long time the Republican plan and adapted it. Everyone knows Democrats really believe it should be single-payer system for all. So, trying to get something done, they brought in the ACA, which was an adaptation of Romney's successful Republican healthcare plan in Massachusetts.

So this bill, which is to fix the problems with the ACA because they had no input from Republicans to get buy-in on the first go around, is an attempt to fix a Republican plan that was enacted by Democrats. I am not sure you can say that isn't an attempt to work with the other side. Oh, it is also important to remember that Yertle the Turtle decided the Republicans weren't going to work with Obama no matter the subject, and decided to stick his obstructionist head in the sand.

Maybe I misunderstood your point, but where exactly is all of this "both sides are only interested in making the other look bad" stuff coming from?

Now, that isn't to say that the Democrats have not been dragging their feet on stuff for Trump. But when you look at both the House and Senate versions of the health care bills, there is absolutely no way you can even pretend to say that it isn't just a victory lap by the Republicans where they will remove insurance from > 20M Americans that currently have it, to give a tax break to 400 households and some large corporations.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Unfortunately true.
The status quo probably puts slightly more pressure on the Democrats. The Republicans have the majority of the House/Senate/White House, but the current law is a Democrats-only creation. If it crashes and burns, the Republicans can say, "Thou canst not say I did it. Shake not thy gory locks at me."
Would be nice to see both parties cooperate to make things better, though.
This just isn't true.

Romneycare Vs. Obamacare: Key Similarities & Differences

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

I'm afraid it simply is true. How many Republicans voted for Obamacare?
You said:
Tidewater said:
The Republicans have the majority of the House/Senate/White House, but the current law is a Democrats-only creation

That fundamentally isn't true. There is a difference between a bill that is chock full of Republican principles and yet deciding to call it a Democrat-only creation because no Republicans voted for it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.