Senate Healthcare Bill Released (zombied for now)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Re: Senate Healthcare Bill Released

So that's McCain, Rand Paul, and Susan Collins in the No column. Not looking good for the bill.
After years of demonizing and opposing literally everything the Democrats tried under McConnell's leadership, we now see the inescapable plight of the modern GOP: Can't work with Democrats or they'll get primaried by their rabid base. Can't work without Democrats, because they don't have the votes. And they can't just sit and do nothing, because their megadonors will stop giving money.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

After years of demonizing and opposing literally everything the Democrats tried under McConnell's leadership, we now see the inescapable plight of the modern GOP: Can't work with Democrats or they'll get primaried by their rabid base. Can't work without Democrats, because they don't have the votes. And they can't just sit and do nothing, because their megadonors will stop giving money.
if only someone could have warned them that this might happen.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Murkowski is unfettered by concerns of being primaried. She was primaried by the GOP and won as a write in LOL

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Murkowski is unfettered by concerns of being primaried. She was primaried by the GOP and won as a write in LOL
i read that the attempted bribe for her vote is that alaska gets to basically keep the disastrous obamacare while everything changes for the rest of the country

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

i read that the attempted bribe for her vote is that alaska gets to basically keep the disastrous obamacare while everything changes for the rest of the country
IMHO, only the people who are willfully blind don't understand the implication here.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

A bit, but probably nothing like you have.
Well, generally, I favor holding matters closer to home. However, I've not only dealt with them across the table, I've worked for them as an income tax examiner. I do think some states could handle healthcare and do a good job, better than the federal government. However, as I've said many times, I'm a pragmatist, not an ideologue. I don't think Alabama's government could begin to do a decent job of healthcare. I think, just like so many other government functions here, it would become an enormous pork barrel, with the legislature and bureaucrats scrambling to see how much of the money they could score for themselves. There's a reason our state government is continually being singled out by so many different sources as being the worst in the country. They have earned the reputation...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Well, generally, I favor holding matters closer to home. However, I've not only dealt with them across the table, I've worked for them as an income tax examiner. I do think some states could handle healthcare and do a good job, better than the federal government. However, as I've said many times, I'm a pragmatist, not an ideologue. I don't think Alabama's government could begin to do a decent job of healthcare. I think, just like so many other government functions here, it would become an enormous pork barrel, with the legislature and bureaucrats scrambling to see how much of the money they could score for themselves. There's a reason our state government is continually being singled out by so many different sources as being the worst in the country. They have earned the reputation...
I couldn't agree more.

I've seen a study that shows red states take more federal dollars than they pay in. The blue states are carrying the load. The very states insisting they manage their own Medicaid money have proven themselves unable to do so.

http://www.businessinsider.com/red-states-more-dependent-on-federal-government-2015-7

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

I couldn't agree more.

I've seen a study that shows red states take more federal dollars than they pay in. The blue states are carrying the load. The very states insisting they manage their own Medicaid money have proven themselves unable to do so.

http://www.businessinsider.com/red-states-more-dependent-on-federal-government-2015-7
Worse yet, since the majorities of the red states believe that government programs benefit undesirables they want to shut them down and force the undesirables to move out of "Their" state.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

This columnist puts it fairly well:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/09/22/jimmy-kimmel-no-clue-hes-talking/#.WcUh-1xAOZ8.twitter

What I would say is: Read a book. Do your research. Understand that federal requirements in Obamacare didn’t exist until just a few years ago and that the number of people denied coverage for a pre-existing condition was minuscule prior to that, and are mitigated under this legislation. Don’t assume you know what you’re talking about. And definitely don’t lecture the rest of the country from a pretentious moral high-ground based on an utter misunderstanding of your subject matter, you partisan hack.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

It's much less risky to experiment at the state-level than for the federal government to experiment on the entire nation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's much less risky to experiment at the state-level than for the federal government to experiment on the entire nation.
When it comes to Alabama, it would be no experiment at all. Everyone but the absolute ostriches would know exactly what would happen...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Of course, anyone who thought he would vote otherwise is a [fill in the blank]. McCain is too emotionally wrapped up in this to vote for it.
I think it's the opposite. I think he's now absolutely free to vote his conscience and that's what he's doing...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.