McDonald's stock hits all time high as cashiers are replaced with kiosks

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
The louder the screams were for entry level menial positions pay increases, the likelier it being replaced via electronics. I am not surprised by this at all. It genuinely sucks for all those college and high school kids that used this as an entry job while going to school.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The louder the screams were for entry level menial positions pay increases, the likelier it being replaced via electronics. I am not surprised by this at all. It genuinely sucks for all those college and high school kids that used this as an every job while going to school.
I really feel bad for the young people starting out.
Learning how to check a work schedule, show up at the right place at the right time with the right clothes on, day after day, and getting rewarded for that by promotion or future job references. Those are important for young people early on and not every young person has those skills.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Learning how to check a work schedule, show up at the right place at the right time with the right clothes on, day after day, and getting rewarded for that by promotion or future job references. Those are important for young people early on and not every young person has those skills.
Get out of here with your old school work ethic ideas. Some folks today expect to dress how they want, show up when it's convenient, and be promoted to management within a month of starting or they don't want the job. I have personally witnessed this thought process in some of todays youth.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
And here people thought there would be a thread that wasn't political. Thanks for saving us from that.
It used to always be Bush's fault. Now it's Trump's fault for the uneducated/unskilled masses protesting for money they didn't deserve. Oh wait, all of those protests happened under the great community organizer's watch, didn't they?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yep. Both of my older two boys started out in food service related jobs. I think they are important for young folks because believe it or not, it teaches you some basic life skills including treating people how you want to be treated as well as using some basic manners. Other than the management positions, most of these jobs aren't really intended to support a family. I respect the ones that work those jobs but to demand higher pay for a relatively unskilled job is insane. Geez, when I worked at A&P we actually had to use a true "cash register" and punch in the prices and you actually had to do math in your head to give people the correct change. I love giving the cashier $20.12, when my meal is $5.07. They look at me like I've lost my mind. But most of those folks can't do the simple math in their head to realize what I've just done or why I've done it. (and yes, typically I don't have the nickel at the time otherwise I would have given them the nickel instead of the dime.)

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The sooner people stop settling for these types of jobs and pursue more education or training, the better we'll all be...
I don't know, my company is spending millions to replace me and other locomotive engineers. I'm not sure where automation will stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't know, my company is spending millions to replace me and other locomotive engineers. I'm not sure where automation will stop.
It won't, which is why education, specially education and training in technology, is critical. For at least the next hundred years there will be an increasing demand for software and hardware engineers and techs to design, build, and repair the automation devices replacing job. They'll start off replacing the simpler jobs first but will increase over time to replace lots of jobs.

I predict it will be a long time before we have machines that can be told 'make a machine that does this' and can design, build, and employ the creation without human intervention. Until then the tech job market will be huge.

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
It won't, which is why education, specially education and training in technology, is critical. For at least the next hundred years there will be an increasing demand for software and hardware engineers and techs to design, build, and repair the automation devices replacing job. They'll start off replacing the simpler jobs first but will increase over time to replace lots of jobs.

I predict it will be al ing time before we have machines that can be told 'make a machine that does this' and can design, build, and employ the creation without human intervention. Until then the tech job market will be huge.
When machines start designing and building themselves we are in trouble....isn't there a movie or three about that?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm not sure why, but I didn't really think of locomotive engineers. How many people are in that role in your industry? I know autonomous trucks and cars will take out a ton of jobs in the trucking and taxi industry.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure why, but I didn't really think of locomotive engineers. How many people are in that role in your industry? I know autonomous trucks and cars will take out a ton of jobs in the trucking and taxi industry.
I'm pretty ignorant regarding the job of a locomotive engineer, but superficially it seems that would be an easier job to automate than the trucking industry.

That said, there's a chunk of my heart that's always wanted AlexanderFan's job. Seems like it would be a pretty cool way to see parts of the country you could never see otherwise.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

I predict it will be a long time before we have machines that can be told 'make a machine that does this' and can design, build, and employ the creation without human intervention. Until then the tech job market will be huge.
While you are right about those opportunities, I'm not really sure I share your optimism on future employment. I personally don't think the number of new jobs created will outpace the jobs lost. Heck from my post about there are 5 million jobs at risk due to autonomous vehicles. When farm and manufacturing jobs were lost, the population shifted to the cities and there was a boom of white collar jobs. I'm fairly certain the next 50 years for white collar jobs will be like the last 50 for blue collar.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.