McDonald's stock hits all time high as cashiers are replaced with kiosks

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My niece works in a warehouse. She said that if an employee shows up on time every day for a week, she gets a $2/hour bonus. She said it is rare that employees get that bonus (She gets the bonus every week, however).
I show up on time and they don't give me jack squat. An extra $80 a week and I'll definitely be there on time. Is this place hiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I wonder how military and leo jobs will be affected over the next 50-100 years...
"It's good that war is so horrible..." and all that. And I hear all the time, "soldiers will be replaced by automation, etc etc."

No, it won't. A microprocessor for any computer represents
-millions in r&d
-gold
-copper
-platinum (sometime)
Numerous other valuable minerals. So, that's not including the steel or other products for any autonomous components they would use in pilot or soldier replacement.

Now, price that vs you and me. We cost food and maybe (maybe not at that point) pay. We're a nearly limitless resource vs production of any autonomous components. 1984, the war is created to waste resources made available so none shall ever have except those that have already.

Holy crap, I apologize for that ridiculous tangent.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
A robot burger flipper! You might be right after all CA!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ger-joint-near-you/ar-BBDLbOR?ocid=spartandhp

Enter Miso Robotics. The southern California start-up has built a robotic "kitchen assistant" called Flippy to do the hot, greasy and repetitive work of a fry cook. Flippy employs machine learning and computer vision to identify patties on a grill, track them as they cook, flip and then place them on a bun when they're done.

Miso is part of a budding kitchen automation industry. Its peers include Zume Pizza, Cafe X, Makr Shakr, Frobot and Sally, which are developing robots to help commercial kitchens churn out pizzas, lattes, cocktails, frozen yogurt, and salads.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Yep. Both of my older two boys started out in food service related jobs. I think they are important for young folks because believe it or not, it teaches you some basic life skills including treating people how you want to be treated as well as using some basic manners. Other than the management positions, most of these jobs aren't really intended to support a family. I respect the ones that work those jobs but to demand higher pay for a relatively unskilled job is insane. Geez, when I worked at A&P we actually had to use a true "cash register" and punch in the prices and you actually had to do math in your head to give people the correct change. I love giving the cashier $20.12, when my meal is $5.07. They look at me like I've lost my mind. But most of those folks can't do the simple math in their head to realize what I've just done or why I've done it. (and yes, typically I don't have the nickel at the time otherwise I would have given them the nickel instead of the dime.)
but you still have the same amount of money, just depends whether it's in bills or coins

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Yep, but in this case, it's two bills (10 & 5) v. 5 bills (10 & four 1s). Less in my wallet.
Is it really worth the trouble? Or you just trying to prove you're smarter than someone else? I know a lot of people do that because they think they actually have more money

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Is it really worth the trouble? Or you just trying to prove you're smarter than someone else? I know a lot of people do that because they think they actually have more money
I always shed smaller bills ASAP. I also carry a very small wallet. I want as little folded up paper as necessary in there.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I want less in my wallet as I just said. There is a psychological component to it as well. The larger bills you have, the less likely you are to spend them. So, from a simple spending aspect, I personally tend to spend less when I have larger denominations in my wallet. Try it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm wondering how different the kiosks are from the old automats back when I lived in NYC. You walked in, located the compartment with what you wanted, put your coins in and took the food out. Of course, people back behind were scurrying around...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, I've seen this, and to some it might seem revolutionary, but it's still deep in its infancy. For the McDonalds type of purchaser of music, this will satisfy, but real creativity is a long way off.

I can't find it now but someone posted a midi translation of one of these generated tunes versus a theme from a respected composer - when you strip away the 'orchestra' (the link above is obviously not a real orchestra) and play tune with simple tones, the difference is pretty startling.

IOW, I'm not worried, and I don't think it's denial. From all I've seen in the industry we're still long way from creative thought that can rival humans...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.