How big of a jump can we realistically expect from Jalen? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: How big of a jump can we realistically expect from Jalen?

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    My biggest concern, which started late last year when it dawned on me, is that a significant portion of the completion percentage and yards were really "1-yard-pass" jet sweeps.
    This.
    Don't get me wrong, a yard is a yard, but some of these "passes" were 1 yard in the air and forty yards on the ground.
    I'd be curious what Jalen stats were if we took away the jet sweep 1-yard passes (and the yards after the catch) and see how he did compared to the same methodology with McCarron and MacElroy.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Third Team

Expect a strong ground game making Jalen's passing attack easier this year. Also expect improvement in pass accuracy and a lot of help from the receivers.

Football and Basketball Moderator

If you took away all the behind the LOS passes from McCarron and McElroy, their numbers wouldn't look as hot either. Especially under McElwain, the tailback delayed screen was a staple and almost a lock for 10+ yards per attempt. McCarron developed into a stud by his second year but still those two chewed up a lot of numbers off screens to Heisman quality tailbacks.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    If you took away all the behind the LOS passes from McCarron and McElroy, their numbers wouldn't look as hot either. Especially under McElwain, the tailback delayed screen was a staple and almost a lock for 10+ yards per attempt. McCarron developed into a stud by his second year but still those two chewed up a lot of numbers off screens to Heisman quality tailbacks.
    Case in point - 77 yard touchdown pass behind the LOS.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

McCarron and McElroy also played behind significantly better Oline. Although they probably didn't have as good of WR units for the most part.

If you go back and read scouting reports on Jalen they almost all say his strength was the deep ball. That seems like a sign that last year he was just getting the hang of the speed in college so I would expect that area to be greatly improved.
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; June 23rd, 2017 at 04:02 PM.

BamaNation All-American

There really needs to be a new way of tracking about stats to distinguish between down field passing and behind the line passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blake Sims set records in his one year as QB, and he set those records primarily on those behind the line of scrimmage passes and jet sweeps.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    There really needs to be a new way of tracking about stats to distinguish between down field passing and behind the line passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bet the analysts for college and pro teams keep just such a stat and likely more about their QBs and their opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    As I've said before his army isn't the issue
    The force is strong with The Army of Hurts

Quote Originally Posted by edwd58 View Post
    Blake Sims set records in his one year as QB, and he set those records primarily on those behind the line of scrimmage passes and jet sweeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    This is one reason I took some exception to people trying to dismiss Hurt's passing numbers as being driven by this stuff. Even with the chart showing some of his downfield passing weaknesses, it also illustrated some areas across the line of scrimmage where he was well above average. It's part of the game, other QBs do it to. I think Hurts can and should improve in downfield passing, but it's not as big an issue as some seem to portray it as.

Quote Originally Posted by PitMaster View Post
    The force is strong with The Army of Hurts
    Heh, you know I caught it before you read your quote but now I'm thinking I should have left it.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Hurts has more arm than any QB we've had other than maybe Coker. Arm strength is always a bit overrated compared to touch and location, but if he can locate those bombs a bit better as he did in the A-Day game then he's gonna be closer to Heisman quality than many people seem willing to admit.

Big IF because live ball is different than a Spring game...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

I feel confident Jalen will be much improved.
    I also feel confident that Clemson in the 2nd quarter believed they could almost ignore down the field passing which precipitated a bunch of other problems for the Alabama offense.
    Hopefully, we make enough people pay dearly for not taking Jalen's down the field throwing seriously, so that they are afraid to crowd the line of scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Case in point - 77 yard touchdown pass behind the LOS.

I could watch that all night.
    Some people are immune to good advice.