How big of a jump can we realistically expect from Jalen? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: How big of a jump can we realistically expect from Jalen?

Quote Originally Posted by bodiddle View Post
    Listen people, take Jalen Hurts from last year and multiply him by 10, maybe even by 15 and that is what you are going to have this year. He is a freak talent both physically and mentally and by the end of the first game all the doubt expressed in the above posts will be gone forever.
    Crimson brother, if you are correct they can just go ahead and send the NC trophy to T-town.

But honestly, if JH is slightly improved in his passing skills, we're going to be a tough out to anybody!!!

2. Advertisement

An improved Jalen and a good O-line = a record setting offense IMO.

I don't know how much better he'll get, but if he gets considerably better, he will be a nightmare for defenses. A sub 4.5 forty QB who runs like a back and can pass would be a dream come true.

BamaNation All-American

The kid is a winner who has the confidence of a pretty darn persnickety head coach and his team. He has the IT factor that allows him to make big time plays at huge moments. I really think he's going take a huge step forward and be a great QB.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    My biggest concern, which started late last year when it dawned on me, is that a significant portion of the completion percentage and yards were really "1-yard-pass" jet sweeps. They could just as well have been handoffs, like an end-around. The point is, this play was almost completely diagnosed and defeated by the defenses we played against at the end of the season.

So I think (really, hope) the jet sweep is going away. This starts us at a lower baseline from last year, which means we are hoping for a bigger increment overall, into more of a "standard" passing game, with drop backs, play actions, and QB draws.
    We do have a different Offensive Coordinator this year. Got to remember those are the guys who call the plays. If a QB doesn't run the plays called, he's gonna be in the Dog House.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar

I wouldn't overlook how our running game can help the passing game. As stated above Kiffin was the best at setting up touchdown plays but it came at the expense of clock management.

BamaNation All-SEC dadleyblane5's Avatar

I wish over the summer break that he would go and get with that QB guru that Blake Sims got with before his last season. I think it would help his game. I saw tremendous improvement in Blake that next year.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    The kid is a winner who has the confidence of a pretty darn persnickety head coach and his team. He has the IT factor that allows him to make big time plays at huge moments. I really think he's going take a huge step forward and be a great QB.
    Agree wholeheartedly. Particularly if the staff can find a couple of guys who can play consistent, winning football on the right side of the O line.

Quote Originally Posted by dadleyblane5 View Post
    I wish over the summer break that he would go and get with that QB guru that Blake Sims got with before his last season. I think it would help his game. I saw tremendous improvement in Blake that next year.
    Quite frankly, that was the most improved QB from one season to the next I've ever seen in my life. I'd have bet my life that Coker would be starting, given Sims prior history of just......ugh. That being said, as much as Namath, Mcarron, etc have been great (and Hurts will be too) Sims might be my favorite, just because if we're all being honest, no one expected that season out of him.

And holy crap, the auburn game where he shook off those three interceptions and the comeback.
    Last edited by tattooguy21; June 27th, 2017 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooguy21 View Post
    Quite frankly, that was the most improved QB from one season to the next I've ever seen in my life. I'd have bet my life that Coker would be starting, given Sims prior history of just......ugh. That being said, as much as Namath, Mcarron, etc have been great (and Hurts will be too) Sims might be my favorite, just because if we're ask being honest, no one expected that season out of him.

And holy crap, the auburn game where he shook off those three interceptions and the comeback.
    Couldn't agree more...whatever Lane Kiffin did wrong...he got that year right.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    We don't really know how weak he might have been in the middle. At one point, I got curious and looked back at his UT and USC tenures. He's never been known for either the deep ball or routes across the middle, either one. At one point, at USC, he had the #s 2 and 3 recruiting-ranked pro QBs on his squad and the USC fans were screaming for deep balls, and not getting them. After the exhibition at A-Day, not using the fly pattern seems a travesty. Also, all routes across the middle don't have to be crossing routes. There are curls and hitch and goes, lower risk and lower timing routes. IOW, I think it may have been just in Kiff's DNA not to utilize the middle or deep ball, probably compounded by doubt in his QB...
    Even if he didn't use the deep ball a lot, he used it enough with Sims and Coker to at least force the defense to respect that part of the field. Who could forget him throwing up the TD sign so early (with both Sims and Coker) because he KNEW the deep ball was open and that the QB would connect. Even without the strongest arm, Sims had a beautiful deep ball...

For whatever reason, Jalen didn't/couldn't connect on those last year. We tried it a good bit early in the season, he has the arm to get the ball down the field so more than likely it was a timing thing with the receivers because he'd typically overthrow it. From A-day it appeared to be clicking and if that holds and defenses have to respect the deep parts of the field also, Jalen should have a great year, even if the stats change due to a change in play-calling with fewer jet sweeps and such.

BamaNation First Team yesitsmed23's Avatar

If he improves the way AJ improved from his first starting season to his second year as starter, then he will have a tremendous season.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I think the playcalling was partially due to perceptions on limitations in Hurts' game. To be honest, Kiffin's offensive approach worked well with veteran year one starters but I don't think his system is great for a truly young guy. Kiffin is one of the best. He's a true playcaller and less of an offensive strategist in my opinion. He's one of the best at finding touchdowns but it requires a guy at quarterback who knows a lot of plays. Hurts needed a pared down playbook and Kiffin kinda suffered for it against the best defenses.

Hurts really could have used one of those OCs who has about a 1 page front and back playbook but layers the calls on one another in a way where the defense is rarely right.
    I saw a quote somewhere that described Kiffin as a guy who could pull out a play that beat you 3 weeks ago or some gadget play that will wreck you but he's not much of a developer. And I think his playcalling showed that last year. To me it was Kiffin trying to win games at the possible expense of Jalen's development. Hopefully, Daboll will be a bigger help this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    For every negative, there's a, "Yeah but...." Likewise for every positive, there's also a, "Yeah but..."

There's no question in my mind that Tua has a higher ceiling as a passer. I seriously doubt that Tua will ever be the runner Jalen is today.
    Disagree here. It's clear Tua has a higher floor but I don't think we have seen enough of either of them to know who has the higher ceiling as a passer.

Quote Originally Posted by bodiddle View Post
    Listen people, take Jalen Hurts from last year and multiply him by 10, maybe even by 15 and that is what you are going to have this year. He is a freak talent both physically and mentally and by the end of the first game all the doubt expressed in the above posts will be gone forever.
    This is bold. Although I do think his down field passing will be a strength this year. His scouting reports coming out raved about his deep ball accuracy and touch. The fact that he struggled with it last year means to me that he was struggling to adjust to college speed. With a year under his belt I think his deep ball will see a HUGE jump.