How big of a jump can we realistically expect from Jalen?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Throwing it around to the TEs and RBs at that rate is usually a sign of limited personnel...at least in my opinion.
Like I said, his personnel was pretty bad. Just look at the players that had a reception:

Mohamed Massaquoi
Jerome Harrison
Chansi Stuckey
Mike Furrey
Evan Moore
Braylon Edwards
Joshua Cribbs
Robert Royal
Brian Robiskie
Jamal Lewis
Steve Heiden
Michael Gaines
Chris Jennings
Greg Estandia
Lawrence Vickers
Brady Quinn
James Davis
Benjamin Watson
Peyton Hillis
Mike Bell
Colt McCoy
Seneca Wallace
Sam Aiken
Alex Smith
Brandon Marshall
Brian Hartline
Davone Bass
Anthony Fasano
Reggie Bush
Charles Clay
Daniel Thomas
Lex Hilliard
Clyde Gates
Jeron Mastrud
Steve Slaton
Dwayne Bowe
Tony Moeaki
Dexter McCluster
Jonathan Baldwin
Jamaal Charles
Shaun Draughn
Terrance Cooper
Steve Breaston
Jamar Newsom
Kevin Boss
Devon Wylie
Sateve Maneri
Nate Eachus
Cyrus Gray
Jake O'Connell

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Like I said, his personnel was pretty bad. Just look at the players that had a reception:

Mohamed Massaquoi
Jerome Harrison
Chansi Stuckey
Mike Furrey
Evan Moore
Braylon Edwards
Joshua Cribbs
Robert Royal
Brian Robiskie
Jamal Lewis
Steve Heiden
Michael Gaines
Chris Jennings
Greg Estandia
Lawrence Vickers
Brady Quinn
James DavisBenjamin Watson
Peyton Hillis
Mike Bell
Colt McCoy
Seneca Wallace
Sam Aiken
Alex Smith
Brandon Marshall
Brian Hartline
Davone Bass
Anthony Fasano
Reggie Bush
Charles Clay
Daniel Thomas
Lex Hilliard
Clyde Gates
Jeron Mastrud
Steve Slaton
Dwayne Bowe
Tony Moeaki
Dexter McCluster
Jonathan Baldwin
Jamaal Charles
Shaun Draughn
Terrance Cooper
Steve Breaston
Jamar Newsom
Kevin Boss
Devon Wylie
Sateve Maneri
Nate Eachus
Cyrus Gray
Jake O'Connell
Man, finding and posting all those names was a lot of work.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I kind of look at it a different way. Yes, his offenses sucked for the most part. No, I don't think he has a great resume (as offensive coordinator). May be that's all what he had to work with, but the truth is if he was a successful NFL OC, he wouldn't be coming to Alabama.

However, mediocre or even bad in the NFL can still translate to great in college. Look no further than the last two great Alabama head coaches. Stallings and Saban were a combined 38-51 as NFL head coaches. At Alabama? A combined 189-35

I would love to see something on Daboll's resume that says he's a great college OC. That would make me feel better. But, the truth is if he was even a mediocre NFL offensive coordinator, he'll probably be a very good college coordinator.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Mohamed Massaquoi
Jerome Harrison
Chansi Stuckey
Mike Furrey
Evan Moore
Braylon Edwards
Joshua Cribbs
Robert Royal
Brian Robiskie
Jamal Lewis
Steve Heiden
Michael Gaines
Chris Jennings
Greg Estandia
Lawrence Vickers
Brady Quinn
James Davis
Benjamin Watson
Peyton Hillis
Mike Bell
Colt McCoy
Seneca Wallace
Sam Aiken
Alex Smith
Brandon Marshall
Brian Hartline
Davone Bass
Anthony Fasano
Reggie Bush
Charles Clay
Daniel Thomas
Lex Hilliard
Clyde Gates
Jeron Mastrud
Steve Slaton
Dwayne Bowe
Tony Moeaki
Dexter McCluster
Jonathan Baldwin
Jamaal Charles
Shaun Draughn
Terrance Cooper
Steve Breaston
Jamar Newsom
Kevin Boss
Devon Wylie
Sateve Maneri
Nate Eachus
Cyrus Gray
Jake O'Connell
Colt McCoy, Alex Smith, and Brady Quinn had receptions? That really is speading it around!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Colt McCoy, Alex Smith, and Brady Quinn had receptions? That really is speading it around!
Different Alex Smith

Believe the other two got receptions because of Josh Cribbs' ridiculous athletic ability and what plays team ran with him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Mohamed Massaquoi
Jerome Harrison
Chansi Stuckey
Mike Furrey
Evan Moore
Braylon Edwards
Joshua Cribbs
Robert Royal
Brian Robiskie
Jamal Lewis
Steve Heiden
Michael Gaines
Chris Jennings
Greg Estandia
Lawrence Vickers
Brady Quinn
James Davis
Benjamin Watson
Peyton Hillis
Mike Bell
Colt McCoy
Seneca Wallace
Sam Aiken
Alex Smith
Brandon Marshall
Brian Hartline
Davone Bass
Anthony Fasano
Reggie Bush
Charles Clay
Daniel Thomas
Lex Hilliard
Clyde Gates
Jeron Mastrud
Steve Slaton
Dwayne Bowe
Tony Moeaki
Dexter McCluster
Jonathan Baldwin
Jamaal Charles
Shaun Draughn
Terrance Cooper
Steve Breaston
Jamar Newsom
Kevin Boss
Devon Wylie
Sateve Maneri
Nate Eachus
Cyrus Gray
Jake O'Connell
Not many All-Pro players on this list...maybe 3 or 4 max.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
We'll know by the end of FSU. I don't think we will beat them if he is the Hurts of last year.

I think he did great last year ... great for a frosh. Historically great for a frosh.

But, all we have to go on regarding this year is A Day. He looked phenomenal in the A-Day. If he had looked like last year, and given how Tua looked, we would have a legit QB competition right now.

But he looked awesome. And that will either carry over into FSU, or it won't. We will either go back to wondering if he can get it done, with a significant number of people wanting Tua to get a fair shot, or, the entire football world will shutter at the deadly duel threat he has become, and we will be odds on favorites to go all the way.

A lot is riding on FSU.

Last edited:

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
He jumped over a couple of DB's last year. I really think he has it in him to hurdle a defensive linemen this year!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not many All-Pro players on this list...maybe 3 or 4 max.
Other than Peyton Hillis, I'm not sure there's an All-Pro on the list.

Back to Jalen... Heard someone last week say we had an OC that checked out after the Mississippi State game. Everyone remember that game? We put up 615 yards.

Took our numbers out of State's season total and averaged their other 12 games. Their yards allowed average went from 459.1 yards to 446.1. I'm not saying this to bring Kiffin up. Just pointing out how good last year's offense was at times when everything was clicking.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Other than Peyton Hillis, I'm not sure there's an All-Pro on the list.

Back to Jalen... Heard someone last week say we had an OC that checked out after the Mississippi State game. Everyone remember that game? We put up 615 yards.

Took our numbers out of State's season total and averaged their other 12 games. Their yards allowed average went from 459.1 yards to 446.1. I'm not saying this to bring Kiffin up. Just pointing out how good last year's offense was at times when everything was clicking.
And if I remember correctly, most thought the MSU game last year was a effort to advance Jalen as a QB. Too bad we didn't take that same aggressiveness into the playoffs.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
MSU was possibly the worst defense we saw last year in an SEC not exactly full of good defenses (a rarity). Still a good example of the Kiffin era: he'd usually decimate the teams he should but against elite competition it was more choppy. You can't say he no-showed against top competition consistently because there are some explosive outings but almost all his problems came against the kind of competition where you pay a guy 1mil or more to make the difference. I expect Alabama to show up and put 50+ on that 2016 MSU defense just because of recruiting. I don't expect a 1mil coordinator to manage only 10 points when the defense has quite literally neutered the LSU Tigers offense. I don't care how good their defense may be. I don't care how young our QB may be. When you shut down two phases of your opponent's football team you ought to have more points than just 10.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
MSU was possibly the worst defense we saw last year in an SEC not exactly full of good defenses (a rarity).
The counter to that would be that Hurts played the #1 SoS. He just happened to play some of the best defenses at the end of the season, at a point in time in which Kiffin was distracted. A lot of people concluded that was regression, but what would one expect under those circumstances? Anyway, I think the MSU game was a reminder that if Hurts was playing against a fairly pedestrian defense, he could be great against them. For the sake of comparison, some conferences are just made up of pedestrian defenses. So, a game like MSU would be an average game and not an exception.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
MSU was possibly the worst defense we saw last year in an SEC not exactly full of good defenses (a rarity). Still a good example of the Kiffin era: he'd usually decimate the teams he should but against elite competition it was more choppy. You can't say he no-showed against top competition consistently because there are some explosive outings but almost all his problems came against the kind of competition where you pay a guy 1mil or more to make the difference. I expect Alabama to show up and put 50+ on that 2016 MSU defense just because of recruiting. I don't expect a 1mil coordinator to manage only 10 points when the defense has quite literally neutered the LSU Tigers offense. I don't care how good their defense may be. I don't care how young our QB may be. When you shut down two phases of your opponent's football team you ought to have more points than just 10.
I agree with your point up to a point, but it did have a lot to do with what we could get out of the quarterback at that time. Jalen was quite uncomfortable in the pocket and he kind of saved the day by scrambling, but his passing that day was really ineffective.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.