How big of a jump can we realistically expect from Jalen? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Re: How big of a jump can we realistically expect from Jalen?

It's a difficult question because last year was almost a step back from the beginning to end. The staff just screwed up, I know Kiffin didn't do a very good job and it's possible the staff as a whole took a too safe approach, The most egregious mistake was not improving him over the weeks of practice heading into the playoffs. I was floored at how bad a game he had against Washington.

Now we have a new day, The staff gambled and lost on the biggest stage imaginable, They can't use the "Hurts is young" excuse any more. They better have him ready to play big boy ball. If I'm the new OC I figure if I go down I aint going down like that, Hurts is a GREAT FOOTBALL PLAYER and he has CHARACTER. If you were going to bet on someone, this kid is the type you want to bet your rear on. Play I'm afraid to make a mistake ball and you eviscerate him as a playmaker. Like I said, if I fail it aint gonna be like that. But I'm not the coach.
    BS 1989

2. Advertisement

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation First Team

Excellent post. I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    It's a difficult question because last year was almost a step back from the beginning to end. The staff just screwed up, I know Kiffin didn't do a very good job and it's possible the staff as a whole took a too safe approach, The most egregious mistake was not improving him over the weeks of practice heading into the playoffs. I was floored at how bad a game he had against Washington.

Now we have a new day, The staff gambled and lost on the biggest stage imaginable, They can't use the "Hurts is young" excuse any more. They better have him ready to play big boy ball. If I'm the new OC I figure if I go down I aint going down like that, Hurts is a GREAT FOOTBALL PLAYER and he has CHARACTER. If you were going to bet on someone, this kid is the type you want to bet your rear on. Play I'm afraid to make a mistake ball and you eviscerate him as a playmaker. Like I said, if I fail it aint gonna be like that. But I'm not the coach.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This is either totally incorrect (saw stats with his numbers when pressured and they were horrible) or skewed by adding in the shuffle passes. The only stats that mattered were the wins, but you have to take his completion stats with a grain of salt. He will not be running that offense again in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    This is either totally incorrect (saw stats with his numbers when pressured and they were horrible) or skewed by adding in the shuffle passes. The only stats that mattered were the wins, but you have to take his completion stats with a grain of salt. He will not be running that offense again in 2017.
    Well, I think the key here is that when he doesn't have to think about it or read the field he is really accurate. It is probably skewed by shuffle passes as well but it makes a lot of sense to me that he would be more accurate on quick passes. He was bad against pressure but I bet you he holds the ball longer vs pressure trying to extend a play so has the ball for more than 2.5 seconds.

Also posted the link in the other thread, but here are some quotes about Jalen's performance this weekend at the Manning Passing Academy that stand out to me:

"Jalen threw the deep ball really well in that Friday workout," said Senior Bowl scouting coordinator Patrick Woo. "When you go back to last year, that was something Alabama didn't utilize all that much was the deep ball and obviously he missed a few in the playoff games, but I think that's his biggest strength is throwing the deep ball. He's big. He's obviously smart. And he definitely has a live arm. That's for sure. That ball really zips out of his hand."
    The feedback was similar from Senior Bowl executive director and former NFL executive Phil Savage, who was also in attendance for that Friday workout.

"He is physically strong and has a powerful arm," Savage said of the 6-foot-2 Hurts, who is up to about 225 pounds. "I still think his deep ball is his best throw. He can rainbow it out there. I would think it was a very positive experience for him, being around the Mannings and all those other top-shelf QBs."
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Also posted the link in the other thread, but here are some quotes about Jalen's performance this weekend at the Manning Passing Academy that stand out to me:
    This jives with his HS scouting report. I'm starting to think Kiffin seriously misused the kid in the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Well, I think the key here is that when he doesn't have to think about it or read the field he is really accurate.
    Even if it's really short stuff, accurate is accurate. We've seen QBs that made short passes an adventure, some are harder than they look. The takeaway here, yet again is that he has an ability to get the ball where he needs to. In such a short time frame, the variables are dramatically cut down, so he has less to factor into the decision making process. Struggle under pressure or what not, what true freshman hasn't?

Kenny Hill is on that list and I always felt like his handling was botched by Sumlin (Sims has similar struggles against the same teams, only he didn't have to face Alabama). Hurts mental development isn't a given yet, but he seems to have been handled well. Lots of reasons for optimism.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar

The deep threat opens up so much for an offense. We have receivers that will always go get the ball if it's close to just a long, jump ball. I especially like a point Tide-HSV made about short dig patters and those type throws for our short to intermediate passing game. With an improved O'line and healthy more experienced running backs I'm not as worried about QB ratings as I am executing the play at the most advantageous time.
    Kiffin was great at explosive plays but put too much pressure on the defense against teams that could also execute explosive plays and play sound defense. So I think we'll be strong at the QB position and that bodes well for our entire team.

Extremely glad we have Daboll over Sark. In my opinion Sarkisian would have been Kiffin lite. Very lite.

BamaNation All-American Bama Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    My biggest concern, which started late last year when it dawned on me, is that a significant portion of the completion percentage and yards were really "1-yard-pass" jet sweeps. They could just as well have been handoffs, like an end-around. The point is, this play was almost completely diagnosed and defeated by the defenses we played against at the end of the season.

So I think (really, hope) the jet sweep is going away. This starts us at a lower baseline from last year, which means we are hoping for a bigger increment overall, into more of a "standard" passing game, with drop backs, play actions, and QB draws.
    The jet sweep is not going away. It is a base play that has to be used to set up other parts of the offense
    Ya gotta believe!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

I am re-watching the 2016 season. Jalen is going to really miss Ardarius Stewart. Stewart was Jalen's security blanket. He knew Stewart would really fight for the ball, even if the pass was not well-thrown. At times when Jalen needed a confidence boost, the coaches would dial up a Jalen to Ardarius pass and that would settle Jalen down.
    Hopefully, Jalen has that kind of feel for all the receiving corps this coming year, but Ardarius was Jalen's best friend in 2016.

I think Jalen and the entire offense is going to benefit greatly from the downfield speed at wide receiver. It may be the fastest overall group we've ever had. It's going to help Jalen immensely to be able to throw to a spot on a deep timing pattern rather than having to check down from 3 to 2 to 1 and making constant decisions.
    Plus, when those fast receivers go deep the DB's have no choice to go with them, and the backers have to back up in coverage as well. That makes the running game flat out dangerous if the O-Line can get our backs past the line of scrimmage. And, if a play completely falls apart Jalen's got the legs to turn a possible ten yard sack into a fifty yard touchdown run.
    I'm pretty confident that this offense will be one of the best in the Nick Saban era at Bama.
    The talent level is ridiculous.
    sip
    Last edited by Alasippi; July 13th, 2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I think Jalen and the entire offense is going to benefit greatly from the downfield speed at wide receiver. It may be the fastest overall group we've ever had. It's going to help Jalen immensely to be able to throw to a spot on a deep timing pattern rather than having to check down from 3 to 2 to 1 and making constant decisions.
    Plus, when those fast receivers go deep the DB's have no choice to go with them, and the backers have to back up in coverage as well. That makes the running game flat out dangerous if the O-Line can get our backs past the line of scrimmage. And, if a play completely falls apart Jalen's got the legs to turn a possible ten yard sack into a fifty yard touchdown run.
    I'm pretty confident that this offense will be one of the best in the Nick Saban era at Bama.
    The talent level is ridiculous.
    sip
    I am with you sip. If it isn't the best or one of the best it will be on the coaching staff.