Why is the US Government giving exclusive rights to a Zika Vaccine to a Pharma giant

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
When the Vaccine is being developed by the Army using tax dollars?

t’s a familiar, if tragic, pattern: A medical breakthrough is discovered at public expense, only to be licensed to a private corporation that earns billions of dollars by making it unaffordable for ordinary people.

The latest such giveaway involves a vaccine for the Zika virus, which can cause microcephaly, blindness, deafness, and calcification of the brain in children whose mothers were infected during pregnancy. Though the new vaccine is still being tested, it shows great promise. It was developed at the Walter Reed Army Institute for Research, and the Department of the Army funded its development.

Now the Army is planning to grant exclusive rights to this potentially groundbreaking medicine–along with as much as $173 million in funding from the Department of Health and Human Services—to the French pharmaceutical corporation Sanofi Pasteur. Sanofi manufactures a number of vaccines, but it’s also faced repeated allegations of overcharges and fraud. Should the vaccine prove effective, Sanofi would be free to charge whatever it wants for it in the United States. Ultimately, the vaccine could end up being unaffordable for those most vulnerable to Zika, and for cash-strapped states.

Activists and lawmakers have been resisting the giveaway since a nongovernmental organization called Knowledge Ecology International (KEI) first raised the alarm late last year. Its campaign gained new momentum last week when elected officials from Florida, including Senator Bill Nelson and nine members of the House of Representatives, wrote letters of objection to acting Army Secretary Robert Speer. The legislators called for public hearings before any licensing agreement is finalized. “Providing a single drugmaker exclusive control over a desperately needed vaccine could create an environment in which the vaccine is unaffordable to those who need it most,” Nelson wrote. “Given the considerable federal investment and the need for the vaccine, I believe it’s critical that the vaccine be available and accessible to the taxpayers who already invested in the research and development of the vaccine.”

https://www.thenation.com/article/t...ccine-why-should-big-pharma-reap-the-profits/

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
When the Vaccine is being developed by the Army using tax dollars?

https://www.thenation.com/article/t...ccine-why-should-big-pharma-reap-the-profits/
I would love to hear the reasoning, if the Army developed the vaccine, why a private company should be given exclusive rights to distro-ing the vaccine.
In my view the only acceptable reason for giving a company exclusive rights is if the drug/vaccine has not been invented yet, to give a private organization an incentive to develop it. (How much would it be worth to have a pill that cured cancer?) and then, only for a limited amount of time. I'd say seven years, renewable to fourteen if there is some compelling reason to do so.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Forget the U.S., the people who will really need this are in Central and South America. It's VERY difficult for mosquito borne illness to really get a foothold in the U.S. because mosquitos don't do well indoors with air conditioning and our water sources aren't as utilitarian - and our modern mosquito control methods actually do a decent job. (Anybody remember the Zika scare last year and the West Nile scare before that and the St. Louis Encephalitis scare before that?)

But for the poor in Latin America who regularly get rocked by mosquito borne-illness (dengue and chikungunya are much more worrisome than Zika) this vaccine could be a savior. These people live in houses that do not have air conditioning or any sort of weather sealing in any way. And they collect water from areas that are prime breeding grounds for the Aedes Aegyptai mosquito which carries all 3 of the above diseases. Most poor or rural families use what's called a "Pila" which is basically a large concrete basin used to hold water. It's usually about half the length of a bathtub but twice as deep, if you can picture it. The water in the pila is used for drinking, cooking, cleaning clothes, dishes, and bathing...just about everything you can use water for. They have no other way of retaining water other than to collect it from a distant source or a water truck that stops by once a week. These pilas (or the filthy creeks they get their water from) are prime breeding grounds for this species of mosquito, and with little physical protection from a source so close to the home many of these people get dominated by these illnesses on a yearly basis. Not to mention the AA mosquito typically flies close to the ground in cooler, (not cold) dark places which attracts them into the homes of these people. Mosquito nets only really work over beds, but these little buggers get your ankles. Their bites are almost imperceptible.

Our organization is working on various biological control methods for the Aedes Aegyptai mosquito (turtles, various species of fish, and copepods) but let's be real, the magic bullet is a vaccine - or perhaps genome sequencing to reduce the overall population of AA mosquitos (which are not native to these areas btw.)

I really hope for these people's sake that the product will be produced by competing organizations and that it becomes affordable. Frankly, I think it will be since the main market for this drug will likely not be in the U.S. but in Latin America, and their financial threshold for access is infinitely lower than ours.

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
(Anybody remember the Zika scare last year and the West Nile scare before that and the St. Louis Encephalitis scare before that?)
I remember living in NYC back when it was normal to have mosquitoes all summer long in the city. Then one year someone yelled "West Nile" and the next year they all just disappeared.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I remember living in NYC back when it was normal to have mosquitoes all summer long in the city. Then one year someone yelled "West Nile" and the next year they all just disappeared.
Right. And to be clear, I'm not saying people shouldn't be aware of mosquito borne illnesses here in the U.S. and we DO have a population of poor who WILL be affected by this illness, but it will not be large or widespread.

In men the Zika virus is mild, out of work for maybe a day - most of our staff in these countries have had it and never said a word. But this is a disease whose greatest impact is on pregnant women and VERY young children - and even then symptoms only present in about 10% of cases. It's the propaganda of seeing those children with misshapen heads that galvanizes people into action. Of course it's horrible and we should work to stop it but there will never be a mass outbreak of deadly Zika in the U.S. - even for the poor. Again, Dengue and Chikungunya are the real killers. I'm sure we will hear lots about Zika again in the future once this vaccine gets released so that everyone can line up and get the shot.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Right. And to be clear, I'm not saying people shouldn't be aware of mosquito borne illnesses here in the U.S. and we DO have a population of poor who WILL be affected by this illness, but it will not be large or widespread.

In men the Zika virus is mild, out of work for maybe a day - most of our staff in these countries have had it and never said a word. But this is a disease whose greatest impact is on pregnant women and VERY young children - and even then symptoms only present in about 10% of cases. It's the propaganda of seeing those children with misshapen heads that galvanizes people into action. Of course it's horrible and we should work to stop it but there will never be a mass outbreak of deadly Zika in the U.S. - even for the poor. Again, Dengue and Chikungunya are the real killers. I'm sure we will hear lots about Zika again in the future once this vaccine gets released so that everyone can line up and get the shot.
Zika doesn't really worry me at all as I am past my baby making days, but Chikungunya does worry me a bit

what charity is it that you are referencing?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Nearly all mosquitoes in US urban areas were bred in someone's back yard.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.