News Article: Missouri to rent empty dorm rooms to fans

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Missouri set to rent empty dorm rooms to fans for football weekends

"Homecoming could be taken to another level at Missouri this fall with a chance for Tigers fans to actually spend a weekend in their old dorm rooms.

As part of an effort to make up several budget shortfalls and adjust to dwindling freshman enrollment, Mizzou revealed plans this week to rent out unused dorm rooms in residence halls for football games and other campus events. The St. Louis Post Dispatch adds that the concept has been in the works for some time and a mind-boggling seven residence halls have been taken offline in the wake of a huge drop in the number of students following a number of serious issues at the Columbia campus."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...pty-dorm-rooms-to-fans-for-football-weekends/

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wow! a 7%+ drop in freshmen! I guess we get so used to the rapid growth at Bama, it's hard to grasp that kind of trouble. Must be more going wrong in addition to relations with football team. Back in the '70s, I stayed with my family in a dorm of the University of Bergen, Norway. It shuts down for the month of July. The Fantoft dorm was brand new and in severe Scandinavian style - all wood and concrete. It was super cheap, compared to the usual sky-high Norwegian lodging prices...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wow! a 7%+ drop in freshmen! I guess we get so used to the rapid growth at Bama, it's hard to grasp that kind of trouble. Must be more going wrong in addition to relations with football team. Back in the '70s, I stayed with my family in a dorm of the University of Bergen, Norway. It shuts down for the month of July. The Fantoft dorm was brand new and in severe Scandinavian style - all wood and concrete. It was super cheap, compared to the usual sky-high Norwegian lodging prices...
I posted the story in the thread about the issues from two years ago earlier this week. Might not be related, but the overall enrollment has taken a nosedive since that took place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I posted the story in the thread about the issues from two years ago earlier this week. Might not be related, but the overall enrollment has taken a nosedive since that took place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure what conclusion was reached in that thread but I would take it to show that, right or wrong, students don't want to attend a campus with drama or tension. For me at least I wanted to go to a normal school that was a little low-key and treated students more like adults. If I had been considering Mizzou at the time all this went down the general ruckus and unsettled nature would have been enough to keep me away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My guess is it came down to a safety issue and the decision was made by the parents of these potential students that chose to go elsewhere. No way I'm allowing my son or daughter go to a college where I feel it is unsafe. Granted, you have your normal risks that come with any college campus. But the climate at Missouri could have easily been perceived as volatile and unsafe. How the college handled it probably didn't help either.

Not sure what conclusion was reached in that thread but I would take it to show that, right or wrong, students don't want to attend a campus with drama or tension. For me at least I wanted to go to a normal school that was a little low-key and treated students more like adults. If I had been considering Mizzou at the time all this went down the general ruckus and unsettled nature would have been enough to keep me away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.