Librarians Learning to Treat ODs

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
This is unsettling...

Long viewed as guardians of safe spaces for children, library staff members like Kowalski have begun taking on the role of first responder in drug overdoses. In at least three major cities -- Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco -- library employees now know, or are set to learn, how to use the drug naloxone, usually known by its brand name Narcan, to help reverse overdoses.

Their training tracks with the disastrous national rise in opioid use and an apparent uptick of overdoses in libraries, which often serve as daytime havens for homeless people and hubs of services in impoverished communities.

In the past two years, libraries in Denver, San Francisco, suburban Chicago and Reading, Pennsylvania have become the site of fatal overdoses.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I work in a public library. While we are not as well known to many as say the local city library, we get random people off the street all the time. During the hottest and coldest times of the year, we usually get people come in to just get out of the weather. I can see how big city public libraries would need to be able to do something like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I agree with JT - That is extremely unsettling. What is driving this heroin "epidemic?"

Is it unemployment numbers? Hopelessness? How are folks getting access to the heroin/affording it?

One of the (many) negative effects of the US invading Afghanistan was that the poppy crops started growing again. The Taliban cut them down.

Mexico is also a leading poppy producer. Maybe instead of all the anti-Mexican rhetoric we need to work a little more closely with our neighbors on some compromises (yep, Mr. Xenophobic DBF said that). Maybe we need to contract with Canada's sharpshooter and take out a few Mexican drug lords.

I think this also ties in to the educational opportunities discussed in the other thread as well. Instead of telling every kid they need to go to college, figure out their skill sets and put them in some real life job training opportunities so this despair and hopeless feeling can be overcome with some creativity, ingenuity and new skill sets that give the kids a feeling hope and not dread.

It seems we are slipping from a 1st world country and slowly descending into a 3rd world country.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I have a friend that was a librarian. He loved it due to his quirky anti-social nature but he hated what his job became. "Homeless babysitter" was how he described his job and that was before this epidemic

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have a friend that was a librarian. He loved it due to his quirky anti-social nature but he hated what his job became. "Homeless babysitter" was how he described his job and that was before this epidemic
Like I said above, where I work isn't the "____ City Public Library" on the corner, so we don't get that many. For those libraries, I know their very much homeless babysitters.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree with JT - That is extremely unsettling. What is driving this heroin "epidemic?"

Is it unemployment numbers? Hopelessness? How are folks getting access to the heroin/affording it?

One of the (many) negative effects of the US invading Afghanistan was that the poppy crops started growing again. The Taliban cut them down.

Mexico is also a leading poppy producer. Maybe instead of all the anti-Mexican rhetoric we need to work a little more closely with our neighbors on some compromises (yep, Mr. Xenophobic DBF said that). Maybe we need to contract with Canada's sharpshooter and take out a few Mexican drug lords.

I think this also ties in to the educational opportunities discussed in the other thread as well. Instead of telling every kid they need to go to college, figure out their skill sets and put them in some real life job training opportunities so this despair and hopeless feeling can be overcome with some creativity, ingenuity and new skill sets that give the kids a feeling hope and not dread.

It seems we are slipping from a 1st world country and slowly descending into a 3rd world country.
part of it is people getting hooked on prescription opioids, then they can't get them any more and switch to heroin

link

Research now suggests that abuse of these medications may actually open the door to heroin use. Nearly half of young people who inject heroin surveyed in three recent studies reported abusing prescription opioids before starting to use heroin. Some individuals reported switching to heroin because it is cheaper and easier to obtain than prescription opioids.2-4

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
part of it is people getting hooked on prescription opioids, then they can't get them any more and switch to heroin

link
One of the ways in which our urge to medicate anything and everything has returned to bit us in the keister. I'm a huge fan of modern medicine but it does not surprise me that in an age of knee-jerk prescriptions we end up with people turning to more powerful alternatives.
I used to laugh at homeopathic medicine (and sometimes I still do!) but it's gained legitimacy in certain arenas and I think it warrants more attention as a semi-effective alternative or ancillary to modern medicine.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
One of the ways in which our urge to medicate anything and everything has returned to bit us in the keister. I'm a huge fan of modern medicine but it does not surprise me that in an age of knee-jerk prescriptions we end up with people turning to more powerful alternatives.
I used to laugh at homeopathic medicine (and sometimes I still do!) but it's gained legitimacy in certain arenas and I think it warrants more attention as a semi-effective alternative or ancillary to modern medicine.
I hate to be pedantic (actually no I don't) but Homeopathy is literally nothing and I mean nothing. There is a difference between natural remedy, like say eating Ginger for an upset stomach and a Homeopathic Remedy which by it's own definition is either pure sugar, water or alcohol with no trace of any other ingredient.

There is also no such thing as "alternative medicine" As Tim Minchin notes in the Beat Poem Storm (can't link due to words but it is awesome please google)

"By definition", I begin
"Alternative Medicine", I continue
"Has either not been proved to work,
Or been proved not to work.
Do you know what they call "alternative medicine"
That's been proved to work?
Medicine."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i agree. with the opiods (oxycontin, etc) i recently read somewhere something to the effect that the pharma companies were pushing these like crazy and claiming that they were not addictive and were perfect for long term management of chronic pain. some of this stuff was being doled out like candy.

i, for one, am lucky that i don't have an addictive personality (or whateve you call it) or chronic pain, because i got loads of this stuff on a few occasions (after surgeries). i quit taking the stuff as quickly as i could manage the post-op pain because the meds made me miserable.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I hate to be pedantic (actually no I don't) but Homeopathy is literally nothing and I mean nothing. There is a difference between natural remedy, like say eating Ginger for an upset stomach and a Homeopathic Remedy which by it's own definition is either pure sugar, water or alcohol with no trace of any other ingredient.

There is also no such thing as "alternative medicine" As Tim Minchin notes in the Beat Poem Storm (can't link due to words but it is awesome please google)
Pardon me, I meant natural remedies or alternative (and I mean alternative not in the current cultural assignation but the ACTUAL meaning of the word "alternative.") treatments.

Case in point. I was recently treated for a non-life threatening disorder. Instead of medicating, which was a valid course of action, the doctor instead started me on physical therapy, stating that he "hated to prescribe something if it could be solved in another way."

I appreciated that option and the treatment has worked wonders. If more doctors (and I know there are many good ones who do this) took similar actions we may not be in as much of a pickle. Though I sill think it would be an issue to some degree given just how well some of these medications work and the severity of the afflictions many of the poor folks are saddled with.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Pardon me, I meant natural remedies or alternative (and I mean alternative not in the current cultural assignation but the ACTUAL meaning of the word "alternative.") treatments.

Case in point. I was recently treated for a non-life threatening disorder. Instead of medicating, which was a valid course of action, the doctor instead started me on physical therapy, stating that he "hated to prescribe something if it could be solved in another way."

I appreciated that option and the treatment has worked wonders. If more doctors (and I know there are many good ones who do this) took similar actions we may not be in as much of a pickle. Though I sill think it would be an issue to some degree given just how well some of these medications work and the severity of the afflictions many of the poor folks are saddled with.
complete agreement. Just part of my nature to call out specifics I suppose. I can't stand when I hear someone say "It's all natural, it's safe" because as I've mentioned here before, Cobra Venom is 100% natural. Or it's "Homeopathic so its safe" and yeah that is technically true because it is pure water that has been diluted to the point where there is no longer any trace of anything but water there and water is generally safe

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.