Tidesports: Alabama Football Eligibility Tracker

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If these other schools throw out the "we are young" excuse, you need to tell them to look at our roster. 51 out of 85 or 60% are freshmen/sophomores.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If these other schools throw out the "we are young" excuse, you need to tell them to look at our roster. 51 out of 85 or 60% are freshmen/sophomores.
Due to so many juniors leaving early, as well as guys transferring due to fears about playing time, we are usually among the younger teams in CFB.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Due to so many juniors leaving early, as well as guys transferring due to fears about playing time, we are usually among the younger teams in CFB.
Yep - Right now Alabama and OSU are far and away the youngest teams in college football year after year. We remain at the top of the sport only because of the level of recruiting. Those players might be young, but they are better than most of the seniors out there in the sport.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Yep - Right now Alabama and OSU are far and away the youngest teams in college football year after year. We remain at the top of the sport only because of the level of recruiting. Those players might be young, but they are better than most of the seniors out there in the sport.
Well, I'd add good coaching to that dynamic... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hey, B1G, given tOSU's recruiting, do they see a lot of transfers? Highly recruited players getting layered in the depth chart, and leaving in search of playing time?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So we don't have a place kicker, or is Scott going to be doing double duty all season?
Andy Papanositis is one option. He's just not on scholarship. Joseph Bulovas is the placekicker Bama signed this year. As mentioned in the link, he's a blueshirt, which means his scholarship doesn't count until the 2018 class but he can play this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hey, B1G, given tOSU's recruiting, do they see a lot of transfers? Highly recruited players getting layered in the depth chart, and leaving in search of playing time?
Not as many as Alabama has seen, but we have a ton of players leave early for the NFL.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Andy Papanositis is one option. He's just not on scholarship. Joseph Bulovas is the placekicker Bama signed this year. As mentioned in the link, he's a blueshirt, which means his scholarship doesn't count until the 2018 class but he can play this year.
I don't understand how you can 1) be on scholarship and 2) play and not count towards the scholarship number for the year you play.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Great information, but a bit disturbing.

Really highlights how much we'll be depending on true freshmen to contribute in a big way on 2018's DL and DB.

Looks like more than the normal amount of growing pains for next year's D.

UAEE93

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 14, 2008
I know. Everything else I've seen says he'll compete for the job and play.
Around NSD, we were all confused about it, and I'm not sure we ever figured it out.
Here's the thread from February. As you can see, we never were able to figure it out. https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280850
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's try this explanation.

http://reignoftroy.com/2015/01/24/football-recruiting-blueshirt/

From the article:
They are eligible to both enroll and play during the initial fall semester following their high school graduation or junior college transfer, but are not counted as an incoming scholarship player until the following year’s recruiting class.
In order to count towards the next allotment of scholarships, blueshirts begin as walk-ons and are not brought on scholarship until after the first day of fall camp.
It’s a contrast from grayshirts, who are not permitted to enroll or play immediately out of high school.
The biggest distinction for blueshirts however, is that the rule interpretation mandates that the players in question are not recruited.

End article.

I am am guessing it is like a grey shirt, except the player was not "recruited". They can enroll in the fall and walk on to the team and play that fall. The article says they get the scholarship at the start of fall camp. I think it makes more since that the scholarship starts after January first, but you never know what the rules will say. Maybe it is like an early enrollee in January where his back counts to last year? This one just forward counts to next year?

what matters is he can play this fall because he was not recruited.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.